Japanese NTers (Or Justhotkicks, who has become my link to the entire Asian world)

Is it true that when eating sushi ginger is not to be put on the sushi, but rather eaten after each piece so as to cleanse the palate in order to fully enjoyeach piece?

Hell, even if I'm not supposed to, I'm still throwing ginger ontop of my sushi.
laugh.gif

I've always eaten the ginger after just because I really like ginger, but then I heard that this was actually customary. I just wanted to know if I wasmisinformed. I am in no way trying to direct or influence anyone's individual sushi eating practices. Be yourselves.

Originally Posted by NYelectric

Is it true that when eating sushi ginger is not to be put on the sushi, but rather eaten after each piece so as to cleanse the palate in order to fully enjoy each piece?

Yup, I learned that you eat the ginger afterward. I dip the sushi in some soy sauce with wasabi, eat it in one bite, and then have a piece of ginger... allwith perfect chopstick form, of course.

Supposed to eat it in between, not on top. I only eat it when I eat sashimi though. When I do, I don't eat the entire piece; I take a small, dime-sizedbite.

whywesteppin - Next time, try it with "chogochujang", which is a slightly sweet/tangy pepper paste. It has the consistency of ketchup. Insanely goodwith sashimi.

You got it. I've also heard though, that you eat the ginger in between types of sushi instead of just every piece. Any truth to this?

Originally Posted by 18key

You got it. I've also heard though, that you eat the ginger in between types of sushi instead of just every piece. Any truth to this?

Yep. I still eat between every piece, but it's more effective when eating two different pieces of fish that taste very different, like salmon and whitetuna.

Yup, I learned that you eat the ginger afterward. I dip the sushi in some soy sauce with wasabi, eat it in one bite, and then have a piece of ginger... all with perfect chopstick form, of course.
I am a purist. No soy sauce for me. I've never liked it, and I feel like it usually overwhelms the flavor of the sushi. I do however use a lotof wasabi, and a lot of ginger after each piece. All, of course, with perfect chopstick form. Even Japanese people are jealous.
Sadly, as Whywesteppin is a white man, and has thus broken the rules of this thread as described in the title, I cannot accept his answer. The quest forJapanese people on a sneaker forum continues, against insurmountable odds.

Edit- Nevermind; you all came in at once. Case closed.

I'm not japanese so I have no native experience.. But I got into sushi from my mom's ex who had spent alot of time in japan and was taught exactlythat. You only eat the ginger in between pieces to cleanse your palate.

I have heard of, but have never seen anyone put ginger on their sushi. What in the world would be the point of that? The ginger would over power any flavorthat the sushi might contain. You might as well just eat the ginger at that point.

I was also taught that it is bad etiquite to rest your chop sticks so that they are pointing at anyone else at your table, but I'm unsure if that isactually expected generally, now it is more habit than anything else.

Raw fish give you worms.

Very long worms.

Google the worm museum in Japan.

It's all part of the diet plan. This summer, here I come. By the way, my only worm experiences involve dogs; something to think about.

I think I should feel ashamed that I, as an Asian, have poor chopstick form
laugh.gif

When I was in Taiwan over the summer, some acquaintances of mine kept asking me how I was able to hold my chopsticks without any pain in my hands
roll.gif

Yup, I learned that you eat the ginger afterward. I dip the sushi in some soy sauce with wasabi, eat it in one bite, and then have a piece of ginger... all with perfect chopstick form, of course.
I am a purist. No soy sauce for me. I've never liked it, and I feel like it usually overwhelms the flavor of the sushi. I do however use a lot of wasabi, and a lot of ginger after each piece. All, of course, with perfect chopstick form. Even Japanese people are jealous.

Sadly, as Whywesteppin is a white man, and has thus broken the rules of this thread as described in the title, I cannot accept his answer. The quest for Japanese people on a sneaker forum continues, against insurmountable odds.

They call me White Tiger. I am one of them. They came to accept me as their own after I ate a whole bowl of soup with chopsticks.

imgThe%20Last%20Samurai1.jpg

I only use my chopsticks if I'm eating chirashi sushi otherwise it's all finger food to me. I think everything else is either hands or chopsticks.Except for stuff like California rolls because that might look silly trying to eat it with chopsticks.

I think the point of the shoyu is to lightly dip the topping (not the rice) in it. Kind of defeats the purpose of them adding vinegar to the rice if people arejust going to soak it in shoyu.

Never really bothered with the ginger.

Anyone know the chopstick technique for eating Chinese rice? Way harder than Japanese rice since it's not all stuck together.

I probably have terrible chopstick manners since a lot of the time I just use them to shovel food into my mouth. Can't be bothered trying to grab each andevery rice grain individually.

Also never stick your chopsticks in your rice sticking straight up since that's usually how offerings to the dead are presented.

Don't hover over a plate with your chopsticks and don't gesture with them in your hand.

Originally Posted by whywesteppin

Is it true that when eating sushi ginger is not to be put on the sushi, but rather eaten after each piece so as to cleanse the palate in order to fully enjoy
each piece?

Yup. This is what I learned, as well.

Originally Posted by fugualarmclock

I only use my chopsticks if I'm eating chirashi sushi otherwise it's all finger food to me. I think everything else is either hands or chopsticks. Except for stuff like California rolls because that might look silly trying to eat it with chopsticks.

I think the point of the shoyu is to lightly dip the topping (not the rice) in it. Kind of defeats the purpose of them adding vinegar to the rice if people are just going to soak it in shoyu.

Also never stick your chopsticks in your rice sticking straight up since that's usually how offerings to the dead are presented.

Don't hover over a plate with your chopsticks and don't gesture with them in your hand.

speakin the truth. when i was in japan over the summer sushi was finger food. and you just dip the fish in the shoyu...not the rice in the shoyu. and how youset your chopsticks is important. i got a lot of compliments on knowing all of that...and my nice chopstick skills. all the old men at the ramen and sushishops said i used them like a real japanese. haha.

i must be the only one who puts ginger on top of my salmon sushi. my friends always look at me weird, but it taste good. especially with salmon, mayo and onion
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Originally Posted by whywesteppin

Is it true that when eating sushi ginger is not to be put on the sushi, but rather eaten after each piece so as to cleanse the palate in order to fully enjoy
each piece?

Yup. This is what I learned, as well.
Your not suppose to have wasabi in your soy sauce.

No, you don't put the ginger on top of the sushi.

Also to the comment above, people in Japan do that all the time. I'm Japanese btw.

Back
Top Bottom