IT Certifications?

I'm currently going to be a 4th year at my school where I'm pursuing a B.S. in Computer Information Systems. I'm not exactly sure yet what I want to do after I graduate. I'm currently not working in the field and I'm aware that experience is very important in regards to getting a good IT position. I was thinking of obtaining an A+ certification before I graduate & maybe a couple more. Would this help me get an entry level position after I graduate? Also, has anyone heard of or obtained a CIW certification? I've been looking into it as I might want to get into web development.
If any NTers with experience in the IT field could provide some insight it would be greatly appreciated 
smile.gif

I'm currently going to be a 4th year at my school where I'm pursuing a B.S. in Computer Information Systems. I'm not exactly sure yet what I want to do after I graduate. I'm currently not working in the field and I'm aware that experience is very important in regards to getting a good IT position. I was thinking of obtaining an A+ certification before I graduate & maybe a couple more. Would this help me get an entry level position after I graduate? Also, has anyone heard of or obtained a CIW certification? I've been looking into it as I might want to get into web development.
If any NTers with experience in the IT field could provide some insight it would be greatly appreciated 
smile.gif

i depends on where you live...some places have high demand while others dont

and i always assumed that CCNA was a better certification but im not sure

i depends on where you live...some places have high demand while others dont

and i always assumed that CCNA was a better certification but im not sure

Dont bother with A+. it wont help you get a job.

Companies are looking for Microsoft certs like MCSE or MCP, also look into MCDBA and maybe even an oracle cert and if you want to go all in with certs look into some linux certs too.

Only pursue that A+ cert as a personal accomplishment knowing that you know your history of pc hardware and software.

I got my A+ cert in high school, the reason companies dont care for them much is actual work experience is better than a A+ cert and it is one of the easier certs out their.

Also FYI all those certs might seem hard to get but as long as you study your *@# off right before test time you should pass, plenty of study material / practice test online.

Dont bother with A+. it wont help you get a job.

Companies are looking for Microsoft certs like MCSE or MCP, also look into MCDBA and maybe even an oracle cert and if you want to go all in with certs look into some linux certs too.

Only pursue that A+ cert as a personal accomplishment knowing that you know your history of pc hardware and software.

I got my A+ cert in high school, the reason companies dont care for them much is actual work experience is better than a A+ cert and it is one of the easier certs out their.

Also FYI all those certs might seem hard to get but as long as you study your *@# off right before test time you should pass, plenty of study material / practice test online.

Originally Posted by skitzo 31

I'm currently going to be a 4th year at my school where I'm pursuing a B.S. in Computer Information Systems. I'm not exactly sure yet what I want to do after I graduate. 

same situation man.. 4th year BS information systems as well and dont know what to do after 

Originally Posted by skitzo 31

I'm currently going to be a 4th year at my school where I'm pursuing a B.S. in Computer Information Systems. I'm not exactly sure yet what I want to do after I graduate. 

same situation man.. 4th year BS information systems as well and dont know what to do after 

I'm kind of in the same position except you probably even have a leg up on me. I'm a junior but I feel like I'm not even remotely close to where I should be. I get A's in all my classes but feel like I hardly learn anything. I don't have a computer background at all and I'm in classes with 40 year old men who have all been working in the computer field for 20 years. I'm scared I'm going to get my degree and not have the knowledge to get where I need to go.

I'm kind of in the same position except you probably even have a leg up on me. I'm a junior but I feel like I'm not even remotely close to where I should be. I get A's in all my classes but feel like I hardly learn anything. I don't have a computer background at all and I'm in classes with 40 year old men who have all been working in the computer field for 20 years. I'm scared I'm going to get my degree and not have the knowledge to get where I need to go.

i have my a plus network plus and studying for ccna....going to do a ccna boot camp end of this month. i also have my degree in MIS. you are not going to start off as a cisco engineer or a network engineer when you get out of school...even if you have mcse most companies will not let you touch the important stuff without experience. having the basic certs will get your resume looked at.

also you wont be able to contract with the governemnt if you dont have at least one comptia certifcation.

i currently work as a federal employee.
professormessor.com has free videos for a+ network +

and i have the cbt nuggets for ccna.

my advice to you get the most comptia certifications before 2011 because after that your cert will only last 3 years.....

i have my a plus network plus and studying for ccna....going to do a ccna boot camp end of this month. i also have my degree in MIS. you are not going to start off as a cisco engineer or a network engineer when you get out of school...even if you have mcse most companies will not let you touch the important stuff without experience. having the basic certs will get your resume looked at.

also you wont be able to contract with the governemnt if you dont have at least one comptia certifcation.

i currently work as a federal employee.
professormessor.com has free videos for a+ network +

and i have the cbt nuggets for ccna.

my advice to you get the most comptia certifications before 2011 because after that your cert will only last 3 years.....

Originally Posted by dtb00201

Best way to learn is actual experience, my advice is dont wait for a job to acquire hands on experience. If you can try and create an infrastructure that you can learn from.

-Routers / Switches
-PC Hardware and its history
-Hardware troubleshooting
-Software troubleshoot

Projects like these will give you the experience and confidence you'll need.  Before I ever had an I.T class I learned most of it just by experimenting and doing the research on my own time.

Best way to learn is actual experience, my advice is dont wait for a job to acquire hands on experience. If you can try and create an infrastructure that you can learn from.

-Routers / Switches
-PC Hardware and its history
-Hardware troubleshooting
-Software troubleshoot

Projects like these will give you the experience and confidence you'll need.  Before I ever had an I.T class I learned most of it just by experimenting and doing the research on my own time.

I mos def feel you on that. I feel like I'm not learning enough in the classes I'm taking, so I figured going after some certs will broaden my knowledge in the field. I'm not looking to land a premier job after I graduate, just an entry level job where I can gain some experience to further my career later on. 

Thanks guys for the advice, I'm sure there's some NTers that are in the same position as I am. 

I mos def feel you on that. I feel like I'm not learning enough in the classes I'm taking, so I figured going after some certs will broaden my knowledge in the field. I'm not looking to land a premier job after I graduate, just an entry level job where I can gain some experience to further my career later on. 

Thanks guys for the advice, I'm sure there's some NTers that are in the same position as I am. 

Back
Top Bottom