Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Been on the job for a few weeks and it's stressing me more than any job ever. Legit feel like i was on the edge of as nervous breakdown earlier.

I wish i could just sit home and work on my art all day. I just have short patience for jobs i know I'm not interested in, but i just needed a job at the time because Uber was wearing me out physical. I'm just tired of working.
Keep it up. Stack your chips so you can start you own art business. Focus on the long term goal.

Photojournalist here...

One month in at a local paper and it's been great so far. Salary/benefits are fine. It's not a high paying job but at least I get to to do what I love.

Anyway, stumbled upon this thread since I moved here from the Philippines a year ago for "inspiration." First of all, congratulations to those who found their calling, and to those still trying to find their niche, keep going!

I almost gave up photography because I was becoming impatient with the lack of prospects/demands in my profession. Part-times at DSG, and I ALMOST took a job at Amazon over what I currently have. I was doing well in the homeland as far my career (covered sports events like FIBA, FIFA, And other pro sports. Got the chance to work for Nike Asia and Adidas) but I was miserable because I wasn't meeting my financial goals and I was worn down. I was earning $300 - $400 a month after taxes and bills. It was stressful so I made the decision to move because sometimes career fulfillment isn't enough to determime practicality.

It took me 8-9 months to land the job I have now, but within the waiting period, I wasn't prepared emotionally and mentally. My friends overseas enjoying their lives at beaches while I kept checking my email for any job offers during the winter season. I'm turning 30 this year and I wanted to prove myself that I can make it in America.

Long story short, I'll be celebrating my one year anniversary next month, and on Thursday, I'll be covering my very first NFL game between the Pats and the Eagles :pimp:

It's definitely frustrating not getting what you want right away, but there are things in your life that will take some time, patience, and understanding to get what you need.

"Winners prove me right, losers prove me wrong" - Robert California

Keep it up, guys!

Question all. If a company has multiple listings that you believe you'd be a fit for, do you apply for both or just one and if it ever comes to fruition, you mention how you noticed another opening as well that you'd be a fit for?

Question all. If a company has multiple listings that you believe you'd be a fit for, do you apply for both or just one and if it ever comes to fruition, you mention how you noticed another opening as well that you'd be a fit for?
I would and have. Cast a wide net bro.

In.

I am/was/have always been a DOD Contractor in IT. Long story short, Apex, didn't fire me and didn't let me reach my contract end date and not renew me, these ****** had decided they were pulling out of this contract where they are the sub entirely, but didn't think it was important to let me know. I found out on Friday it was my last day literally at like 3:54 from the site lead who is mad I haven't come turn in my keys and badge yet so he can get outta there on time ("You know what today is right? How come I haven't seen you to turn in your stuff?") So my Apex guy of course is ducking my calls other than he did text me and say he might have some more stuff for me, but I know they're going to be travel jobs if he ever even does call me back

So that's something to remember when it comes to the courtesy of a 2 weeks notice. This wasn't even me getting fired, or not renewed, this was them knowing that on x date we're going to get rid of everybody, but not telling anyone. The travel people who got axed always got a few days lead time just because they had to be sent flight plans and directions to whatever procedure is for turning in their cars and suite.

Literally I have passed up 4 or so jobs in the last 2 weeks, a job fair, and even got my dufus *** x coworker a job up here that I would love to have now, so again some notice and I could have seemlessly transitioned.

I got some savings so I am waiting for another job fair, just doing some scooters here and there and gonna start Uber tomorrow just to keep putting some new money in until something worthy of my time ($wise) hits back. Called back all the ones I passed up, of course, filled. Reapplied to some jobs, not heard back

Already have an undergraduate degree but
seriously considering going back to school to pursue a new career. Figured I better do it now while i'm in my 20s without children to worry about

So you guys fall back on Uber? How exactly does it work? What is the income like?
The income is decent but pays much better if you drive both Lyft and Uber. PM me for a referral code to both. But the Lyft promo code only works if you’re driving in the SF/Bay Area.

I used to drive just one platform at a time, but in the last month I’ve opted to go for both at the same time and have seen the income change drastically. No lie, I’ve driven the last 3 nights (which have been slow because of burning man) and pulled in $250 take home pay per night. My last 4 Saturdays I’ve taken home $350 per day. Driving has been a good supplemental income for me.

In.

I am/was/have always been a DOD Contractor in IT. Long story short, Apex, didn't fire me and didn't let me reach my contract end date and not renew me, these *****s had decided they were pulling out of this contract where they are the sub entirely, but didn't think it was important to let me know. I found out on Friday it was my last day literally at like 3:54 from the site lead who is mad I haven't come turn in my keys and badge yet so he can get outta there on time ("You know what today is right? How come I haven't seen you to turn in your stuff?") So my Apex guy of course is ducking my calls other than he did text me and say he might have some more stuff for me, but I know they're going to be travel jobs if he ever even does call me back

So that's something to remember when it comes to the courtesy of a 2 weeks notice. This wasn't even me getting fired, or not renewed, this was them knowing that on x date we're going to get rid of everybody, but not telling anyone. The travel people who got axed always got a few days lead time just because they had to be sent flight plans and directions to whatever procedure is for turning in their cars and suite.

Literally I have passed up 4 or so jobs in the last 2 weeks, a job fair, and even got my dufus *** x coworker a job up here that I would love to have now, so again some notice and I could have seemlessly transitioned.

I got some savings so I am waiting for another job fair, just doing some scooters here and there and gonna start Uber tomorrow just to keep putting some new money in until something worthy of my time ($wise) hits back. Called back all the ones I passed up, of course, filled. Reapplied to some jobs, not heard back

contracting for you they want to keep body in seats because the company is still making money off you. if they let you know ahead of time the contract is ending than most likely you will leave before the contract ends having the company lose money.

So you guys fall back on Uber? How exactly does it work? What is the income like?

I did it a couple years back when I was laid off. It was a last resort. Your car will take a pounding (mileage/wear/tear) and it's rough on your body. I had to start taking stretch breaks after the first few weeks. I wouldn't say it's good money. I'd say it's convenient money. To actually make money to replace job income you'd have to work like a dog. Expect to interact with plenty of miserable people who don't tip also. I got tipped maybe once out of every 20 rides and I was over the top cordial (water, phone charger, radio control to the passenger, travel advice, conversation if they wanted it).

Last edited:
The income is decent but pays much better if you drive both Lyft and Uber. PM me for a referral code to both. But the Lyft promo code only works if you’re driving in the SF/Bay Area.

I used to drive just one platform at a time, but in the last month I’ve opted to go for both at the same time and have seen the income change drastically. No lie, I’ve driven the last 3 nights (which have been slow because of burning man) and pulled in $250 take home pay per night. My last 4 Saturdays I’ve taken home $350 per day. Driving has been a good supplemental income for me.

jw, is that after you take out gas money? if not, how much would you spend on gas?

$35 on gas. On sundays it’s guaranteed that someone from the Napa/Sonoma Area will want to go to the airport so that already $80 off the bat.

Saturdays I start at 12:00 then break from 4-6 then go from 6:00 to whenever. The Napa/Sonoma rides are pretty lengthy though. Last Saturday I ended up all the way in Geyserville at 2:00am. The chick I picked up was cool though, we talked sports the entire 30 minutes we were together. It turns out she runs the social media handles for the university of New Mexico.

Sundays I typically start at 5:00am because people want early flights out so I’m constantly going back from Oakland or SF back to Napa/Sonoma. Plus you automatically get a ride back from the airport to somewhere so 5 trips back and forth could easily net you $400+

I was going to do an uber/lyft/postmates but I drive a Durango, I just dont see it adding up to worth it. I've applied to literally over 100 jobs at this point. I'm running into this thing where a lot of jobs won't call me because I'm overqualified, they just want a fresh out of school dude or someone who they can pay 13 an hr right. Then the jobs more in my range, a lot are filled, and many contacted me when I did have a job so I rejected them (was always nice, not disrespectful or anything) so they're open again and not calling when I apply. And a lot of jobs who want a quality candidate like myself dont want to pay **** even when they admit I'd be a good fit they put my salary demands are too high, I reapplied and backed off 27k from what I was making my last job and they still put that. Getting into a GS job is just borderline impossible without being prior service so those aren't coming through. I'm willing to take a 30k paycut just to get working again. Unemployment on that bs making me wait a week even though I filed 3 weeks after my last day and every job you apply for makes you sign up for a new job site so i get millions of emails daily. Just frustrated and broke right now

I understand what you mean. Even if you have great potential, a lot of companies do not think their NOP will be impacted enough to pay you, thus going for candidates that will settle for a fraction of the cost. Frustrating ...

I also applied for a GS job that basically was everything I did/managed in the military and was referred, only to get an email later stating the job was cancelled. Never understood how a company is for a position one day and the next cancelled.

I'm grinding right now, but not sure what Im going to do. Although I can sustain my living for a couple of years on savings, who wants to be broke? I'm stressing.

Last edited:
As simple as it sounds, there are plenty of risk.

In this market that's overly saturated, what business can a person go into and be profitable?

Probably more than you think. But I think people are mostly unaware of business credit and the kind of doors it can open for you

Probably more than you think. But I think people are mostly unaware of business credit and the kind of doors it can open for you
Than I think? Like I mentioned, is not opening a business, anyone can do that, but be profitable and sustainable is not as easy. In addition, I asked what business do you think can accomplished both of my fears?

Also, do you own a business?

PS I'm not trying to be negative, I'm looking for information and legit want to learn and possibly venture into it.

What makes you think it's not easy to start a profitable business? Think about some of the small businesses you've been seeing in your neighborhood for years and ask yourself if those people are so much more capable than you. When I go to the grocery store I can ask someone where are the organic uncured mung beans in 10 oz bags and they'll tell me exactly where to find them. So it's not much more than taking the energy and effort you apply to someone else's business and using it on your own. Definitely something you need to look into for yourself and study as much as you can.
And yes I own a business. Working on my credit and looking to get into real estate.

Back on the job search. Feel like I'm getting complacent in my current position and I'm not being challenged enough. Hoping to land a position back in the Bay Area to be closer to family.

We can do this yall. One day at a time.
Damn leaving so soon. You haven't came and chilled with us from NT.

Bless of luck tho bro!

As simple as it sounds, there are plenty of risk.

In this market that's overly saturated, what business can a person go into and be profitable?
A lot tbh. I know a lady who walks dogs for a living. She has repeat customers who write her $300-$400 checks every month.

How to start a successful business? Think of something that would make the lives of rich people convenient. Take the dog walking lady for example. People come home from work, they’re tired but have a list of things to do that they aren’t necessarily excited to get started on. Offer up your services. Dog walking, landscaping, cleaning pools, etc.

Back
Top Bottom