[:: J. COLE THREAD | DREAMVILLE's ROTD3 ALBUM OUT NOW!! ::]

More validation that this is an album. Has been working on it since April.

"Back in April
I went to LA for a little while and I had a few life changing sessions. The one that stuck with me was with J. Cole. I think Pop and me stayed at the Grafton on Sunset that week. We drove up to some street, high in the Hollywood Hills…one of those streets with the thin guard rails that block you from driving your car off a thousand foot cliff. We pulled up to some gated community and we were buzzed in…
My memory is very strange. I don’t think I remember much quantity but quality more so. The things I do remember are vivd and clear. I remember a basketball hoop…black base,white backboard, and a faded orange rim.there was a pool/jacuzzi that looked like something out of an episode of Entourage….the pool separated what was a living space and on the other side was what I’d soon learn was the studio.
The view from the pool down into West Hollywood was definitely a pause-worthy moment. (Not that kind) the kind of moment where you pause and try to take a step back to realize the magnitude of a situation. I’m quickly learning when you have those moments you should cherish them. I’d never met Cole before and I didn’t know what to expect. Pop was cool of course. I mean the man gave Nicki her first hit record (Your Love)… I stop day dreaming and we head to the other side of the pool into the studio.
We walk inside one door and see his engineer. He greets us and we walk through another door. Cole is inside the control room at his computer. He stands up smiles and comes over to greet us. I remember how tall he actually was cuz of the contrast of him being seated and then standing. We exchange pleasantries and Cole tells us he’s deep into the album already. He has a white board with titles on it and notes on takes and other scribbling that I can’t make out. He says he gonna name the album 2014. Said that was the number of the house his mom bought when he was younger. It being the year and the source of some childhood nostalgia, it seemed like he had a clear focus for the album.
We talked about a few other things. He admired the work we did on “Good Kisser.” He had heard some other things we’d done. And then without much warning, he wanted to jump in. He had a track up already that he was working on. (Strictly production) I had know idea what bars he had written to it yet. But he played it and wanted our input. I’m not gonna lie there was something so simple and honest about it from the jump. He started spitting some bars and I knew it was gonna be a dope record.
Cole had a good skeleton for the track so I jumped on the computer and messed with a few things. It sounded like it needed some piano and I added it. Then Pop did some things to the beat. I was sitting in the back of the control room when I told Cole it needed some bass and I was gonna link my computer to his cuz I knew exactly what bass patch I wanted to use. After I laid the bass I think Cole brought up some of his vocals at one point. He was saying this one line over and over at a specific section of the song. He said something about maybe wanting strings. So I told him I could do a mock arrangement right there for him. I put on some headphones and went to work.
Anyone who is a creative will tell you there is no better feeling in the world than when you’re in your creative “bag.” It’s effortless…smooth…I finished the strings and uploaded them to Cole’s computer and he heard another counter line. He sung it to me and I went back to my computer to make it up. Cole added it and the record was starting to sound dope as ****. How fitting is it that the first time I work and meet Cole we do a record called “Hello”? I’m not the most spiritual person lately, but I the notion of coincidences is one that’s often hard for me to believe. It seemed like everything we were good at was exactly what was needed.
We worked on a few more joints over the next few days and I heard Cole spit some great bars. He did this one story telling song over a beat Flip and I did. It was like he was channeling Nas. The **** was so dope. I don’t think it made the album but it was fire.
I have so many of these innocuous sessions with or for certain artists and I never know what’ll come out them. Sometimes you know a session is special and other times you have no idea. I think this was a special session. I think the Cole album is gonna be really good. I’m grateful and excited to just be able to make good music."

More validation that this is an album. Has been working on it since April.

"Back in April
I went to LA for a little while and I had a few life changing sessions. The one that stuck with me was with J. Cole. I think Pop and me stayed at the Grafton on Sunset that week. We drove up to some street, high in the Hollywood Hills…one of those streets with the thin guard rails that block you from driving your car off a thousand foot cliff. We pulled up to some gated community and we were buzzed in…
My memory is very strange. I don’t think I remember much quantity but quality more so. The things I do remember are vivd and clear. I remember a basketball hoop…black base,white backboard, and a faded orange rim.there was a pool/jacuzzi that looked like something out of an episode of Entourage….the pool separated what was a living space and on the other side was what I’d soon learn was the studio.
The view from the pool down into West Hollywood was definitely a pause-worthy moment. (Not that kind) the kind of moment where you pause and try to take a step back to realize the magnitude of a situation. I’m quickly learning when you have those moments you should cherish them. I’d never met Cole before and I didn’t know what to expect. Pop was cool of course. I mean the man gave Nicki her first hit record (Your Love)… I stop day dreaming and we head to the other side of the pool into the studio.
We walk inside one door and see his engineer. He greets us and we walk through another door. Cole is inside the control room at his computer. He stands up smiles and comes over to greet us. I remember how tall he actually was cuz of the contrast of him being seated and then standing. We exchange pleasantries and Cole tells us he’s deep into the album already. He has a white board with titles on it and notes on takes and other scribbling that I can’t make out. He says he gonna name the album 2014. Said that was the number of the house his mom bought when he was younger. It being the year and the source of some childhood nostalgia, it seemed like he had a clear focus for the album.
We talked about a few other things. He admired the work we did on “Good Kisser.” He had heard some other things we’d done. And then without much warning, he wanted to jump in. He had a track up already that he was working on. (Strictly production) I had know idea what bars he had written to it yet. But he played it and wanted our input. I’m not gonna lie there was something so simple and honest about it from the jump. He started spitting some bars and I knew it was gonna be a dope record.
Cole had a good skeleton for the track so I jumped on the computer and messed with a few things. It sounded like it needed some piano and I added it. Then Pop did some things to the beat. I was sitting in the back of the control room when I told Cole it needed some bass and I was gonna link my computer to his cuz I knew exactly what bass patch I wanted to use. After I laid the bass I think Cole brought up some of his vocals at one point. He was saying this one line over and over at a specific section of the song. He said something about maybe wanting strings. So I told him I could do a mock arrangement right there for him. I put on some headphones and went to work.
Anyone who is a creative will tell you there is no better feeling in the world than when you’re in your creative “bag.” It’s effortless…smooth…I finished the strings and uploaded them to Cole’s computer and he heard another counter line. He sung it to me and I went back to my computer to make it up. Cole added it and the record was starting to sound dope as ****. How fitting is it that the first time I work and meet Cole we do a record called “Hello”? I’m not the most spiritual person lately, but I the notion of coincidences is one that’s often hard for me to believe. It seemed like everything we were good at was exactly what was needed.
We worked on a few more joints over the next few days and I heard Cole spit some great bars. He did this one story telling song over a beat Flip and I did. It was like he was channeling Nas. The **** was so dope. I don’t think it made the album but it was fire.
I have so many of these innocuous sessions with or for certain artists and I never know what’ll come out them. Sometimes you know a session is special and other times you have no idea. I think this was a special session. I think the Cole album is gonna be really good. I’m grateful and excited to just be able to make good music."

Ok excite for new Cole, hopes he delivers something like Friday Nigh Lights or Warm up, I know he has it in him to make a classic.

Last edited:
The title isn't exciting but all that matters is the music, right?

Right, "Born Sinner" was conceptually a dope title... but the music underwhelmed me... and i'm a Cole stan.

*Kanye Shrug*

He can do better. Maybe keeping things simple with the promo, cover, album title and going back to his roots will lead to the music we know he can make. :smokin

Last edited:
I have a really good feeling about this one guys...

everything weve seen and heard basically shows him going back to his roots.

He dont give a **** about mass marketing, fancy covers, fancy interviews or any of that right now.
just seems like hes ready to give us some authentic music from jermaine.

Cant wait man. I have a REAL good feeling this album is going to deliver some real soulful music.:smokin

He dont give a **** about mass marketing, fancy covers, fancy interviews or any of that right now.

Cant wait man. I have a REAL good feeling this album is going to deliver some real soulful music.:smokin

With the lakers sucking this year we needed this bruh :smile:

I hope so too man, he 1 of the few rappers who still sells albums, i think this may even bump his sales

With the lakers sucking this year we needed this bruh :smile:

Definitely my dude.

this is MUCH NEEDED. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom