Jay-Z's Legacy of Bloodclot Cryin': A Lyrical Retrospective

He does seem to insist on being the greatest...

...but so do a heck of alot of other artists.

I have Sage Francis in my top 5.... and few people even know who he is. Doesn't bother me. People should maybe hold less personal attachment to people whowill never know who you are.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

Originally Posted by M16

I'm sorry, but even as one of the biggest Jay haters on the planet Earth, RD is an undeniable classic.
Well there you have it. If this guy calls anything outside of some obscure cd Classic, i would have to agree, and so should you.
Point blank.
happy.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted by BigLescobar

jay ran with everyone who was hot at the time to stay relevant, but cant knock him for that...

people are QUICK to forget that Jay-z was quick to never turn a feature back in da mid-late 90's....
laugh.gif

people also are quick to forget that jay-z was one of da first rappers droppin a album every year..it kinda made him da madden football of rap, he wasn'tda

best but doin that made him into a house hold name real fast.

his first big break was that rush hour 1 hit can i get a...it was his first song that he didn't need foxy brown to get radio play..da movie promotion didall da work.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

jay ran with everyone who was hot at the time to stay relevant, but cant knock him for that...

people are QUICK to forget that Jay-z was quick to never turn a feature back in da mid-late 90's....
laugh.gif

people also are quick to forget that jay-z was one of da first rappers droppin a album every year..it kinda made him da madden football of rap, he wasn't da

best but doin that made him into a house hold name real fast.

his first big break was that rush hour 1 hit can i get a...it was his first song that he didn't need foxy brown to get radio play..da movie promotion did all da work.

Foxy wasn't on it but it was still the same formula from their previous work.

his first big break was that rush hour 1 hit can i get a...it was his first song that he didn't need foxy brown to get radio play

Uh....hard knock life?

Hard knock life was da second single, that's da one that was "buzzworthy" joint according to

MTV so its da one they D-rode and in tern it took jay-z from about a 1 time platinum rapper stuck in just

Da rap world to a full bread music superstar.

Originally Posted by Illuztrious

Deep down, Jay knows his limitations

see, jay never could succeed at the same time as his peer group. his fans are another generation younger. thats why he can get away with lying to his fanbase about RD's classic status and bury his wackness and obscurity level in the rap game pre-Vol 2. the majoriy of his fans/stans have no recollection of this time period. they don't know, so they just go by what he say.

truth is, Jay is a good, but not a great artist. And he can't accept it.

he knows he was never on Big and Pac's level and their deaths spawned his success.

he knows he was never on Nas' level, Jay had to bite Nas' whole style just to bust a grape to gain some ground in the game.

he knows he lacks substance as an artist. fortunately for Jay, the Blueprint's beats were the saving grace and most talked about thing on that album. because lyrically it sucked. why? because it was Jay's most "introspective" album.

he knows that he aint no gutter/grimy/hardcore rapper, despite being from Bed-stuy.

he knows his bread and butter and true talent is in the mindless, frivolous, non-substance having party songs. And that really eats at him. because all of the so-called greats had songs that made n*ggas think, touched the lives of people, as well as entertain. Jay is just one-dimensional.

so his crying, is really a cry to God:

"God, why you bless Nas and not me?"

qft
Some of y'alls biases are ridiculous.

Jay never made a thought provoking song?
He's not respected by his peers?
He bit Nas' style?

That $$%# is just laughable.

I agree there is a lot of truth in the claims that he made a lot of "superficial" songs, but um...did he still not go in lyrically on them?That's what makes Jay stand out from most cats. He could make hot *!+ club songs that females will vibe to (but still spazzed on them), he made songs forthe streets and he still had introspective tracks. He may not have been as socially aware or introspective as say, Nasir Jones, but why the %#$% would you wantevery artist to have the same formula? I like Jay because he is what he is. I like Nas because he is what he is. I really don't understand how y'alllet your biases towards one artist spoil your opinion about another. That's about as dumb as *!#%*%% hating apples just because you like oranges more...

Hard knock life was da second single, that's da one that was "buzzworthy" joint according to

MTV so its da one they D-rode and in tern it took jay-z from about a 1 time platinum rapper stuck in just

ACTUALLY upon further research it was the third single. Money aint a thang was the first. Regardless though Hard Knock Life catapulted him towhere he is now easy....doesn't hurt that Jigga What was the next single....and Big Pimpin was on Vol 3. I agree with you on him putting out albumsfrequently helping. However I'd have to say he's made excellent singles album after album...which would explain where he's at now. Still tho thearticle posted was so ridiculously biased it's not really worth arguing over.

dudes is actin like just because it was off a soundtrack that he didnt make the song.

I guess Aaliyah and timbo should get discredited for the Dr Doolittle soundtrack too huh?

NT is silly.

dudes is actin like just because it was off a soundtrack that he didnt make the song.

I guess Aaliyah and timbo should get discredited for the Dr Doolittle soundtrack too huh?

NT is silly.
promotion and exposure help da song get's to where its gotta get...cuz there's LOADS of songs that are great but because da exposurewasn't there they

hit a rut and never popped off da way they was supposed to.

movie singles when good go far since u got da music industry muscle and da movie industry muscle flexin to get spins...haven't ya noticed that jay-z wasdoin

those early in his career for ALOT of songs?

ain't no n** if i'm not mistaken was on da nutty professor soundtrack and thats what got him at da door at def jam.

NT is silly.
promotion and exposure help da song get's to where its gotta get...cuz there's LOADS of songs that are great but because da exposure wasn't there they

hit a rut and never popped off da way they was supposed to.

movie singles when good go far since u got da music industry muscle and da movie industry muscle flexin to get spins...haven't ya noticed that jay-z was doin

those early in his career for ALOT of songs?

ain't no n** if i'm not mistaken was on da nutty professor soundtrack and thats what got him at da door at def jam.

Damn, that's a good +%* point.

Ain't No N... - Nutty Professor Sdtk
Can I Get A... - Rush Hour Sdtk (what did that song have to do with the movie anyway? lol)
Girl's Best Friend - Corny joint with Martin Lawrence...forget the name
Hey Papi - Nutty Professor 2 Sdtk

The last three being MAJOR singles. Hmm...

Originally Posted by JsindaA

ACTUALLY upon further research it was the third single. Money aint a thang was the first. Regardless though Hard Knock Life catapulted him to where he is now easy....doesn't hurt that Jigga What was the next single....and Big Pimpin was on Vol 3. I agree with you on him putting out albums frequently helping. However I'd have to say he's made excellent singles album after album...which would explain where he's at now. Still tho the article posted was so ridiculously biased it's not really worth arguing over.

I believe "Money Ain't A Thing" was technically a JD single for the LIFE IN 1472 album. Though it wound up being stripped onto Jay's album.

I agree with a lot of what Blazinj said (what up B?). I'm not afraid to speak out on Jay when cats OD on the love and make him appear flawless and perfect.Because he's not.

One thing you will not EVER hear me do is question his talent as an MC.

Yea, he borrowed some lines. He still NICE.

Yea, he OD's on the GOAT talk. He still NICE.

I don't get how it suddenly became cool to throw salt at dude when he's accomplished so much. But it's whatever. What's cool on NT rarely seesthe light of day offline.

But you guys also liked the songs!

yall actin like yall had the songs shoved down ya throat.

I don't get how it suddenly became cool to throw salt at dude when he's accomplished so much. But it's whatever. What's cool on NT rarely sees the light of day offline.
NT is just full of blasphemous _'s who like to go against the grain in general. I remember that one dude not too long ago wrote and full andconcise essay about why Joe Budden's Mood Music series was better than Jay's catalog.

It became the cool thing to do on here to throw salt @ Jay around 04-05 when the Diplomats beef kicked off and just escalated from there.

If you look further into it...I just find it amazing when everyone attacks his character and recent work...yet he's still easily the most scrutinizedartist in the game right now. All the people who's considered "better than him" and who people annoint on here...there music does NOT get asanalyzed and critiqued as heavily as Jay's does. Whether it's Nas, Budden, Game, whoever. Whether negative or positive...I still do not see dudes breakdown line by line of every verse...or so much attention given to what they do outside of rap. It's like despite what criticism people have CONTINUED togive him in the past 4-5 years on this board...he still remains the measuring stick for artists. When SLU dropped...everyone had the most to say aboutJay's verse...whether they thought it was wack or not. Go and count how many "(Insert Upcoming Album Here) or Blueprint 3: Which one are you lookingforward to the most?" posts we've had on here in the past year. No matter how many people come out and say "I'm not checking for himanymore...he's old...washed up...he doesn't move me anymore...he fell off" posts we see...he still remains the most talked about...in an era wherehe's no longer a top dog (record selling wise) in the game.

Why is that?

laugh.gif

Posting completely legit opinions is now "hating" and "throwing salt"
smh.gif

Jay-Z is not that nice. Get over it.

Case in point...this M16 dude.

While I'm sure most of us (I know I don't) don't take this guy serious...we know how he feels about Jay...but yet...

http://niketalk.yuku.com/...it=search&advanced=1

He's got over 10 pages of posts where he discusses Jay-Z...

You would think people wouldn't have THAT much to say about somebody they don't +@#% with like that right?

I mean you won't find me posting 10 pages worth of opinion on Kid Cudi...

Originally Posted by M16

Every opinion is "biased". That's why it's an opinion.

Na dont give me that u gotta extreme hate for jay-z which leads u to say things like he's whack and wat not.....

NT is just full of blasphemous _'s
word to Judas.

I bet a lot of the haters of Jay are truly fans. I dont like Juelz, so i dont listen to him. So you'll never hear me comment on skull gang cause i neverheard it. These dudes know jay's lyrics word for word, no every lil thing that happens in the artist's life and claim they dont like his music. makesno sense.

word to Judas.

I bet a lot of the haters of Jay are truly fans. I dont like Juelz, so i dont listen to him. So you'll never hear me comment on skull gang cause i never heard it. These dudes know jay's lyrics word for word, no every lil thing that happens in the artist's life and claim they dont like his music. makes no sense.

Im sayin

I dont think op understands- U POSTED HIS LYRICS AND BROKE THEM DOWN. U KNOW THE LYRICS SOOOOO..........U LOVE HIS BLOODCLAT CRYIN

word to Judas.

I bet a lot of the haters of Jay are truly fans. I dont like Juelz, so i dont listen to him. So you'll never hear me comment on skull gang cause i never heard it. These dudes know jay's lyrics word for word, no every lil thing that happens in the artist's life and claim they dont like his music. makes no sense.

While on some level you're right, you would be out of your mind to state that his extremist (which you can be at more than a few time) take anyonecritiquing him as someone "hating" on him, which in turn on fuels the fire. Like I've previously stated I despise his fans making it seem as ifhe could do no wrong or that everything he says is gospel, which gives me the urge to go in on him even tho he's one of my favorites.

word to Judas.

That's why I say too many lames is quick to call anyone a hater when they have a less than complimentary, negative, or critical opinion of OlMan Jigga. Best way I could describe myself is someone who was a fan. I got Jay albums, he was mad nice to me but it aint hard to recognize an artist on thedecline. Now if I check for his albums its just to see if its good music. I'm more likely to delete songs I don't like on BP3 than deleting joints onVol. 3. It is what it is. Call a spade a spade when you see it. Overall lets not act like other than commercial shhh he's doing something better in onecategory better than any one rapper.

Too many stans got the word hater on their mind to try an ignore and excuse valid points. Instead of admitting or agreeing the points that make sense yallimmediately target the part where you feel you're completely right in but it aint new on NT.

Originally Posted by BradNSU

this dude who wrote this sound like a Jay-Z hater
Did you just state the obvious?

What Jay-Z raps about, he's like, the politics of hip-hop. I respect this man more than any other mainstream hip hop artist still getting radio plays andon MTV. Besides that, he def. ain't the best, but he's great.

Back
Top Bottom