Jordan 12 Black/red returning in Spring, 2025

I'm quite sure 7s dropped around Feb. 1992.

Absolutely correct…

Most people don’t realize that before the IX MJ debuted the new model every year at the All Star Game…Started the new season every year wearing the same model he ended the previous season wearing…

I would imagine we SHOULD get the Taxi’s in 2026 though, but this is Nike so y’all know how that goes…

12s will more than likely get a shape closer to OG in 2026/27 during their 30th.. which reminds me, how do they do the 30th when for example the 7s released towards the end of ‘91 yet they/we only count them as ‘92 hence the Cardinals in 2022? Shouldn’t it be ‘91?

So for 12s they should be 2026, 11s 2025, etc. I always found that a little confusing.

I’d rather these get done right in 2026 (1996 OG Taxi release) and they do the Foams the year after instead of lumping them in together in 2027 cause that’ll definitely be an expensive year
Like the other dudes said, 7s came out Feb 92’. Bordeaux and Hares came out the same day. Playoffs in April, Olympic in July or August, Cardinals in like October.

:lol::lol:Cards were absolutely last. I remember it like yesterday.
What confused me at first was the yellow in the cardinals, I remember someone mentioning a possibility of that being a nod to the championship he won months prior.. wasn’t sure if it was the ‘91 or ‘92 ring. Not even sure that’s legit why there’s yellow but it just stuck with me.

Same with the gold on the Taxis. I still wasn’t even born when the Cardinals came out, I was -1 month old :lol:

The 9 is what changed the release schedule. The 8’s released in Feb 93’ (bugs n aquas), then playoffs in April. The 4th colorway of the 8th, which probably would have been similar to the Alt retros, was canceled and they just went ahead and released the 9’s in November, in the white/black colorway. From that point the new Jordan debuted at the beginning of the season (or about a month into it) instead of the All Star game. I always thought it made more sense that way. New season, new shoe.

The 9 is what changed the release schedule. The 8’s released in Feb 93’ (bugs n aquas), then playoffs in April. The 4th colorway of the 8th, which probably would have been similar to the Alt retros, was canceled and they just went ahead and released the 9’s in November, in the white/black colorway. From that point the new Jordan debuted at the beginning of the season (or about a month into it) instead of the All Star game. I always thought it made more sense that way. New season, new shoe.
Mike was wearing the 9s in practice during the 93 playoffs, so I wonder when the decision was made to cut the 8s short and drop the 9s to start the next season.

Mike was wearing the 9s in practice during the 93 playoffs, so I wonder when the decision was made to cut the 8s short and drop the 9s to start the next season.

It was fairly well known behind the scenes that he was at the very least THINKING of retiring after the 92-93 season…The Nike brass assumed that a retired athlete wouldn’t have the same selling power as an active one…They even told Tinker that the Jordan line was ending after the 9’s since they thought it wouldn’t be sustainable…He pitched the 10’s as a celebratory shoe to MJ’s career which they bought in on and allowed him to continue working on but that would absolutely be the last pair of Jordan’s…He began work on the 11’s without any approval to do so actually…He also talked them into that first retro run thinking that they’d be a big hit and would show Nike that “Jordan” was still sustainable in retirement…It’s funny because the poor sales of those retro models kind of validated the position of the Nike execs at the time…

Nike rushed the 9’s out so they could get them to market while Mike was still fresh in the minds of the public…The rumors of the pending, and eventually confirmed, retirement simply forced their hand in their eyes…The shoe was essentially finished and they didn’t want to eat all the R&D and design costs…As the new approach developed they adopted the idea of running the 9’s and 10’s on various Nike athletes in the league to kind help with with promotion of the model…

MJ returned and the rest is history…

Do we have proof of this?
Yeah, there’s pics of him jogging in practice gear.

I’ll find it…

Edit:

1712960533535.jpeg

Wow I’m surprised he finished in the 8s and didn’t pull a last shot 14 move and bust those out for the chip

Wonder if that would’ve changed the trajectory of the 9s
It absolutely would have. He only wore the 14s 3 times, and the entire model became relevant.

He also wore the 13s in practice during the 97 finals, and white/red 14s in practice during the 98 finals.

Back
Top Bottom