Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Sup people trying to figure out a move for my future. Currently working at this gig that pays about 32.00hr, 40hr paid weekly and has "good" benefits.
It's a union gig so job security is pretty high since I've been through the probation period and in fact got put on another 6 month probation for being
late 2 times (SMFH). I completely dislike the gig and the management and quite frankly I max out at about 33.55 next year.

I've reached the glass ceiling essentially, my degree allowed me to skip lots of pay grades to reach where I'm at in less than 2 years. My other co-
worker for example has been here 28 years with no degree and I'm the same pay grade as him (stay in school people!)

On top of the lame management, they just go by the book on everything and stupid union rules( it's my department), the distance about 40 miles to D.C (80 daily M-F)
and my overall dislike of the job I feel I need to make a move but I want to make sure if makes since.

I recently found out the company pays 100% tuition (only catch is I have to stay 24 months) so 2 more years here for a masters. I'm really into cybersecurity, my degree is in Environmental studies but I've always been a tech head. So an option that sorta makes my cringe is stay 2 more years and obtain a masters for free in a field I'm hoping I'd like more, and get the salary jump from 64k ish to hopefully 80-120k range. Endure the long commute, lame management (hopefully my manager will retire, hes 33 years in) the stress of having to wake up at 4:30am M-F. I've already done it 2 years but I'd really dont know if I can continue that early morning wake-up.

Another option would be to move closer to D.C and pay crazy rent but my salary currently wouldn't allow me to rent a studio. I'd have to share space with somebody/stranger
(not really into that at all).

I could also look for jobs with higher salary's at my current company but typically its engineering gigs and politics. Or outside the company which I've been doing
and had one interview 3 weeks ago. Still waiting to hear back but I'm not sure about that job.

So basically I feel 32.00 hr isn't enough money for me to really live like I want to. I'd like to buy a nicer car and save for a house eventually. So I'm stuck.

To chime in...I live in a fairly decent apt complex in PG off 22/hr 40hrs + occasional OT. I'm sure you can do fine at 30+ hourly. Everybody has different standards of living, but I don't have a problem paying bills, buying stuff and still saving some $$$ every month.

Now if you're looking to live downtown dc, yeah that's a different story. The complex a friend of mine work at starts at 1900 for a studio (450 sq feet). So it all depends on where you're trying to live.

To chime in...I live in a fairly decent apt complex in PG off 22/hr 40hrs + occasional OT. I'm sure you can do fine at 30+ hourly. Everybody has different standards of living, but I don't have a problem paying bills, buying stuff and still saving some $$$ every month.

Now if you're looking to live downtown dc, yeah that's a different story. The complex a friend of mine work at starts at 1900 for a studio (450 sq feet). So it all depends on where you're trying to live.
what area you in just out of curiosity? 

Last edited:
Definitely not trying to do anything in SE district 6 or 7, when I lived in DC back in 2000 I lived on Connecticut Ave with my parents, man times have changed..Lol

PG is basically were most of the crime is in MD I'm assuming? Safety is my top priority and I'll pay way more to avoid in random situations. But ya 1900 for a studio is insane, I'd just move back to Seattle with that money and live great minds all the women out here.

My brother is saying goes 1000 is the min in DC and I haven't even found that, people must live with 5-6 people.

Last edited:
Definitely not trying to do anything in SE district 6 or 7...

PG is basically were most of the crime is in MD I'm assuming?

ward 6 is where those expensive *** apartments you are talking about are getting built 
laugh.gif
 gentrification is hitting that entire area FAST...

and I've never had any problems in portions of PG county off the top of the green line (greenbelt, CP, PG plaza, or west hyattsville)...

but anyways just throwing out ideas for reasonably priced areas...

Last edited:
what area you in just out of curiosity? 

Near Fed Ex field. Technically it's Landover I guess.

As far as crime, been here all summer haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. Worst I've seen is a group of kids hop the metro gate, but I've never felt unsafe.

Most of the crime in Maryland is in Baltimore. There are pockets of PG that have crime, but it's by no means rampant and much lower than DC on average.

Last edited:
Definitely not trying to do anything in SE district 6 or 7, when I lived in DC back in 2000 I lived on Connecticut Ave with my parents, man times have changed..Lol

PG is basically were most of the crime is in MD I'm assuming? Safety is my top priority and I'll pay way more to avoid in random situations. But ya 1900 for a studio is insane, I'd just move back to Seattle with that money and live great minds all the women out here.

My brother is saying goes 1000 is the min in DC and I haven't even found that, people must live with 5-6 people.

Do you have any certs or are you just using your degree?

Joined the Jobless Crew on 07/31 when the Auto Parts store I worked for went out of business with no warning. From your guys experience I filed for unemployment and received a letter that I have to go to a mandatory Career Center meeting. Unfortunately it's on the same day as my first day of school. I'm a college student doing 9 credits this semester. Will being in college eff me in the long run in collecting unemployment since I'm technically not "Ready, willing, and able" to take any job. Also can I ride out unemployment while in school? And what am I in store for in the unemployment process? 

works at UPS overnight

just had an interveiw with Shop Rite...
Joined the Jobless Crew on 07/31 when the Auto Parts store I worked for went out of business with no warning. From your guys experience I filed for unemployment and received a letter that I have to go to a mandatory Career Center meeting. Unfortunately it's on the same day as my first day of school. I'm a college student doing 9 credits this semester. Will being in college eff me in the long run in collecting unemployment since I'm technically not "Ready, willing, and able" to take any job. Also can I ride out unemployment while in school? And what am I in store for in the unemployment process? 

shouldnt effect you

all you have to do is log in online and say that you didnt refuse any jobs and your willing to work..

the career meeting does have good info... like not even for now but in general... very good stuff..

youll be good, stay postive

Do you have any certs or are you just using your degree?

Degree and experience right now. Any of you DMV nters can you recommend any safe areas close to DC that are simi affordable, and close to the metro would be legit. I work close to SE right off 295.

Last edited:
Finished up my temp role last week and back on the hunt now.

Is anyone else claiming unemployment benefits while on the job search?

Last edited:
Went to  temp agency and took the proveit test.  Just waiting for a response from them or this administrative position I found on craigslist.

Last edited:
I just graduated with BA and have been looking for full time job for 3 weeks. Its really hard out here... never realized how useless BA in todays society.... Most of these companies are scam companies or underpay me like crazy. Sigh im really getting frustrated but im keeping my head up

I just graduated with BA and have been looking for full time job for 3 weeks. Its really hard out here... never realized how useless BA in todays society.... Most of these companies are scam companies or underpay me like crazy. Sigh im really getting frustrated but im keeping my head up
what industry are you looking to get into? What school did you go to? Major?

Where do you live? What cities are you applying to? Don't give up my man. Keep putting in the work and it will all pan out!

what industry are you looking to get into? What school did you go to? Major?

Where do you live? What cities are you applying to? Don't give up my man. Keep putting in the work and it will all pan out!

For now im looking into anything from Behavior Interventionist to Human Resource/Manager role
I went to University of California, Riverside with Psychology. I live in Orange County now and im just basically looking at any companies within my area.

Do any of yall know anything about Project Launch Inc company? some people say its a scam and some say its not... idk what to believe.

just got an email that I've been picked to interview for this position with usps. the wording of the email seems like a temp position considering it doesn't offer benefits and minimum of 8 hours a week 
mean.gif

not even sure if I want the position anymore, but, I'll go to the interview to see what they talking about.

Back
Top Bottom