It's been 9 seasons...

Isn't it safe to say Larry Brown made one of the biggest draft day blunders outside of Sam Bowie?
darko_milicic_280809.jpg

5.6 ppg; 4.1 rpg for his career

Maybe Larry Brown isn't as good a coach as espn slurps him to be.  

Isn't it safe to say Larry Brown made one of the biggest draft day blunders outside of Sam Bowie?
darko_milicic_280809.jpg

5.6 ppg; 4.1 rpg for his career

I think you mean Joe Dumars...It was unanimous basically that the kid was going to be the truth, can't blame Detroit really.Still think he could have been a lot better if he went to the right team, dude just never got his head on straight or worked hard.

I think you mean Joe Dumars...It was unanimous basically that the kid was going to be the truth, can't blame Detroit really.Still think he could have been a lot better if he went to the right team, dude just never got his head on straight or worked hard.

It happens man. At the time, the Pistons didn't need a player like Melo or Wade. They already were competing for the ring. Yes it was a huge draft blunder but leading up to the draft Darko was one of the most wanted Euro player in history. He showed great promise, but Larry Brown never played the guy in his first 3-4 years.

I don't think they made a mistake in drafting him per se, i think they made a mistake in not developing him right.

It happens man. At the time, the Pistons didn't need a player like Melo or Wade. They already were competing for the ring. Yes it was a huge draft blunder but leading up to the draft Darko was one of the most wanted Euro player in history. He showed great promise, but Larry Brown never played the guy in his first 3-4 years.

I don't think they made a mistake in drafting him per se, i think they made a mistake in not developing him right.

Well I didn't know he was the GM, but yeah you could definitely say that about whoever chose to pick Darko.

I don't see how Darko is any reflection on how good a coach LB is, especially since one of the reasons Darko sucks is because he rode the pine early in his career so that Larry could play vets and win his ring.

Well I didn't know he was the GM, but yeah you could definitely say that about whoever chose to pick Darko.

I don't see how Darko is any reflection on how good a coach LB is, especially since one of the reasons Darko sucks is because he rode the pine early in his career so that Larry could play vets and win his ring.

People forget how huge the hype was around Darko. Carmelo had just won the title and no one doubted that he was the most NBA-ready player in the draft. It took huge hype to make the Pistons take him over Carmelo. I can assure you that maybe not all teams would've taken Darko with the second pick over Carmelo, but they would've definitely taken him over anyone else at #3.

People forget how huge the hype was around Darko. Carmelo had just won the title and no one doubted that he was the most NBA-ready player in the draft. It took huge hype to make the Pistons take him over Carmelo. I can assure you that maybe not all teams would've taken Darko with the second pick over Carmelo, but they would've definitely taken him over anyone else at #3.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

i don't know. The only person I saw hyping Darko was Chad Ford from ESPN. In fact, I'd say Darko literally owes dude a money because his article was BEYOND slurpage. If you want a good laugh, google that article. Dude was talking about how Darko's motor to get better is so strong, he was doing situps on the floor in the hotel. Then ESPN had like a 30 minute piece on Darko and his surroundings he overcame that showed them practicing in a gym as warheads flew overhead,

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

i don't know. The only person I saw hyping Darko was Chad Ford from ESPN. In fact, I'd say Darko literally owes dude a money because his article was BEYOND slurpage. If you want a good laugh, google that article. Dude was talking about how Darko's motor to get better is so strong, he was doing situps on the floor in the hotel. Then ESPN had like a 30 minute piece on Darko and his surroundings he overcame that showed them practicing in a gym as warheads flew overhead,

I know some people were hyping him but lots of people thought he needed to develop. He did and the Stons thought they could ease him into the NBA. Well, he was just a bum. The problem was Bosh would have fit so nicely with Wallace and Sheed. I remember Detroit fans killing me for saying Darko would never be half the player Bosh was. But I also thought wade would just be a serviceable 2.

I know some people were hyping him but lots of people thought he needed to develop. He did and the Stons thought they could ease him into the NBA. Well, he was just a bum. The problem was Bosh would have fit so nicely with Wallace and Sheed. I remember Detroit fans killing me for saying Darko would never be half the player Bosh was. But I also thought wade would just be a serviceable 2.

It was the right pick at the time for the Pistons, everyone thought all 3 would turn out to be very good in the L.

You say the Pistons were wrong, but in their eyes melo wasnt gonna any burn behind Prince, you dont waste the 2nd overall pick on a 6th man.

so they did the smart thing and took a Front court player to come off the bench and learn behind sheed and ben and bring him along slowly so when those 2 times were up. they'd be fine.

a premier big man > a wing player (for the most part)

Darko was supposed to be a 20/10 dude in the L for years, %+$@ happens. were the pistons wrong? nope, just one of the many NBA busts.

It was the right pick at the time for the Pistons, everyone thought all 3 would turn out to be very good in the L.

You say the Pistons were wrong, but in their eyes melo wasnt gonna any burn behind Prince, you dont waste the 2nd overall pick on a 6th man.

so they did the smart thing and took a Front court player to come off the bench and learn behind sheed and ben and bring him along slowly so when those 2 times were up. they'd be fine.

a premier big man > a wing player (for the most part)

Darko was supposed to be a 20/10 dude in the L for years, %+$@ happens. were the pistons wrong? nope, just one of the many NBA busts.

Kiki Vandeweghe (Nuggets GM at the time) has gone on record saying he would have selected Darko over Melo if the Nuggets had the #2 pick in the draft too.

Kiki Vandeweghe (Nuggets GM at the time) has gone on record saying he would have selected Darko over Melo if the Nuggets had the #2 pick in the draft too.

Who the +%#% is this thread about?

Larry Brown didnt pick Darko, and it hasnt been 9 years. 
laugh.gif

Who the +%#% is this thread about?

Larry Brown didnt pick Darko, and it hasnt been 9 years. 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom