It Took 12 Years, but Columbia University Janitor Graduates With Bachelor's Degree...

GREAT story...and no student loans LOL

pimp.gif

Associated Press
May 14, 2012

NEW YORK— For years, Gac Filipaj mopped floors, cleaned toilets and took out the trash at Columbia University.

A refugee from war-torn Yugoslavia, he eked out a living at the Ivy League school. But Sunday was payback time: The 52-year-old janitor donned a cap and gown to graduate with a bachelor's degree in classics.

As a Columbia employee, his classes were free. His favorite subject was the Roman philosopher and statesman Seneca, he said during a break from his work at Lerner Hall, the student union building he cleans.

"I love Seneca's letters because they're written in the spirit in which I was educated in my family: not to look for fame and fortune, but to have a simple, honest, honorable life," he said.

His graduation with honors capped a dozen years of study, including readings in ancient Latin and Greek.

Rest of article in link

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...ia-janitor-graduates-20120514,0,4859982.story

There are good opportunities out there for people out there who are willing to do the work.  Love reading stuff like this. 

damn... I would definitely love do janitorial work while attending school for free... But does working there also guarantee acceptance?

His kids get to go to the school for free because he's an employee... His fam was set regardless.

Good luck getting a job with a "Classics" degree.
laugh.gif

Dude will be cleaning toilets for for the rest of his life.

*edit*
Spoiler [+]
I was joking. I read another article that said he would still be cleaning toilets after this.

^^Eh it seems like he thoroughly enjoyed what he was learning though. Wasn't in it for the monetary gain. Some ppl still do go to school to enjoy what they'll be learning. No matter what the major, if it's your passion, I can never knock you for that. Props to him.

A good dude, too. He always gave me boxes when it was time to pack up for summer. Much respect. 

Dude started when he was 40 yrs. old, worked full time, and was from a foreign country..Now that is dedication at it's best..It's a shame that more people don't look at life the way this guy does..Maybe if our nation would quit acting so damn entitled and put in some work this nation wouldn't be in such horrible condition..Props to this guy for all his hard work..

Originally Posted by tecca nena

damn... I would definitely love do janitorial work while attending school for free... But does working there also guarantee acceptance?

Same thing I was thinking about the acceptance

Originally Posted by casekicks

Dude started when he was 40 yrs. old, worked full time, and was from a foreign country..Now that is dedication at it's best..It's a shame that more people don't look at life the way this guy does..Maybe if our nation would quit acting so damn entitled and put in some work this nation wouldn't be in such horrible condition..Props to this guy for all his hard work..

he was 40... I have to attribute much of his perspective to his age...

anyhoo
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by NikeAirForce1

laugh.gif

*edit*
Spoiler [+]
I was joking. I read another article that said he would still be cleaning toilets after this.

roll.gif
at the spoiler. imo dude should've gotten a free USEFUL degree.

wth is classics anyways?

To Neverflopped and Tecca Nena...check out this link on applying for the Tuition program at Columbia. It appears as if, so long as you are a member of the full-time or part-time support staff, you're eligible to enroll for approved courses. http://hr.columbia.edu/be...-support-staff/how-apply

Also to the fools talking about a "useful" degree, there is something to be said about intellectual curiosity. Secondly, American students are now $1 trillion in debt thanks to student loans. Many of those folks majored in 'business,' 'management,' and the like. I ask you, what exactly is a 'useful' degree in this day in age?

We need more feel-good stories like this

Thanks to the OP for posting

Teaching would be noble, I hope he gets to where he wants to be.

While that is what's up on a symbolic level, I gotta join the band of people wondering what career a 52 year old man can start with a degree in Classics.

Originally Posted by sreggie101

wth is classics anyways?
Very broad term used for classical literature, languages (such as Greek and Latin,) and philosophy.

Very useful for doctors and what not, or for people who are just a fan of that era (like myself,)
smile.gif

Originally Posted by sreggie101

laugh.gif

*edit*
Spoiler [+]

roll.gif
at the spoiler. imo dude should've gotten a free USEFUL degree.

wth is classics anyways?
Classics (sometimes encompassing Classical Studies or Classical Civilization) is the branch of the Humanities comprising thelanguagesliteraturephilosophyhistoryart, archaeology and other culture of the ancient Mediterranean world (Bronze Age ca. BC3000 – Late Antiquity ca. AD 300–600); especially Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome during Classical Antiquity (ca. BC 600 – AD 600). Initially, the study of the Classics (the period's literature) was the principal study in the humanities.

Now, his ambition is to get a master's degree, maybe even a doctorate, in Roman and Greek classics. He hopes to become a teacher, while translating his favorite classics into Albanian.

For now, he's trying to get "a better job," maybe as supervisor of custodians or something similar, at Columbia if possible.

But he's not interested in furthering his studies to make more money.

"The richness is in me, in my heart and in my head," Filipaj said. "Not in my pockets."

[font=Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif]
[/font]

[font=Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif]Good for him, cool story.[/font]

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Now, his ambition is to get a master's degree, maybe even a doctorate, in Roman and Greek classics. He hopes to become a teacher, while translating his favorite classics into Albanian.

For now, he's trying to get "a better job," maybe as supervisor of custodians or something similar, at Columbia if possible.

But he's not interested in furthering his studies to make more money.

"The richness is in me, in my heart and in my head," Filipaj said. "Not in my pockets."
[font=Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif]
[/font]

[font=Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif]Good for him, cool story.[/font]

That's a very cool philosophy. Couldn't do it though

Back
Top Bottom