Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Required Skills:
•    Bachelor's degree with a focus on communications, journalism, public relations, or related field
•    Background in communications, journalism, public relations, outreach, or related field
•    Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal, and face to-face interactions with colleagues and the public
•    Strong interest and/or knowledge of fisheries management and environmental issues
•    Experience with content management systems (CMS)
•    Familiarity and experience with social media platforms and web analytics software (Google Analytics, Constant Contact, etc.) 
•    Ability to pass government background check 
•    Must be able to lift up to 40lbs

never understood that type of req inclusion.. always is good for a chuckle...

Starting my new job tomorrow! I graduated this past spring with my BS in Mechanical Engineering. Did not have any internships and had a 2.8 GPA so I knew it was going to be an uphill battle to land a full-time job. I've filled out 180 online applications and had 4 interviews from my graduation in May until last week. A recruiter from Aerotek hit me up on LinkedIn and said there was an entry-level temp-to-hire opportunity that might interest me so I went ahead and gave him a call. Set up an interview with the company and got the job this past Friday. I'm on a six month contract and being paid hourly...then if they decide to direct hire me I'll get a pay bump and get put on salary.

However...it is quite a commute with traffic. It's 40 minutes without traffic, and anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half with the morning traffic. They asked me if I was okay with the commute and I explained to them that I would have to do it until I was directly hired on a permanent basis, because I can't just move out there and sign a lease with no job security after the six month contract is up. The GM said that if I am still there after two months than I'm there for good. Either way, I'm just going to go in and bust my ***, get paid, and get some experience even if it doesn't lead to a permanent position.

I also have a question, my girl moved out to California for a year of service for Americorp and she is coming back for the holidays at the end of December. I promised her before she left that I would pick her up from the airport when she came back....is it a bad idea to ask for that day off since I just got the job? Not sure how to handle the situation.

Starting my new job tomorrow! I graduated this past spring with my BS in Mechanical Engineering. Did not have any internships and had a 2.8 GPA so I knew it was going to be an uphill battle to land a full-time job. I've filled out 180 online applications and had 4 interviews from my graduation in May until last week. A recruiter from Aerotek hit me up on LinkedIn and said there was an entry-level temp-to-hire opportunity that might interest me so I went ahead and gave him a call. Set up an interview with the company and got the job this past Friday. I'm on a six month contract and being paid hourly...then if they decide to direct hire me I'll get a pay bump and get put on salary.

However...it is quite a commute with traffic. It's 40 minutes without traffic, and anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half with the morning traffic. They asked me if I was okay with the commute and I explained to them that I would have to do it until I was directly hired on a permanent basis, because I can't just move out there and sign a lease with no job security after the six month contract is up. The GM said that if I am still there after two months than I'm there for good. Either way, I'm just going to go in and bust my ***, get paid, and get some experience even if it doesn't lead to a permanent position.

I also have a question, my girl moved out to California for a year of service for Americorp and she is coming back for the holidays at the end of December. I promised her before she left that I would pick her up from the airport when she came back....is it a bad idea to ask for that day off since I just got the job? Not sure how to handle the situation.
money over yambs she will understand u did 180+ apps she can

YOU NEED TO GET IT IN YOUR BRAIN FOR 6 MONTHS THIS JOB IS EVERYTHING NO DISTRACTIONS

Last edited:

tell her to get a cab and to prepare the yambs for when you come home.

Congrats bro! I'm in almost same position as you. No experience with most of the opportunities an hour+ away, no traffic. About 50 miles. I agree with he previous posters, don't take the day off & do something for her. She'll understand bro. Again, congrats.

Just send a car to get her.

Started my new gig today. Don't have computer access, so they gave me a busy task. Wont get computer access till Wednesday. Learned my 6 years in the military will apply to vacation time. Was told I worked 8hr days w/ a 30 minute lunch, I hate hour lunches. I can come in anywhere from 6am to 9am, I opted to come in at 6 so I can leave a 2:30, SWEEEETTTTT!!!!!!!

http://niketalk.com/t/612106/professional-cuddler-makes-80-an-hour#post_22011231  
nerd.gif
mean.gif

To anyone who applies on USAJOBS, keep in mind the differences between federal and private industry resumes...

This, my federal resume is like 10 pages long and my private industry resume is 2 pages max. I dont have computer access right now, so I cant do my job. So right now Im just shredding old personnel files and some of the resumes are pretty long.

This, my federal resume is like 10 pages long and my private industry resume is 2 pages max. I dont have computer access right now, so I cant do my job. So right now Im just shredding old personnel files and some of the resumes are pretty long.

I apply some jobs over there but no success. Not even an interview...

Man I got passed on for a promotion at my job due to politics. :smh:

Man I don't even wanna be at this place anymore. :smh:

But I've been putting in apps even before I went for that promotion.

Rejected every...single...time. I must've put in 100+ apps throughout the past year.

Sick of this **** man. Just want a chance to do something better than $8.45 an hour at some cruddy job but I'm running out of options. Going back to school ain't an option either.

For you guys that aren't aware, a way to make a decent starting wage (~15+/hr) with career options is to get into construction inspection. So you can take a class or just get a study manual for something like ACI concrete inspection level 1 and pay like $100 bucks to take the test to become certified. The test is easy and the work isnt bad either and a lot of firms will pay you and give benefits for this sort of work and they regularly hire depending on where you're at. It's a great way to stack cash and experience if you're in school or want to go to school because of the nature of the work. It's also one of those careers that will advance as far as you want (sign inspection, bridges, scuba bridge inspection) and it's very possible to live comfortably off of the career (50k+).

Just wanted to put that out there because of the above post and I don't think enough people know about it. Even if it's not your end goal job, it has its benefits and can at least pay the bills and get you other options

Back
Top Bottom