Jiro Sushi loses their 3 Michelin Star

I’d wait outside and, whoever has reservations that day. I’m giving them $200 to get me sushi for take out. Simple.

“hey my guy, you’re eating in here today? Hey, here’s $300, grab me something right quick”
These not those kinda places. They wouldn't even let you in with your cheetah print shirts

Alot of restaurants in Tokyo are running into this dilemma were international exposure grows exponentially because of social media, netflix etc. so not only are you now fighting over reservations with the locals who've already been on the wave, now all these tourists want in on the action as well. Some have gone so far as to straight up barring foreigners from making reservations, alot of times mainly because multiple no shows.

If it weren't for the stars and netflix and bourdain etc etc most people would not be happy to reserve months in advance to have a meal that lasts that short regardless of how amazing the fish is or how many years the dude in the back trained to make some fluffy eggs.

Now on the other hand, a couple years ago I was super fortunate to get reservations at Den. 2 star restaurant at the time rated one of the best if not the best restaurant in japan. Part of what made the experience so special and worth it was that besides the food actually being amazing, the entire staff including the head chef were so warm and attentive the entire time. They went so far as to include flags of where we were from as part of one of the dishes. We stayed well over two hours just chatting in between dishes and we never felt pushed to leave. I guess its really what you make of it, but eating at Jiro really just seems like a novelty at this point.

Alot of restaurants in Tokyo are running into this dilemma were international exposure grows exponentially because of social media, netflix etc. so not only are you now fighting over reservations with the locals who've already been on the wave, now all these tourists want in on the action as well. Some have gone so far as to straight up barring foreigners from making reservations, alot of times mainly because multiple no shows.

If it weren't for the stars and netflix and bourdain etc etc most people would not be happy to reserve months in advance to have a meal that lasts that short regardless of how amazing the fish is or how many years the dude in the back trained to make some fluffy eggs.

Now on the other hand, a couple years ago I was super fortunate to get reservations at Den. 2 star restaurant at the time rated one of the best if not the best restaurant in japan. Part of what made the experience so special and worth it was that besides the food actually being amazing, the entire staff including the head chef were so warm and attentive the entire time. They went so far as to include flags of where we were from as part of one of the dishes. We stayed well over two hours just chatting in between dishes and we never felt pushed to leave. I guess its really what you make of it, but eating at Jiro really just seems like a novelty at this point.

Heard of Den. Need to go there next time I’m in Japan. The chef is super creative and has a sense of humor which he brings to all his dishes from what I’ve seen.

Absolutely worth it, Hasegawa and his team are super nice and accommodating super cool with pictures video etc and when it dies down even invites people to go to the work / kitchen area to check it out would definitely go again given the chance.

Back
Top Bottom