[:: J. COLE THREAD | DREAMVILLE's ROTD3 ALBUM OUT NOW!! ::]

I agree with some of what they were saying but..
grin.gif

Originally Posted by LBJ23navo

grin.gif
I actually couldn't rock with a lot of what they are saying because as it shows what I have said many times in this thread and on NT about hip-hop fans.  Most don't want artists to develop and are impatient and want everything NOW. Everyone can't blow up overnight with one single and maybe they are just not that kind of artist. As a fan of the genre I dislike that this mentality exists only in this genre and we box people into what they should or should not be as an artist.

For example the first girl that speaks in this video says that J. Cole should just be told what producers he is going to work with, given the 5 beats he will rap on and also be told who his features will be and who will sing the hooks. How is J. Cole truly being an ARTIST in that situation?! He is creating music pretty much already laid out for him without much creative content. When that happens you have forced albums like Lupe's LASERS. Sadly most hip-hop fans have been feed way too many formulaic albums with no creativity so this is what they expect. I think the "fans" that complain about these things and box Cole into what he should or shouldn't be do not appreciate him for what he truly is supposed to be which is an ARTIST.

Now what I did agree with was some points about Cole's marketing. I thought the dude with the Yankees fitted made a great point about Cole and his team doing more with promotion via videos at concerts etc. His point about the WorkOut performance leaked footage and not having a good quality video from his team was right on. I think at times as fans we have been left in the dark regarding the album and could have had some more information. Hopefully Cole's team does better with marketing from this point forward as far as interviews, information, etc so we can even be more excited for the debut but knocking his overall promotion is fair. indeed.

Good post with that video LBJ, I think it should spark some good discussion.

grin.gif
Yea I agree with some of the things they were saying but the thing about self producing is limiting him, I just couldn't agree with because his beats are actually good and flowing. Idk why J. Cole isn't blowing up though the dude is good

just got done watching the video........
ohwell.gif
 ........alot of truth in there but at the same time I think it was alot of uninformed statements being made.
bottom line is J. Cole is J.Cole's problem, if you even wanna call it a problem...which him and his team probably wont. Alot of us on the outside look at his situation and prolly come to the agreement with one of the four in the interview...those of us that wont prolly have seen and heard Cole in interviews and kinda got a feel for where his head is.

Cole if you cant see by the choice of album title, doesnt want the shine yet, he doesnt want the acclaim(well he does but not "pop" acclaim). The way he mapped his isssh out with his team(good or bad) is on some "underdog, bottom of the barrel, majority slept on me but now im finally at the top" steez. Early on he kept saying this in every interview that thats kinda want he wanted to do. Now what we are witnessing is 1)the struggle between trying to stay barely being known, and being red hot 2) Poor execution for multiple reasons.

he is stopping himself from crossing that threshold cuz he doesnt want to...cuz that aint how he want it to be or cuz he is scared or he cant...add in jiggaman's lack of guidance and bam

I will say ole boy with the dreads made the best points about the producing thing only cuz ive all ways had a problem with Cole's production...the girl saying sumbody pick his 5 beats and all that isssh was flat out crazy tho...hell naw 

Lol @ them saying Cole should follow in Wiz's footsteps.. The album Wiz dropped was trash.. The Warm Up & FNL were filled with album material songs imagine how the album is going to be.

The one guy said Cole needs to stop doing his own hooks.. I don't know about you guys but I like when Cole is singing on the hooks.

But I do believe Cole needs to market himself better.. With vlogs, music videos, etc... I still believe in Cole though I know he's got a plan.

this video is horrible.. who are they to say that j cole isn't achieving sucess..

i was at bonnaroo two weeks ago and the crowd of hippies and everything in between new all his lyrics and was riding him so hard.

J cole said multiple times he was nervous about the crowd but couldn't believe his showing and turn out for his set

no disrespect to big sean (cause i rock wit him) but does J cole really want to make a "my last" type record? Giving Big Sean's lyrical content you know dude wants the fame and fortune.

I'm sure Cole wants it, but he doesn't have to compromise his artistic integretiy (what up wale)

Ppl are expecting too much out of a single...its a freakin SINGLE. Ppl dont realize that Cole is goin about setting up his career differently then everyone else. Do ppl think that Cole is doin what he wants and Jay z doesn't know whats goin on? Jay Z knows exactly what Cole is doin and obviously Jay is supportin it. The ppl in the video want Cole to do what Wiz and Big Sean are doing but why when he's a different type of artist? You can tell from Cole's music that it's much deeper than the fame and that he wants to do this for a long time. The chick that said he should be told what features and beats to have must be on dope because that eliminates creativity and whats wrong with Cole doin his own beats when he's the only one who truly knows his sound? This is his album debut and he doesn't wanna have ppl listenin because of the Jay z feature on a single or because he got production from big names. If Cole can show that he is a monster by himself then when he works with other artist his material will be flawless.

Some musicians are into making big quickly and all the riches that come with that, so they make what the mainstream wants, which is that catchy radio tune. Other are just into quality music that will eventually hit enough ears and gain success that way.

With CeeLoGreen dropping out of the Rihanna LOUD tour, what are the chances or Cole becoming a co headliner or getting a longer set?

I don't know about you guys but I like when Cole is singing on the hooks.

But I do believe Cole needs to market himself better.. With vlogs, music videos, etc... I still believe in Cole though I know he's got a plan.
I agree with everything said here. He desperately needs more videos. I wonder if the vids for Lights Please and Higher are coming out this summer like he has said before

surprised Cole hasnt gotten more attention. he's my fav atm tho. hopefully he doesnt fall off like my boy CuDi

SMH @ this video. Comparing J Cole to SOULJA BOY???

Sadly this is what rap fans have turned in to. All up in the labels business. C'mon, Jay-Z is not telling Cole how to handle his career. He has never done that with ANY of his artist even if you go back to Rocafella. He has always left that up to the artist to figure out. Maybe some advice hear and there I imagine, that's about it.

If Jay was hands on with his career like people think Cole would of blew already. He easily could of made J Cole that dude utilizing his own fan base for his. Besides signing him as his 1st artist (if you want to count that) and his feature on BP3 I haven't seen Jay doing any of that. Its been Cole handling his own situation which he is doing very poorly at unfortunately

Originally Posted by alilucask

this video is horrible.. who are they to say that j cole isn't achieving sucess..

i was at bonnaroo two weeks ago and the crowd of hippies and everything in between new all his lyrics and was riding him so hard.

J cole said multiple times he was nervous about the crowd but couldn't believe his showing and turn out for his set

no disrespect to big sean (cause i rock wit him) but does J cole really want to make a "my last" type record? Giving Big Sean's lyrical content you know dude wants the fame and fortune.

I'm sure Cole wants it, but he doesn't have to compromise his artistic integretiy (what up wale)

I saw him at Roo as well, I couldn't believe how many people were there to see him. I went with a group of 9 people and only knew 2 of them, first day there I ask them who they wanted to see the first night and like 3 of them said J. Cole.. shocked the hell out of me. Then a few people I met also said they were looking forward to seeing him.

It was cool as hell seeing him in front of that big of a crowd after seeing him in my hometown, couldn't even fill up half of a venue that maybe can fit 750 people.

i cracked and listened to "cheer up"..straight crack... he should get somebody like jill scott or marsha ambrosious to sing the hook or maybe beyonce

Only thing I agree with from that video is Cole need to spit on someone else's beats. Been saying this for God knows how long, I wish Jay would step in and try to steer him in the right direction but it seems like he forgot he signed J. Cole
30t6p3b.gif

They shot the video for WorkOut yesterday in LA and are shooting another one today...his boy didnt say for what song tho

i remember a while back he said he wanted shoot a vid in LA for sumtin off FNL...i think it was Enchanted...that would be dope since its the best record on the mixtape

Ace Rawstein wrote:

i remember a while back he said he wanted shoot a vid in LA for sumtin off FNL...i think it was Enchanted...that would be dope since its the best record on the mixtape

pimp.gif

Agreed on Enchanted!

I would love some word on whether or not he is dropping another mixtape before the album.

Back
Top Bottom