Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

^Foreal its stagnant out here man and it seems like everybody can get a position except for us.

Hey everybody, im doing an video interview for my dream job ,and i dont know the first thing about interveiwing video wise and tips would be greatly appreciat

Hey everybody, im doing an video interview for my dream job ,and i dont know the first thing about interveiwing video wise and tips would be greatly appreciat

Prep should be the same as an in-person interview. Some things you might want to think about:

lighting -- In the same way you want to put your best foot forward live you want to make sure that ikea lamp you picked up during undergrad isn't throwing shadows that will make you look serial-killer-ish (I suggest light so think maybe a window backdrop but given the time of the interview you don't want the high sun to block the interviewer.

Backdrop -- pick a space to set up that isn't distracting ... While you might have an affinity for your batman collectible figurines or that vintage Tarantino movie poster signed by him odds are it will read less 'chill' and more 'kid'ish (and not ready for the gig). I tend to go with s staid bookcase background with the college books du jour in view but I know folks will go with a taped up pillow case in the background (but I tend to think this reads less non descript and more like you should be holding up a newspaper to confirm the date of your kidnapping).

In a perfect world tech will fail (you) -- make sure before the interview starts you understand the protocol for if the video/audio feed fails....is there a number you need to call or should you expect them to connect back with you. Of course in the confirmation make sure you have the tech specs for the video call.

Also if you will be using a popular software such as skype/Fb/google hangout make sure the avi and screen name is interview ready ... Again you don't want to give the interviewer any extraneous things to think about.

Runthrough runthrough and runthrough --- find a homie/family member who is available to have a quick video chat during the approximate time as your interview. Put on your best tie or push up bra which ever the case maybe and have a quick talk about your upcoming interview....then get the feedback. Was the tie to busy, was there any distractions in the background (neighbors happy dog, your housecat that decided to jump on the table and purr loudly in the background), blind spots/sun spots, where was your natural eye wandering points, did you gesticulate with your hands too much and in view, etc. Adjust after feedback an runthrough again.

Make sure you have a glass water/tissues ready and anything that would cause you to break the interview space once it's started.

Ok guys I have an interview later today its for a part time or full time gig because I'm still in school, but I had a preliminary phone interview yesterday for an internship. I should know if I make the second interview for the internship tomorrow. My question to you guys is if I am offered both positions which one would y'all choose. The internship is very hands on and its paid so keep that in mind.

Industrial distribution...just got another interview for a financial service representative for this bank. Salary is pretty sweet until I graduate so that's top of my list now. Interview is Friday but I asked for today off for work for an interview today so I might just quit my current job vs getting written warnings for missing days

Last edited:
Big interview today with a 3PL company with pretty solid pay.

Has anyone ever worked for Gannett? I have a final interview with the sales director tomorrow for an inside sales position basically selling advertisements through Careerbuilder, USA Today, and local newspapers (They own 80 across the country). Downtown Indy location right across da street from Bankers Life 
pimp.gif

Internship is with a consulting company. Anybody ever worked in consulting

Worked for a political consultancy before grad school and you will want to be clear before the interview if the consultancy is a thought leadership or skills-oriented consultancy. With a thought keadership variety it's about identifying needs, analyze human capital in place to meet those needs and to craft a plan of action for the client to undertake. If you understand your consultancy you are interviewing it wil set the tone of your responses and give you a sense of what's being discerned by the interviewer.

Came across a third shift opportunity, not a plant job like on a production line but a clerical job. Any advice if anyone has any expericence with third shifts?

Keep on grinding bros, it WILL pay off even when you think it won't. Looking for jobs is a parttime/fulltime job in itself but just keep reminding yourself that "You're a couple weeks away from a new job" eventually it'll be true.

Congrats on the gig fam!

Keep grinding out there fellas. I was in the same boat and things looked bleak. just gotta keep on keeping on.

To add to what he said I would add that you should wear the whole suit, not just the jacket and shirt.

One thing that I noticed during my interviews is that having really good questions for the employee can work wonders. I'm almost 100% confident that my questions gave me an edge in the selection process. I say this because from the first interview they sounded amazed by the questions I asked and it always became a topic in the other interviews. They seemed pretty simple to me but I believe it showed how serious I was with getting a start on my career with the company and how interested I was in hearing how they got to where they were in their careers. Figured this information might help others preparing for interviews :smile:

Came across a third shift opportunity, not a plant job like on a production line but a clerical job. Any advice if anyone has any expericence with third shifts?

High probability you're gonna be chilling hard so good luck with that lol just don't chill too hard.

Also make sure you sleep. It's real easy to miss sleep because it's sun out when you get off and everyone's up and about. Set a sleep schedule.

One thing that I noticed during my interviews is that having really good questions for the employee can work wonders. I'm almost 100% confident that my questions gave me an edge in the selection process. I say this because from the first interview they sounded amazed by the questions I asked and it always became a topic in the other interviews. They seemed pretty simple to me but I believe it showed how serious I was with getting a start on my career with the company and how interested I was in hearing how they got to where they were in their careers. Figured this information might help others preparing for interviews :smile:

Very true ... And a book that's helped me from that end was 60 Seconds and You're Hired by Robin Ryan.

Been tryna get an entry-level web developer job but can't seem to get over the hump. I like my current job but I need something w/ more money and more career oriented.

Glad to see all the interviews and job offers as of late though. Keep pushin peoples.

What questions you asked

Just to list a few:

-Where do you see the company in the next 5 years?
-In your opinion, what are some of the biggest challenges for this position?
-How did you get to this point in your career?
-In your opinion, what does it take to be successful here?
-What do you like the most about the company/job?
-What would be the first project that I'd be working on? (This is a good one especially if you get called back for a 2nd interview and you can share your plan for the project)

There are a bunch of questions online that you can look up but just re-word them in a way thats comfortable for you. Depending on how many people you are interviewing in front of, direct the questions to specific individuals by name.

Tips on places (besides retail) that work around school schedules. Been doing this retail thing far too long and I know I'm about to snap real soon :smh:

Back
Top Bottom