January Wrestling Thread/NTWT Jobber Of The Week D Fly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elgin and Nomura made the best match list

tenor.gif

NXT preview (Dec. 11, 2019): Limitless Time

KeithLeevideo.0.png
WWE on YouTube
NXT returns to us tonight (Dec. 11) from Full Sail University in Winter Park, Florida. They are building towards their TakeOver in Portland, Oregon on Feb. 16 but also building to a rather big episode next week as well.
Advertised for this week:
  • Keith Lee vs. Tommaso Ciampa vs. Finn Bálor in a #1 contenders match
  • Lio Rush (c) vs. Angel Garza for the NXT cruiserweight championship
  • Mia Yim vs. Dakota Kai
  • Is Rhea Ripley ready for Shayna Baszler?
As per usual, here are our five questions about NXT tonight:
1) Is it Keith Lee’s time?
The easy answer to this when looking at it in general is a clear yes. From his moment with Roman Reigns at Survivor Series to the fact NXT is weekly positioning him at the top, sometimes even above Tommaso Ciampa, it’s clear he’s on fire right now.
But are they ready to make him their top babyface, even at the expense of Ciampa, who they’ve been building as such since his return?
My guess is probably not.
It’s entirely possible Keith Lee wins tonight and gets that title shot next week. In fact, if I had to bet on one of the guys, I’d bet on the Limitless One. But I don’t think he beats Adam Cole next week if he does win here. And I think that reason is Dominik Dijakovic.
Dijakovic expressed a lil internet frustration from being left out of this #1 contenders match and I see him interfering either this week or next as a result. To maximize how hot Lee is, it should be next week. Keith could look great against Cole and then Dijakovic can cost him the match allowing them to finish their rivalry.

That’d be a way to delay the inevitable as they finish up the story with Tommaso Ciampa before going all in with Lee.
2) Who takes the pin?
This is always interesting give the three men in this #1 contender’s match are arguably the three top guys in the promotion right now (outside the champ Adam Cole). So deciding who takes the pin, and someone has to in a triple threat, is not easy.
If the scenario we discussed with Dijakovic costing Lee the match happens tonight, then Keith would take the pin. Which wouldn’t be horrible. He’s the least established guy of the three. But that also means taking the pin would hurt him the most. With only a month or so of being presented like a top guy, it’s easier to dispel that image, especially with Lee who was kind of meandering prior NXT’s move to two hours. That’s opposed to Ciampa and Bálor, who have both been NXT champion for a long time and are established as top guys.
If Lee wins, Ciampa likely takes the pin. Finn still has that mystique around him. He’s been around for awhile, but this version of him has only been in NXT for a couple months so it needs more protecting that Tommaso. Ciampa is pretty bulletproof right now and getting pinned tonight wouldn’t hurt his stock.
3) Is it time for a title change?
Lio Rush was crowned cruiserweight champion back in October. The last month, he’s been feuding with Angel Garza, based around the charismatic Garza ripping his pants off in front of Lio’s wife during a prior match. That lit a fire under the champ and made this feud personal.
It’s been an entertaining program and tonight’s match should be great. Their first was really good and now there’s more emotion behind this one to add to it.
Is it enough to crown a new champion? There’s arguments both ways. Lio retaining positions him as the cornerstone of the division as everyone tries to take on the champ. Angel winning extends the feud, which is helpful in a very thin cruiserweight division, and shows there are two top guys when it comes to the purple belt.
My money is on Lio tonight but I wouldn’t be shocked if Garza stole one.
4) Is there even a cruiserweight division?
There’s a cruiserweight title and men feuding for it. But is there really a cruiserweight division?
205 still exists but most of its known stars have gone to Raw or SmackDown. So is there a “division” or will they just have guys under 205 pounds challenging and then going back into other NXT stories (or on 205 when it airs).
It’s still muddled with 205 Live being a show but the belt mainly defended on NXT. And because of that, the cruiserweight title still feels like it doesn’t quite fit in.
5) Will Dakota get her heat back?
After Dakota Kai admitted she was the one who attacked Mia Yim prior to TakeOver: WarGames, Mia attacked Kai, beating her up all over the arena.
It took a little of the shine away from the freshly heel Kai, who got a lot of comeuppance without getting the upper hand to get some heat back. We were hating her for what she did to Tegan Nox a couple weeks back. But now that we saw her get her *** handed to her, that siphons off a bit of that prior dislike for her. So she needs to get us to hate her again.
Defeating Mia Yim in dastardly fashion tonight, perhaps injuring her as well, could be that catalyst. We’ll see how the match goes down.
We’ll see if we get any answers to these questions tonight at 8 ET on USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom