Is Tony Gwynn the most consistent baseball player of all time?

Originally Posted by Mugsy Bogues

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

ted williams....lifetime .344

best.hitter.ever.

Different eras

Modern eras>>>older eras
laugh.gif
ok. OP says ALL TIME, not modern era.

you realize the modern era is completely tainted right? not necessarily in this topic, but in general, the modern era is completely tainted. so your blanket statement sounds ******ed.

Originally Posted by Mugsy Bogues

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

ted williams....lifetime .344

best.hitter.ever.

Different eras

Modern eras>>>older eras
laugh.gif
ok. OP says ALL TIME, not modern era.

you realize the modern era is completely tainted right? not necessarily in this topic, but in general, the modern era is completely tainted. so your blanket statement sounds ******ed.

Willie Mays was known as the most well rounded or most consistent player (hitter/fielder.)
But he was never the best at any one thing, he says so himself.

I put Gwynn with Wade Boggs as my favorite hitters of the 1980's. Gwynn was superior after that
and in terms of lifetime and consistency. Boggs had the scandal and everything, which messed up
his whole career.

Gwynn is certainly a "hitters' hitter" in the same category as Williams, Musial, Cobb, Carew.
A very select group of people. I still have my 1983 Topps set. My first complete set as a kid.

"Hit 'em where they ain't," as Wee Willie Keeler once said.

Willie Mays was known as the most well rounded or most consistent player (hitter/fielder.)
But he was never the best at any one thing, he says so himself.

I put Gwynn with Wade Boggs as my favorite hitters of the 1980's. Gwynn was superior after that
and in terms of lifetime and consistency. Boggs had the scandal and everything, which messed up
his whole career.

Gwynn is certainly a "hitters' hitter" in the same category as Williams, Musial, Cobb, Carew.
A very select group of people. I still have my 1983 Topps set. My first complete set as a kid.

"Hit 'em where they ain't," as Wee Willie Keeler once said.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

For those who are surprised by his bags, dude played PG for SDST in college, still holds some records there I believe.

Guy is a phenomenal athlete
pimp.gif
Well, when everybody thinks of Tony Gwynn they think of him late in his career when he looked like a bowling ball.  Not knowing that throughout the early part of his career he was actually in very good shape.  When baseball hit the steroid era, Gwynn hit the Krispy Kreme era of his career.

His last few years he decided so sync his playing weight to his batting average.

Great hitter.
Every "era" is tainted in some shape, way or form.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

For those who are surprised by his bags, dude played PG for SDST in college, still holds some records there I believe.

Guy is a phenomenal athlete
pimp.gif
Well, when everybody thinks of Tony Gwynn they think of him late in his career when he looked like a bowling ball.  Not knowing that throughout the early part of his career he was actually in very good shape.  When baseball hit the steroid era, Gwynn hit the Krispy Kreme era of his career.

His last few years he decided so sync his playing weight to his batting average.

Great hitter.
Every "era" is tainted in some shape, way or form.

safe to to say, 2 of baseball's greatest hitter are from San Diego.  Ted Williams, born there... Tony Gwynn, played there.
.394 avg during one year 
sick.gif

safe to to say, 2 of baseball's greatest hitter are from San Diego.  Ted Williams, born there... Tony Gwynn, played there.
.394 avg during one year 
sick.gif

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

.394 avg during one year 
sick.gif

Williams actually played for the Padres before they Became the Padres, when they were known as the Hollywood Stars, a Minor League team. 

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

.394 avg during one year 
sick.gif

Williams actually played for the Padres before they Became the Padres, when they were known as the Hollywood Stars, a Minor League team. 

Back
Top Bottom