Joaquin Phoenix announces his retirement from Hollywood to pursue Music...

[h1]Joaquin Phoenix Shocks With Retirement Announcement[/h1]

[h2]by Matt McDaniel | October 29, 2008[/h2]

Joaquin Phoenix, who turned 34 years old just yesterday, stunned E! Online reporter Jason Kennedy with the announcement that he would be retiring from acting. The two-time Oscar nominee stated this on the red carpet at a Monday benefit for the Association of Hole in the Wall Camps, a charity founded by Paul Newman.

Phoenix said that "Two Lovers," his upcoming romantic drama with Gwyneth Paltrow and Vinessa Shaw, will be his final on-screen role.
"This will be my last performance as an actor. I'm not doing films anymore... I've been through that. I've done it... I'm dead serious." See the full interview >>

Phoenix is apparently giving up acting to pursue music, a passion of his since he learned to play guitar to play the role of Johnny Cash in 2005's "Walk the Line." According to Billboard, Phoenix is working on an album with Tim Burgess, frontman for the UK group The Charlatans. Burgess said, "Once he learnt guitar he found that he had quite a lot of demons inside himself that he wanted to expel through music.

Phoenix appeared at the charity event on Monday with his brother-in-law, Casey Affleck. Affleck is married to Phoenix's younger sister, Summer. In explaining his retirement decision, Phoenix said, "It's Casey's time now."

Affleck confirmed for E! Online that Phoenix is telling the truth when he says he's leaving the acting profession, saying, "I guess he's getting into music. He's putting out an album." But both Affleck and Phoenix hurried away from the cameras without elaborating.

"Two Lovers," Phoenix's final film, premiered earlier this year at the Cannes Film Festival to mostly positive reviews. Ray Bennett of The Hollywood Reporter writes, "Phoenix plays the romantic lead with great intelligence and enormous charm, making his character's conflict utterly believable." The picture is scheduled for release on February 13th, 2009. So far there is no word on when Phoenix's first album will hit shelves.

I tried to post this yesterday - freaking yuku kept saying nothing was in the body box even though i was looking right at it.. So thanks for posting this, igave up.

Anyways - don't understand why he thinks he's a musician now after playing guitar for 3 years
laugh.gif

But whatever - he was a good actor, and I predict he'll be back when he realizes he is not nearly as good a musician as an actor.

In all fairness it's only Joaquin Phoenix. He seems like an attention %*$@% for even announcing this when he could've made the transition quietly. Asit stands this looks like a publicity stand for his upcoming album or tour.

Isn't that a step backwards? Don't singers usually try to go into Hollywood and not the other way around?

Originally Posted by TrueshotAura

Isn't that a step backwards? Don't singers usually try to go into Hollywood and not the other way around?

Exactly what I was thinking. I like dude as an actor though. He'll be back...

Phoenix said that "Two Lovers," his upcoming romantic drama with Gwyneth Paltrow and Vinessa Shaw, will be his final on-screen role.

At least he's going out with a bang.

I respect due for following his heart. If he isn't in acting anymore, he isn't in it. But i would not be surprised to see a comeback.

after missing out on the oscar twice, i'd say he was one young actor that still had a great chance to win one. maybe with his last film he will...

laugh.gif
Ah gotta continue to love the media

"Shocks!"

"Stuns!"

With his announcement. Like this is Denzel.

I wonder how shocked they'll be when Phoenix is back acting in less than 2 years, as everybody knows but E Online

Back
Top Bottom