Jordan Brand, the sought after sneaker & "the Game"

[h6]
[/h6][h6][/h6]
it's a long read I know, but I'm really only interested in the responses of the people who'll actually read it. soo yea...
[h6]                But how are these Concords goin for 400+ on the bay when the 2000 retros brand new only went for around 350. this younger generation of kids are ruining this hobby. i guess that's just what happens? 7 people across the nation got murdered?! Bigger profits than drug dealing. Supply and Demand. 1,000s of what are the majority juvenile delinquents reselling/"stuntin" because of the image certain artists have created mixed with some actual Jordan fans/sneaker enthusiasts/parents and their kids showing up at one place which has about 100 pairs in their stock room. Supply and Demand Jordan Brand. [/h6][h6]                You've got to supply different outlets of executing your sales for your different demographics. The online releases for those of us who have an education/access to technology/e-commerce aren't enough. And the problem with those Chinese Manufacturers over producing your products mixed with some cheaper materials and selling them to the US months in advance is a whole other issue. That's right if you've gotten you're pair months, weeks, days in advance chances are that unless you had a connect you know personally and trust it's most likely you have one of these "grey market" unauthorized, really authentic looking Frankenstein pairs.
[/h6][h6]                The other problem, the one with putting out "legal drugs" for the lowest class demographic is like committing crime, supporting the continuance of black on black crime, murder, putting everyone in almost every participating retail location in danger. What kind of a fan/middle class American does it take to camp outside with those people for days putting their own life in danger just to get one of your products?
[/h6][h6]                Your product has a different image/value/worth to different customers in different demographics WORLDWIDE. Step your game up and FIX what you have created within the past few years. You got trigger happy dropping release dates and sneakers in high demand so rapidly rather than sparingly like you used to back in the day. It's really a mess. You're also ruining my hobby. I want to know why they put a cap on their supply when the hype they create is so strong. We all know they're a business and they just want to make money. they obviously maximize their profits like 100/365 days of the year but the means a consumers got to go through to get one of their products, the danger, and frustration, the reselling, and the price hikes and lesser quality on top of those things. All things that Jordan Brand & the celebrity image has created. I guess that's just what they do to middle and lower America though. That's just how its "supposed to be." Makes me feel like the only way I can succeed is by being a corrupt douche bag only interested in image and making money.
[/h6][h6]Just thought I'd share what I've learned from my experiences with my other enthusiasts because this is actually our hobby.[/h6]

im done with "the game" ....there is a time where u take a toll on your body and energy.

NEVER AGAIN.

RIP to those people who should have gotten their pair and celebrated christmas and instead their family is mourning them on these holiday spirits over some damn shoes.

^^^ Agreed with both of you guys ... I am unaware of all the stories, but people passed?  RIP for sure .... I happened to be at the midnight release @ footaction on 34th Street and @@%$ was nothing less than pure chaos.  NEVER again!  I can promise you that.

i dont understand the business sense of JB when  they flood the market with trash that'll sit on the shelves-even at outlet prices; and yet when they have a product that will make big money, they dont make enough to go around. are they trying to hurt the shoe stores bottom-lines by making them buy stuff that'll never sell, just so they can get a limited number of products that will sell out?

as for the "sneaker culture", it seems to me that Jordans use to be reserved footwear for those that were d-boys, riders, and small kids. but now you have any and everybody wearing J's when back in the day they wouldnt have been able to wear them out of the house-or be jacked. im not saying whats right or wrong; im just stating how much times have changed.

on another note, i know that this same type of convo was brought up when the DMP's dropped in limited quanity; i.e. Jordan doesnt give two $**t$ about his customers safety and/or concerns.regardless of how bad the last release was, you'll always have just as many people lining up for the next one.

man its a new era of hypebeast ruining it (srs)
you got the sheeps that want everything thats "in" and then the dudes that think they cool on tumblr or w.e lurking NT ISS etc
i know a lot of dudes in HS few years ago wore vans and chucks religiously now jordans became "in" and everybody tryna get em
30t6p3b.gif

def not saying im an OG sneakerhead but i been around for a while (not this account)
laugh.gif
anyways ill be sticking to online releases
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by MJ23Forever

[h6]                But how are these Concords goin for 400+ on the bay when the 2000 retros brand new only went for around 350. this younger generation of kids are ruining this hobby. i guess that's just what happens? 7 people across the nation got murdered?! Bigger profits than drug dealing. Supply and Demand. 1,000s of what are the majority juvenile delinquents reselling/"stuntin" because of the image certain artists have created mixed with some actual Jordan fans/sneaker enthusiasts/parents and their kids showing up at one place which has about 100 pairs in their stock room. Supply and Demand Jordan Brand. [/h6][h6]                              The other problem, the one with putting out "legal drugs" for the lowest class demographic is like committing crime, supporting the continuance of black on black crime, murder, putting everyone in almost every participating retail location in danger. What kind of a fan/middle class American does it take to camp outside with those people for days putting their own life in danger just to get one of your products?
[/h6][h6]                Your product has a different image/value/worth to different customers in different demographics WORLDWIDE. Step your game up and FIX what you have created within the past few years. You got trigger happy dropping release dates and sneakers in high demand so rapidly rather than sparingly like you used to back in the day. It's really a mess. You're also ruining my hobby. I want to know why they put a cap on their supply when the hype they create is so strong. We all know they're a business and they just want to make money. they obviously maximize their profits like 100/365 days of the year but the means a consumers got to go through to get one of their products, the danger, and frustration, the reselling, and the price hikes and lesser quality on top of those things. All things that Jordan Brand & the celebrity image has created. I guess that's just what they do to middle and lower America though. That's just how its "supposed to be." Makes me feel like the only way I can succeed is by being a corrupt douche bag only interested in image and making money. [/h6]
-never did understand newer releases going for more than the older better quality releases...
-People murdered? again? it's not even about the sneakers....
-What's this legal drug talk? This is sneakers we're talking about. You're not going to go through withdrawals if you don't get a pair of shoes
nerd.gif
. Don't throw blame on the company when it's the people who choose to act like idiots for their product. Yes, they do try to produce desire for their merchandise, as does any business that wants to make money, but we (the consumer) created and continue to adhere to the hype. We dictate the market value, which I'm sure is why most of the people who resort to violence do so. JB responsible for black on black crime? Come on...people need to take responsibility for their own actions. It's not the product or even how the product is sold, it's the people.   
-I do agree that JB is at least partly responsible for ruining this hobby though. I personally consider the line a joke now, more or less.   

smh @ dying at shoe releases ... there have always been robberies ... but this is od ...

only waited in line for kicks 1x ... DMPs ... it was crazy ... glad i'm out "the game" ...

MJ23Forever wrote:[h6]                The other problem, the one with putting out "legal drugs" for the lowest class demographic is like committing crime, supporting the continuance of black on black crime, murder, putting everyone in almost every participating retail location in danger. What kind of a fan/middle class American does it take to camp outside with those people for days putting their own life in danger just to get one of your products?[/h6]
Things are a mess and worse than ever for reasons everyone already knows, but as for this paragraph - what are your suggestions?  People always have the right to complain but please post a suggestion that would improve the situation instead of just pointing out flaws.  What's JB going to do?  Only reason them online?  That will screw every Mom & Pop store in the naiton.  It's not up to JB to make sure mall/in-store security is up to par.  

I recently saw a few news stories related to people buying Jordan XI concords. Many thoughts came to me after reading this one: "Air Jordan fans destroy property, trample shoppers in search of new shoes."

The story reads, " Michael Jordan fans and a whole lot of utter and absolute morons descended upon malls across America early Friday morning to push each other over and destroy property in order to buy some basketball shoes."

I refuse to share the same category as "a whole lot of utter and absolute morons."

A true Air Jordan fan should refuse to be a slave to consumerism, refuse to be a money hungry reseller, refuse to physically hurt another human being for sneakers. A true Air Jordan fan shares the passion for the game of basketball, shares the good childhood memories & stories of sneakers and is humble & kind to fellow Air Jordan fans.

Please note that all the Nike/Jordan Brand commercials/marketing campaign/so called "hype" are only suggestions for people to buy the shoes. Those "whole lot of utter and absolute morons" made their own decisions to be that way.

As for Michael Jordan, all he did was play a beautiful game of basketball, was a great competitor in sports, does right by his family and left a legacy that inspires people to be great in their own lives. You can envy him all you want, but don't blame him for the things that those "whole lot of utter and absolute morons" did.

Lastly, I would like to wish you all have a safe and happy holidays!

- Davyc3

I don't understand what the point was in even putting the concords up on websites.  Every one of them were advertising the shoe on the front page, yet at midnight, every site crashed.  Did they seriously have no idea that would happen?  Was JB actually going after the collector with this release making them limited?  What about the people that just liked the looks and wanted to wear the shoe?

What I fail to understand is what Nike/Jordan GAINS from super-limited releases. If more people are willing to buy than there are pairs produced, why not make more pairs? More $$ for Nike, and more people happy. Why would Nike give half a crap about the "resale market" or "hype"? That doesn't put any money in their pockets.

Stupid. RIP to those who passed away, that's depressing.

I really feel you. Last night was disgusting. On Eastbay and NDC I had the shoes in cart and didn't make it through checkout. Then on another UK site, I really had them in cart. Only to have someone else buy them while they were in my cart. Within a minute all the sizes were gone. Got up this morning and go to the mall at 5 am. There were groups of friends on their phones trying to buy multiple pairs for their friends to resell. I waited in line for 2 hours and when Champs opened everything seemed cool. The line was moving and there were so many people behind me in line I was sure they had enough pairs for someone so close to the front. By the time I got 5 people away from getting in the store the guy says all they have is size 8 and 14. That means Champs at Lloyd center probably got about 30-40 pairs. The employees were lying.
I saw a guy in the back of the store carry 3 or 4 Jordan boxes to the back room after the last two customers left the store. People with multiple pairs were cutting in line to just "stand" next to their people. When they got up to the gate they were asking to get into the store with bags of shoes already in hand. It was absurd. I'm really sorry to hear about the people who died over this. The whole game has been ruined though. One guy walked by the line in front of Champs and said, "700 dollars....700." I'm just happy for the guy behind me who got the size 14 because he was telling me the whole time about how he hopes they have his size because it's so uncommon.

I will never go to another release like this again. You have to break into a mall to get an advantage or run to the door and race people to get in line. Then most of the people there don't even plan on wearing the shoes. I don't get this. These aren't high quality shoes anymore. These shoes are coming out every other year at a higher price with worse quality and some people want to save these. There is just so much wrong with what I saw today and I know I'm ranting. I'll just stick to looking for deals in the buy/sell lounge on NT.

I wonder if JB actually cares about the collector market? Do they make them limited to hold collector value? I really believe if they made more colorways and made them a common release they'd still sell pretty well to the masses. (but not at $180) It is one unique shoe that does grab a lot of attention when you see them. I just really don't get the point.

Originally Posted by DA1 4 Life

I really feel you. Last night was disgusting. On Eastbay and NDC I had the shoes in cart and didn't make it through checkout. Then on another UK site, I really had them in cart. Only to have someone else buy them while they were in my cart. Within a minute all the sizes were gone. Got up this morning and go to the mall at 5 am. There were groups of friends on their phones trying to buy multiple pairs for their friends to resell. I waited in line for 2 hours and when Champs opened everything seemed cool. The line was moving and there were so many people behind me in line I was sure they had enough pairs for someone so close to the front. By the time I got 5 people away from getting in the store the guy says all they have is size 8 and 14. That means Champs at Lloyd center probably got about 30-40 pairs. The employees were lying.
I saw a guy in the back of the store carry 3 or 4 Jordan boxes to the back room after the last two customers left the store. People with multiple pairs were cutting in line to just "stand" next to their people. When they got up to the gate they were asking to get into the store with bags of shoes already in hand. It was absurd. I'm really sorry to hear about the people who died over this. The whole game has been ruined though. One guy walked by the line in front of Champs and said, "700 dollars....700." I'm just happy for the guy behind me who got the size 14 because he was telling me the whole time about how he hopes they have his size because it's so uncommon.

I will never go to another release like this again. You have to break into a mall to get an advantage or run to the door and race people to get in line. Then most of the people there don't even plan on wearing the shoes. I don't get this. These aren't high quality shoes anymore. These shoes are coming out every other year at a higher price with worse quality and some people want to save these. There is just so much wrong with what I saw today and I know I'm ranting. I'll just stick to looking for deals in the buy/sell lounge on NT.
i have to agree with pretty much everything here.  nike just might as well cut out the middle man and adjust the msrp to $225 minimum.  it might cut down some of the idiocy.  look at the national headline stories from last night, most every comment from someone who was able to buy was about how much they can resell for online.  the demand for these sneakers isnt nearly as high as it appears, its mostly artificially driven.  i only purchase one pair of anything, and i wear every pair.  lineups for air jordans now look like the soup kitchen line, or welfare office.  i wont buy anything from a reseller unless it gets within ten bucks of retail+tax+shipping, just on principle.  wish everyone would....

I agree with the majority of comments here. I think the problem does root from a different generation of fans who view and use products (in this case Jordan shoes) as a social status. It is considered "baller" and gives you a certain status to attain such popular retail products and because of this mentality it gives sneaker heads all over a bad rep.
For example : http://www.youtube.com/wa...r_embedded&v=jYs4tjuIAlw

This is not what sneaker culture is about, and definitely not my perspective on Jordan as a player/brand/icon. I grew up watching MJ in the 90s and the sneakers give a sense of history with a product by arguably the greatest athlete ever. It takes you back to the iconic moments in basketball history, and the accomplishments made in the sneakers we cherish, and any true fan can appreciate that.
Too many people get caught up in the hype and fail to realize the significance behind the product, such as these are the sneakers MJ wore in the season the Bulls set the best record in NBA history.

Of course there will ALWAYS be resellers that look to take advantage and make a quick buck in any industry, so I don't necessarily blame that. It does suck when real fans miss out due to this but if you have been in the sneaker game for a while I dont think the majority of us camp out for days to buy sneakers anymore. The younger generation has ruined that and all the fighting/robberies/murders that occur because of the 'hype' of a sneaker is truly disgusting and I PRAY JB take a serious look at this issue because no man's life, getting arrested, and causing physical harm to another human is worth a pair of shoes you wear on your feet. This starts with the limited amount of product that has such a high demand. OF COURSE your going to have riots when 100 people are camped out for days to find out that there are only 30 pairs. Hopefully a brand as profitable as JB can take a humane approach to solving some of these other "bigger" issues at hand.

Just my 2cents/perspective on some of the issues raised by this weekends release.

RD here in the PI wasn't really that bad... well there was a little bit of chaos on the Nike flagship store that, but none of the violent variety... the only other shop that released the Concords made sure that it was well organized... and it was... they even had an event put up around the area to make sure that all was just fun and safe... shout out to Titan22 for the well thought of event!

the violence on RDs need to stop...

Dear Nike/Jordan:

If you really intend on making future "limited releases" please take into consideration the last disaster for these Concords.  Any product created with prior knowledge of the violence correlated with it's release, should be sanctioned in some form of way.  Not only that, but if you need for them to be limited because of hype, than why not host more charity ebay style auctions, for collectors that might not mind paying for a good cause, rather than to a re-seller.

Thanks!

everything i wanted in kicks i have or gotten. I will never be "done" but so to speak i am finished "collecting" now i just buy retroes that end up in outlets. so long as I have my sneaker history I'm good. peace 

Originally Posted by MJ23Forever

[h6]
[/h6][h6][/h6]
But how are these Concords goin for 400+ on the bay when the 2000 retros brand new only went for around 350. 
I know this might be getting off topic of what op is trying to express but I was under the impression that the higher prices for the 2011 is because of the fresh, icy soles that aren't yellowed.  That's why I would pay more in the secondary market for this retro rather than the first retro. Yes or no?
But I agree absolutely with op.  I'm a 20 year old sneakerhead that's been in the game since 13 and I'm already worn out. Waited overnight for the Weatherman's and Concords and it seemed everyone to my left and right were all younger than me and talking about exactly how they were gonna flip them and what not. 

Originally Posted by bigboi6

I agree with the majority of comments here. I think the problem does root from a different generation of fans who view and use products (in this case Jordan shoes) as a social status. It is considered "baller" and gives you a certain status to attain such popular retail products and because of this mentality it gives sneaker heads all over a bad rep.
For example : http://www.youtube.com/wa...r_embedded&v=jYs4tjuIAlw

This is not what sneaker culture is about, and definitely not my perspective on Jordan as a player/brand/icon. I grew up watching MJ in the 90s and the sneakers give a sense of history with a product by arguably the greatest athlete ever. It takes you back to the iconic moments in basketball history, and the accomplishments made in the sneakers we cherish, and any true fan can appreciate that.
Too many people get caught up in the hype and fail to realize the significance behind the product, such as these are the sneakers MJ wore in the season the Bulls set the best record in NBA history.

Of course there will ALWAYS be resellers that look to take advantage and make a quick buck in any industry, so I don't necessarily blame that. It does suck when real fans miss out due to this but if you have been in the sneaker game for a while I dont think the majority of us camp out for days to buy sneakers anymore. The younger generation has ruined that and all the fighting/robberies/murders that occur because of the 'hype' of a sneaker is truly disgusting and I PRAY JB take a serious look at this issue because no man's life, getting arrested, and causing physical harm to another human is worth a pair of shoes you wear on your feet. This starts with the limited amount of product that has such a high demand. OF COURSE your going to have riots when 100 people are camped out for days to find out that there are only 30 pairs. Hopefully a brand as profitable as JB can take a humane approach to solving some of these other "bigger" issues at hand.

Just my 2cents/perspective on some of the issues raised by this weekends release.
"What if yo child get ammonia" LOL
roll.gif
can't believe she said that on national tv. SMH

Back
Top Bottom