IT Certifications?

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

I disagree

The only thing people care about now is work experience. Degrees and certs are used as prerequisites, work experience is used to make the decision.

In the VERY long run work experience matters but in a IT degree will make you more well rounded and is better than getting a bunch of entry level certs. Plus University always have career connections.
Right now, experience trumps everything. I got my last 2 gigs because of work experience, not certs or a degree. I haven't stepped foot in a college since i graduated high school in 2005. One of my friends graduated high school in 2002..went on to geek squad for 2 yrs, got his A+ then got a field tech gig. After that he moved on to help desk..got his Network+ & Security+ and got himself a desktop role that involved minor networking. With that job, he got a vmware cert, some microsoft certs & a couple cisco certs....right now he's in a mid level network role making 120k. No college. A degree is cool to have and all but it's not needed to succeed in IT. If you're on a good team, you could learn everything you need to on the job.

I disagree

The only thing people care about now is work experience. Degrees and certs are used as prerequisites, work experience is used to make the decision.

In the VERY long run work experience matters but in a IT degree will make you more well rounded and is better than getting a bunch of entry level certs. Plus University always have career connections.
Right now, experience trumps everything. I got my last 2 gigs because of work experience, not certs or a degree. I haven't stepped foot in a college since i graduated high school in 2005. One of my friends graduated high school in 2002..went on to geek squad for 2 yrs, got his A+ then got a field tech gig. After that he moved on to help desk..got his Network+ & Security+ and got himself a desktop role that involved minor networking. With that job, he got a vmware cert, some microsoft certs & a couple cisco certs....right now he's in a mid level network role making 120k. No college. A degree is cool to have and all but it's not needed to succeed in IT. If you're on a good team, you could learn everything you need to on the job.

I disagree

Do you believe your friend is the exception or the rule when it comes to IT careers without college?  I also assume your friend has professional level Cisco certs which many reading this thread will never attain. I am pretty sure without those Cisco certs your friend doesn't break the 70K mark. 

I disagree

Do you believe your friend is the exception or the rule when it comes to IT careers without college?  I also assume your friend has professional level Cisco certs which many reading this thread will never attain. I am pretty sure without those Cisco certs your friend doesn't break the 70K mark. 

Originally Posted by OptimusADL

I'd say he's sort of an exception, but it's not odd to see it in IT. He got the 120k gig with a ccnp.

Originally Posted by OptimusADL

I'd say he's sort of an exception, but it's not odd to see it in IT. He got the 120k gig with a ccnp.

Been working in IT at a helpdesk level for 3 years with no degree. Even though the network+ is a low level cert, I still plan on getting that. Also plan on going for the CCNA in the next year, just need to buckle down and study. Any certs=better raise at the end of the year for me.

Been working in IT at a helpdesk level for 3 years with no degree. Even though the network+ is a low level cert, I still plan on getting that. Also plan on going for the CCNA in the next year, just need to buckle down and study. Any certs=better raise at the end of the year for me.

Bumping this thread.

Hows everyone doing in IT? Just passed my A+ last month
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom