Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

True. And again, I won't know what the numbers are until Monday. I'm just throwing some numbers out. One employee suggested that the pay bump would be $5K. Which is OK. 

I feel like I'll get lowballed so I'm already ready to state my case and counter offer. This new position offers a ton of technical skills and exposure that will be better for my career in the long run compared to the role i'm currently in, but it wouldn't make sense to receive a 3 to 5% increase.

True. And again, I won't know what the numbers are until Monday. I'm just throwing some numbers out. One employee suggested that the pay bump would be $5K. Which is OK. 

I feel like I'll get lowballed so I'm already ready to state my case and counter offer. This new position offers a ton of technical skills and exposure that will be better for my career in the long run compared to the role i'm currently in, but it wouldn't make sense to receive a 3 to 5% increase.
Aim for $60k if you make $53k now.

I take it you're still young, right? I personally think that experience > current pay. Build that resume, network, and let that propel you.

+$100k before 30yo, let's get it fam.

Aim for $60k if you make $53k now.

I take it you're still young, right? I personally think that experience > current pay. Build that resume, network, and let that propel you.

+$100k before 30yo, let's get it fam.

23. Not exactly young, but not old either. The worst they can say is no. :lol:

Last edited:
^ I was just about to say when I read he graduated less than a year ago.
laugh.gif

Chase the experience, build your skillset and network, and move onward and upward.

And try to create multiple revenue streams.

Last edited:
Welp.. Earlier this monday I told my wife I was gon put in my 2 weeks at job corps as a counselor. Politics were ridiculous, pay was ****** and the head faces are fake as ****. They let me go yesterday and did not renew my contract that was up on dec 30. **** them and the fed govt. Lot of OG heads disliked my style due to focusing on the (+) rather then their (-).. I was one of very few that gave a damn about those lost minds and always preached self empowerment to help see others improve their situation.
Completed 2 interviews this past week and one from a native tribe council called back.. Hopefully this gig falls through.

Last edited:
How do you guys think a resume containing BIG BOX STORE (Home Depot, Walmart, BestBuy, etc) manager fair with business employers?

Also, where can you go after a big box store if you don't want to be in retail anymore? What options?

How do you guys think a resume containing BIG BOX STORE (Home Depot, Walmart, BestBuy, etc) manager fair with business employers?

Also, where can you go after a big box store if you don't want to be in retail anymore? What options?

I don't see no problem with that, your a manager you gain skills as a manager. Those translate to any job not just retail.
I was a manager at a airport cafe, went to a manager at a landscaping company and then landed a gig as a employee of the beer business. It's all about the skills you acquire at least for me it was.

I don't see no problem with that, your a manager you gain skills as a manager. Those translate to any job not just retail.
I was a manager at a airport cafe, went to a manager at a landscaping company and then landed a gig as a employee of the beer business. It's all about the skills you acquire at least for me it was.
As a manager you acquire many skills .. from team leading, to program manager, to HR. I just wonder how does it translate to a different area in business. Like you want a normal 9-5. Or a higher paying job.

For example - Walmart Store Managers have been known to make up to 300k a year with bonus and stuff. Where can you go from there in a different sector?

Any kind of management experience is a plus, I know I dont truly have any and who knows when I will ever get it.

Managing a Walmart pays how much??? Thats unreal.

Any kind of management experience is a plus, I know I dont truly have any and who knows when I will ever get it.

Managing a Walmart pays how much??? Thats unreal.
300k is not based, but certain stores with bonus you are hitting 300k.

Store managers are easily making 120k+ Just by being a manager .. 

I had an interview go extremely well a couple of weeks ago. They contacted me asking me to do a final interview. I've never been on a second interview for a company so now I'm nervous any tips?

I had an interview go extremely well a couple of weeks ago. They contacted me asking me to do a final interview. I've never been on a second interview for a company so now I'm nervous any tips?
Be yourself. Triple up on knowledge of the company. Do you know who you are interviewing with the second go around? Learn a little bit about what they do and their role with the company.

Make sure to have a lot of questions for upper management as well. Like 5-10.

Last edited:
Keko with any job you will have to learn new stuff. I don't really understand what you are asking. All of the skills you listed should help you because they are assets. When they are interviewing numerous people they look at different skills and such. Im assuming being a supervisor/manager would look better on your resume because you held responsibility and accountability at your job. At my current job everyone I've talked to was in a position of power at one point of their career.

I had a friend get denied a job because his resume showed he couldn't make decisions for himself. Granted he was always a regular worker and never in a position of power even during the interview he admitted he would always have to get a second opinion.

Going upwards from a Walmart store manager making 300k+ with bonuses. I'm assuming you would have to be hitting every mark and goal corporate is throwing at you. From there you could be moved to a failing Walmart with incentives, climb up corporate ladder to a different part of marketing or region based duties, maybe hit up the logistics side of Walmart. Take your impressive resume and expand on different ventures with another company. There's always room to grow within a big corporation like Walmart.

I was asking the question because my boy asked me the question. Although I had a logical answer, I'm not in corporate America. I'm not sure how jobs in retail are view by corporate ...

I'm not sure Walmart and/or BestBuy is something you want in your resume. I guess if you are a AM or GM then it can differs.

My boy yesterday accepted the BestBuy job as a AM operations and today he received an offer from Walmart as AM Tire and Lube department making 65K with up to 15% base salary of bonus .. store avg is 10%.

Dude told them he was going to think about it. LoL he is a wreck. Now he is weighting the Operation manager benefits of BestBuy with the salary to a 10 minute commute to Walmart.

I don't even know what to tell him. He told me BB is 68K with up to 20% bonus and if he Max out it doubles. But the commute is 45 minutes. I told him not to duck around and just decide.

I was just talking to @Antidope about this, but my old bosses have an open analyst role at their company.

- I've known them for 4+ years (they took me on a) when I had no experience in college and paid me as an intern and b) hired me last summer when I was unemployed)

- This role is exactly what I was doing with them except a permanent full-time role. I'm one of the very few who knows how their systems work

- I'm about to hit the 1-year anniversary at my current job and I'm looking to get out ASAP

- I'm meeting them this Monday, but have no idea how I should be preparing

- Last summer, I went to the office, they told me what work they needed done over the summer, asked if $60k pro-rated for 3 months sounds good, and when I can start work

Any tips? I try to play it safe, so I'm just brushing up on interview prep, but they've confirmed I'll only be meeting them + another young analyst on their team
UPDATE: Got the job, just signed the offer letter. A slight increase in salary + bonus + more interesting / challenging work. Will start after the new year.

Let's all flourish together, NT fam.
UPDATE: It's only been a week and I'm getting destroyed at this new job. A ton of backlogged projects, meetings all day, and I really only get back to my desk at 7PM. I'm doing work at home as I'm typing this post.

I'll also have to start traveling to meetings across the US / Europe soon. I'm not salty, I'm just tired already.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
UPDATE: It's only been a week and I'm getting destroyed at this new job. A ton of backlogged projects, meetings all day, and I really only get back to my desk at 7PM. I'm doing work at home as I'm typing this post.

I'll also have to start traveling to meetings across the US / Europe soon. I'm not salty, I'm just tired already. :lol:

Get them checks and stack and enjoy it bro. It heals everything :lol:

Congrats slighted slighted It'll pay off bro, just think about the experience and the people you'll meet traveling which will give you a broader range of connections.

I just decided that I'm going to take the gamble and take the CAPM in order to get my foot in the door in Project Management. Didn't wanna spend the $300 on the exam and sit on the cert w/o getting any experience but at this point, not taking it seems to be doing more harm than good so I just gotta eat and pound the test out.

Congrats slighted slighted It'll pay off bro, just think about the experience and the people you'll meet traveling which will give you a broader range of connections.

I just decided that I'm going to take the gamble and take the CAPM in order to get my foot in the door in Project Management. Didn't wanna spend the $300 on the exam and sit on the cert w/o getting any experience but at this point, not taking it seems to be doing more harm than good so I just gotta eat and pound the test out.
what's better the CAMP or PMP? Or does that even still in used?

what's better the CAMP or PMP? Or does that even still in used?

PMP is better, but in order to sit for that exam you have to have so many hours of experience and I don't have it. In order to sit for the CAPM, you need to have a degree and a lower amount of hours or 23hrs of classroom time. Taking a little course on Coursera or Ed2Go satisfies that. PMP through PMI is THE cert to get if you're tyring to become a certified PM. My hope is that once I get the CAPM, cats will give me an opportunity and I can go from there; not trying to sit for the CAPM after 5 years because I can't get the hours to sit for the PMP.

PMP is better, but in order to sit for that exam you have to have so many hours of experience and I don't have it. In order to sit for the CAPM, you need to have a degree and a lower amount of hours or 23hrs of classroom time. Taking a little course on Coursera or Ed2Go satisfies that. PMP through PMI is THE cert to get if you're tyring to become a certified PM. My hope is that once I get the CAPM, cats will give me an opportunity and I can go from there; not trying to sit for the CAPM after 5 years because I can't get the hours to sit for the PMP.
I'm going for my PMP this year. Don't know your background but if you have at least 3-4 years of general work experience you could probably sit for the exam. You just need to log your experience in each of the project phases. For example, experience working retail as a sales associate can be logged in the Execution and Controlling/Monitoring phases. You'd have to massage the language a bit but it does count.

I wouldn't bother with the CAPM honestly but something is better than nothing.

Last edited:
I'm going for my PMP this year. Don't know your background but if you have at least 3-4 years of general work experience you could probably sit for the exam. You just need to log your experience in each of the project phases. For example, experience working retail as a sales associate can be logged in the Execution and Controlling/Monitoring phases. You'd have to massage the language a bit but it does count.

I wouldn't bother with the CAPM honestly but something is better than nothing.

Oh word? Good looks on the info. If you don't mind me asking, how did you prepare for the exam knowledge wise? Did you just study the PMBOK or did you use other literature? I have one other book outside of the PMBOK. Looks like I'm gon have to finesse my application and come up with another $200 to sit for the PMP, was only anticipating the CAPM fee

EDIT: After looking at the criteria, don't think I can finesse my exp. I've never had supervisory exp or anything. I have exp and work hard, great, etc. but never looked at to get a position like that. Tired of bustin my butt in avg jobs.

Last edited:
How much can you earn as a PM with a PMP Certificate?

One of my relatives was in the military and recently retired, dude was telling me about his desire to become a PM.

He said he had Lean Six Sigma (Black) but can't sit for the PMP test ...

I'm trying to argue with him the in many cases some employers see 6 Sigma black belt the same as a PMP. Furthermore, I told his ***, that just on the fact that he was in the military for 20 years and logistics for that was more than enough time for him to be able to sit for the PMP. However, that's just my assumption ... would he have enough time for that PMP test?

Back
Top Bottom