Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Hey guys, I figure I would share my story and hopefully it would inspire others. So I was unemployed for nearly two years, and made ends meet by starting a clothing line. I lived in Illinois and the job market is shot. I relocated to Ocala, which my girlfriend stays.

So, my luck here was much better. A week after I moved, I got a job interview for a position in graphic design making 15 a hour. I didn't get it but i kept looking. Ended up getting a holiday job at Old Navy and stayed there for 7 months. The good thing about the company is that you get a dollar raise after six months and the pay goes up every June. Employees there make $10 a hour. Still wasn't cutting it for me.

Retail really annoyed me so i applied for a temp agency in town. I didn't really expect much, but the first agency actually called me and told me that this place that makes fire engines is looking for a in process photographer, which is just taking pictures of the various stages of production for the trucks. The position payed $14 a hour and was a temp to hire position. I jumped on that.

Two months later and I'm doing really well there, and am about to turn over from hourly to salary pay. I showed my supervisor that I had a degree in graphic design so i do that now too. If you are thinking about relocating for work, definitely consider it
I'm thinking about relocating but have no room and board once I relocate, show how would you go about that?

I'm thinking about relocating but have no room and board once I relocate, show how would you go about that?

I'd probably see if there was a family
Member or friend I could stay with until I got myself on my feet. At one point I was thinking about going to Indianapolis, my dad says they're giving away jobs there like crazy

I'd probably see if there was a family
Member or friend I could stay with until I got myself on my feet. At one point I was thinking about going to Indianapolis, my dad says they're giving away jobs there like crazy
Yeah job market here is too fire

For recent grads or for ppl that have a place to stay for free or low rent, look into AmeriCorps. It's pretty much the equivalent to PeaceCorps but here in the states. I had trouble finding a job for nine months until I decided to do a year of service through AmeriCorps VISTA. Pay is really low (bi-weekly stipend at the poverty level of your location) but you'll receive a educational scholarship and non-competitive eligibility for gov jobs at the end of your service. My service year was great because I got to gain a lot of experience, network with ppl all across the country, and positively impact my hometown community all at the same time. Def would recommend to anyone who could afford to do it.

Sup people, had a interview almost 2 weeks ago. Tomorrow which will be two weeks I'm going to email the HR person and ask
the status on the position. I thinking 2 weeks is a good time to do some checking up. I'm very interested in the job since it's
extremely close to my house and a different field.

One thing to note, the interview was late by almost a hour. I sat in the waiting room reading whatever random papers they had
laying around. I wasn't going to give up the opportunity to get interviewed for this city job.

To me that's a red flag on their part and a sign of confusion in the department. I arrived 15 or so minutes before the interview.
I did feel like I did well in the interview and had questions to ask them about the job requirements and what their looking for in
an employee.

Anyway just probing people to see how they feel about the situation.

On a side note has anyone paid to have their resume/cover letter tailored for specific jobs. I think it's in this post but somebody
posted a lady in linkedin that charges for the service and I'm thinking about doing it. The price wasn't bad and I think a fresh
start would be good for me.

"The Truth" did my resume right but also I didn't have much to work with...

I need to get back on my grind with applying. Sent my resume to a few start up companies a few weeks ago

I have situation and I need your help......

I was fired because I was 2 minutes late to a meeting.....two minutes man

I went to apply for unemployment and my job never responded to my claim

I received a phone call from unemployment and told the lady investigating the claim that I had never been warned or anything for being late

today I found out I got disqualified for unemployment......

bro I need your help guys....I know I can appeal this.....what can I do????

Im in Texas BTW

Two days ago this recruiter wanted to set up a phone interview with me and wanted me to let her know my availability for this week. I replied back stating my availability. As of right now she hasn't responded back :smh:

I'm tempted to email her again, but not sure what to say

A recruiter has now contacted me 5 times to look at his calendar and set up an interview. The link he provided does not have a calendar and his phone number is always busy :smh:

Two days ago this recruiter wanted to set up a phone interview with me and wanted me to let her know my availability for this week. I replied back stating my availability. As of right now she hasn't responded back
mean.gif

I'm tempted to email her again, but not sure what to say
Email her and ask if there have been any updates regarding that positions availability and if she has anything else she feels you would be a good fit for.

Had an interview lined up for yesterday. Dude cancelled it 2 hours we supposed to meet. I called out of work for it too. :smh: No word of reschedule or explanation.

Been working this retail gig for the last month, but yesterday I had an interview with the Red Skins. Dude told me they don't have any openings right now, but they like to have people lined up right away when there's turnover. Gave me his card and said to keep in touch. Hopefully something comes sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Had an interview lined up for yesterday. Dude cancelled it 2 hours we supposed to meet. I called out of work for it too.
mean.gif
No word of reschedule or explanation.
He couldnt send someone in his place? He has to have a right hand man/direct counterpart. That is crazy and unprofessional.

currently working at Nordstrom in miami. What sucks is we only get paid commission (shoes) so if I get to work and nobody cops, I don't eat. Tired of going to work and have days where I've basically worked for free. Going to try and apply at some of these hotels down here in south beach in the mean time and see what I can get. This communication degree is *** :rofl: smh

I'm trying to help out a friend, she's basically a medical assistant and looking for positions in that field. Besides craigslist what other websites/places can you guys reccommend that she look at. Thanks in advance!

I know doctor offices and primecares (not sure if they're called that in other states) use medical assistants ...she can also look for a local agency that does contract work with random medical places

Damn is that commission **** a common practice with those types of store?

Also... Nordstrom has no return policy. As long as u have proof of purchase we have to take it back. So whatever I sold and is returned gets deducted from my net sells. So you battling 1) customers not purchasing a lot during slow seasons 2) returns 3) no hourly

**** don't make sense to me at times why I'm still here

Ok nt I graduate in December but I can never get a call for an interview when I put in an app... I have a resume but no cover letter...and I use my resume...I know you guys aren't physics but do you have any tips for me?

Ok nt I graduate in December but I can never get a call for an interview when I put in an app... I have a resume but no cover letter...and I use my resume...I know you guys aren't physics but do you have any tips for me?

Have you been hitting career fairs or just applying online?

^just applying online...also when I fill an app out I list that I don't have a degree since I have the fall semester left to go should I change that?

Utilize career fairs, it's a great way to have face to face interaction (plus networking) with a company prior to an interview and you can share that you are graduating soon. On the application you should be able to include your graduation date as Fall 2015/Dec 2015 so yes, I'd include that. Most (if not all) of those online apps go through a filtering system before an actual person sees it (if they do) and if the job requires a degree your app won't even make it to HR if your not including that info. Make sure your resume includes the time that you are graduating also.

Back
Top Bottom