Is This Blackface? vol. Olympic Edition

OP somewhere...
ECCD57ED-6C6E-47FA-A9DC-CE06471B73E1.jpeg

As the saying goes, "everybody wants to be a (n-word), but nobody wants to be a (n-word)"

Personally I think the 'talking black' thing is a bit of a contradiction. On the one hand, many white people blatantly appropriate speech patterns that are typically associated with black people. On the other hand, this speech also tends to be described in ways that strongly imply only white speech is 'proper' speech.

As the saying goes, "everybody wants to be a (n-word), but nobody wants to be a (n-word)"

Personally I think the 'talking black' thing is a bit of a contradiction. On the one hand, many white people blatantly appropriate speech patterns that are typically associated with black people. On the other hand, this speech also tends to be described in ways that strongly imply only white speech is 'proper' speech.

“Talking black” and acting “ghetto” are clearly derogatory terms like being “gay”.

I don’t know how one gets the pass and the others don’t.

“Talking black” and acting “ghetto” are clearly derogatory terms like being “gay”.

I don’t know how one gets the pass and the others don’t.
We all know why. Those first 2 solely denigrate black people. The latter is derogatory to all races, including white people.

In all honesty, judging by how many times I've been called a "yank(ee) n-word" (with the hard R) on Xbox Live despite being neither American or black, I'm sure I've subconsciously incorporated or appropriated certain speech patterns into my English that apparently leads some to assume I'm black and/or American.
English class for me started in the 8th grade but by then I had already self-taught myself English at a level far beyond what we'd learn by the end of the 12th grade. Hence why my accent is kind of an amalgamation of various American influences, rather than the more formal British English we're taught in school.

Last edited:
:lol: Yankee n-word. Damn folks just be wanting to get that word off by ANY means on Xbox Li ve.
Xbox Live, especially during the late 2000/early 2010s era, was something else. I think 99% of the time it was just racists letting the N word fly at any opportunity, regardless of whether a black person was even in the lobby, but there were plenty of occasions where the opponent(s) accompanied it with telling me to go back to picking cotton, or go back to Africa etc.
Pretty much always people from the UK, or other parts of Europe.
Back then I assumed it was due to having a deep voice with an American-ish accent, though in hindsight it was probably due to the influence hiphop had on my accent.

Back
Top Bottom