Jay-Z Reveals He Will Be A Free Agent After His Next Album, Says Lil Wayne 'Got Next'

In a recent interview with Billboard, Jay-Z revealed that his next solo album on Def Jam as an artist will be his last on the label.

Jay-Z began his rap career on Def Jam in the early 90's before being appointed as the label's president in 2004.

Due to his presidential duties, Hov would step away from the rap limelight and return in 2006 with his ninth solo album, Kingdom Come.

He dropped his tenth album, American Gangster, in November.

Jay-Z divulged to Billboard that his next album via Def Jam will make him a free agent after being asked if he will drop a project next year.

"If I'm inspired," replied Jay-Z when asked if he would release an album in 2008. "To be honest, I've been thinking about that lately. I have one album left on my contract, and then I've really come full circle."

"This is all hypothetical but I've been thinking on the fly: I have one album left, right? If I'm inspired to make that album, then my contract is done and I'm not in the music business anymore as far as being an artist," he continued. "I can still make music but how I reach people with that music ... I can do anything with it at that point. It's kind of exciting in a way. I'm not in the music business so I can drop a single every month. Who knows? The possibilities are endless -- and without any pressure to sell anything. I could make whatever and do whatever with my music. Maybe the songs would just play in 40/40."

Jay-Z is currently in negotiations to renew his contract as Def Jam president. Rumors surfaced last week that the talks between the label and Def Jam were stalling because of the ef="http://sixshot.com/articles/9140/">rapper's excessive monetary demands.

Jay-Z, who denied making the demands earlier this week, also stressed to Billboard that the negotiations are not being stalled by money.

"The rumors are about only because my contract is up," Jay-Z explained. "If we can work something out that's beneficial to all parties involved, we'll see. But it's not about money. It's really about trying to invest in the future, trying to invest in maybe coming up with a new model. Because going in hard making records with artists and throwing those records into a system that's flawed is not exciting for me."

"It's not the music; people ingest music the same way. It's just that the model of selling CDs has changed. So doing things the typical way is not in the best interests of anyone and not exciting for me," Hov emphasized. "My whole thing is, how do we invest in the future? If everyone is committed to doing that, then I'm sure there's a deal to be made."

During the interview when asked which hip hop artist has 'next', Hov would say Lil Wayne.

"The obvious choice would be Lil' Wayne," said Jay-Z. " That's on the front of everyone's mind unless you don't include Kanye in the equation. I think everyone would agree that Wayne is the closest.
Jay-Z Reveals He Will Be A Free Agent After His Next Album, Says Lil Wayne 'Got Next' :: Hip-Hop News

Lil Wayne below average punchlines and metaphor bore me. He acts like he's the greatest, pssh, ee would get eating by a number of underground MC's,easy.

Originally Posted by NachoBroadway

I will never understand Lil' Wayne's appeal to anyone over 22.

me 2. he has a few dope joints, but i don't feel most of his songs at all. he rarely is on rhythm with the beat, crazy@@*!% voice at times, and in somehe just sounds pathetic. but what do i know? when NT rides somebody, it's a wrap on this

Man you can say what you want about lil Wayne, but it's not what he says that pushes him through it's how he says it. He never says anythinggroundbreaking, just says it in a groundbreaking way, that is his apeal. Saying he's next is "Psh...Huh and a whole bunch of other no verbalexperessions of disagreement"-(Paraphrase) Some niketalker, but to say he's now is actually being on point. And as much as I hate to say this, Jayneeds to put the Mic down; him and Nas. Not that they aren't relevant, not that they don't have much to say, not that they are old, it's justsomeone elses turn. Nas has been in the game going on 20 years now, Jay is past the decade mark. I can't handle another big Jay release. On this next oneit should just be like the Dynasty, with people like Beans, Kanye, Lupe.........Wayne
smh.gif
(I had to say it), Blu and Exile(which would be hella dope) and anyother new and upcoming that jay has giving his stamp of approval to.

Blu and Exile(which would be hella dope) and any other new and upcoming that jay has giving his stamp of approval to.
nerd.gif

back to topic. i dont even like wayne but you have to admit he's hot.

Originally Posted by BetoLZ

just says it in a groundbreaking way

Can you explain why his delivery is groundbreaking?

No one inthe game flows like Wayne does. He says absolutely nothing but makes you think it is the hottest thing out. I don't care how much youdon't like Wayne, when he is on a track like the Party Like a Rockstar remix(in which he says absolutely nothing) he kills it. He has dman near masteredthe art of Flow, there is non in the game like him.

I have one album left, right? If I'm inspired to make that album, then my contract is done and I'm not in the music business anymore as far as being an artist," he continued. "I can still make music but how I reach people with that music ... I can do anything with it at that point. It's kind of exciting in a way. I'm not in the music business so I can drop a single every month. Who knows? The possibilities are endless
This N_
laugh.gif

I have nothin to say about dudes sudden alligenace with Lil Wayne and backing him. Its clear to see he is "hot" or most popular in the game right nowbut I cant think Ol Man Jigga expect him to follow where he "left off" like ehat he did with Biggie. Wayne does have a great flow its the reason Ithink dudes even listen to dude cuz everything about him as an artist is trash. I don't think he's next and I think he gonna murk his career on somesad issh its already started he gonna get out pocket on some next issh, trust. You think what Cam said about snitching and what Kanye said about the presidentwas wild Wayne gonna top both.

As bad as it is at Def Jam Im not sure if they'll let dude go anyway
laugh.gif
Im not buying into all this nonsense he's talking about like his career as an artist over. Props tho if he gets everybody to believe him tho. Ifanything he should do what Lupe said stop making albums and just do concerts n shows focus on ya artists on ya label and try to help them grow, you knoactually be in their videos and do collabs. I wouldnt even be mad if Jigga tried to start a super group but I doubt he wont do none of that shhh. Its gonna besomethin when he pitches his next reason to drop an album w/e inspires him then dude needs to stop making exscuses and just say I can release an album anytimeI want. I still think dude needs to stop

smokin.gif

What people fail to wrap their head around is Hot doesn't equal Nice, Wayne is/has been hot for the past 2-2 1/2yrs . Does that mean he's the nicest nobut he does have the most eyes/ears on him so I would agree

No one inthe game flows like Wayne does.
Different doesn't always equal better.
He says absolutely nothing but makes you think it is the hottest thing out.

Not to me.

when he is on a track like the Party Like a Rockstar remix(in which he says absolutely nothing) he kills it.

He has dman near mastered the art of Flow

It's clear we both have different interpretations of flow, but I respect your opinion and can see where you're coming from.

lil wayne has a terrible flow, and he says nothing.

i have no idea how he has gotten to where he is.

Big Homey is right, Wayne is next up.

Just think about it, all the classic mixtapes wayne had (squad ups, suffix, dedications, lilweeziana, etc) were him spitting crazy hot verses. But i cantthink of the last mixtape song Wayne had that made me go
eek.gif
I had just about given up on wayne until i heard Birdman's 5 star stunna cd. When i listened to it and the guest apperances by Wayne, i realized that WayneALWAYS comes through on albums! He came through on all his cds (except 500 degreez
eyes.gif
), and all the cds of his label mates at cash money. Wayne made Birdman's new cd listenable and this pattern shows me that the Carter 3 may behis first real classic album. You can quote me on that

Lil Wayne got Next?
indifferent.gif

we all know the next greatest rapper is gonna be Mr. Two Gun Un.

i dont know about yall, but Lil Wayne never made my speakers do the wop, or my rims do the macarena. what is wrong with this!@@$*! Jay these days.

Originally Posted by xBuddha Blessx

Now that I think about it thats really sad if what he said is him passing the torch
smh.gif

smokin.gif
Not to worry, he "passed the torch" to Bleek and we see how that worked out. Lil Wayne says absolutetly nothing. The fact that he'sat the forefront of hip hop is actually funny in a "CB4" kinda way...

Lil Wayne....is that dude...plain and simple..

Lil Wayne has run through more pus when he was 13 than some of you dudes have in your whole life....and thats pathetic...
smh.gif

let me just
smh.gif
again

and
smh.gif
again

and
smh.gif
again

Lil Wayne has run through more pus when he was 13 than some of you dudes have in your whole life....and thats pathetic...
smh.gif

N_ you kno you included right? now let me
indifferent.gif
you again
indifferent.gif
and again
indifferent.gif
and again
indifferent.gif
and again
indifferent.gif

smokin.gif

No I'm not included....I don't fit in that NT virginified mold....

Stop trying to act like what I aint say aint fact neither....

Stop hating on a ninja.....that could pipe ya girl...ya dig?

wayne is wack to me. his 'flow' or whatever people on here give him props for is trash to me. i don't care what he has to say because it has nomeaning to it.

wayne lyrics don't make him hot, agreed. its how he says it that makes it so appealing. His delivery, is what gets people to listen, plus his voice putsits over the top. I am in no way a wayne fan, i could go without listening to him, and i've been doing that for a good while. Joe Buddens could easilymurder Wayne in a freestyle battle. MM3

Back
Top Bottom