Jordan Brand's Larry Miller's insider look at the company's struggles and strategy

Jordan Brand President Larry Miller reiterated several problems facing the brand that industry experts have raised recently.

At a #StumptownTalks event Wednesday night, Miller gave a broad overview of his career, from his first job selling Jet Magazine door-to-door to starting the Jordan Brand and running the Trail Blazers. But it was his comments about the current state of Jordan that will likely most entice sneakerheads.

The brand's biggest problems at the moment, according to Miller: maintaining its relevance and pulling back the number of shoes on the market.

“We have to figure out how to keep the brand connected to young consumers as well as consumers that have been with the brand for a while,” Miller said. “That is the biggest issue that we have – is how do we continue to make the brand relevant with today’s consumers. The further Michael gets from the basketball court, the more challenging it is.”

Miller has been president of Jordan since its inception in 1997, as Michael Jordan was preparing to retire, from the Chicago Bulls, for the second time. He took a brief hiatus from running Jordan to work as president of the Trail Blazers from 2007 to 2012 before returning to the brand he’d helped develop into a company worth more than $1 billion.

With Jordan retiring for good early last decade, the brand is grappling with selling to consumers who have never seen him play. This year, analyst firm the NPD Group reported that the Jordan Brand lost its No. 2 spot to Adidas in terms of footwear market share.

Miller said while the movie "Space Jam" helps with brand recognition, the brand is also working to connect more with consumers online as part of Nike’s larger turnaround strategy. At the company's Investor Day last month, Nike executives said the company would aim to convert casual customers to “members” of its apps or websites. Miller said an exclusive Jordan membership program is in the works, with features similar to other Nike membership programs like on-demand customer service and member-only product releases

Jordan is also working to better serve female customers, another growth area identified by Nike at Investor Day and an area where industry analysts say most brands fall short.

“Frankly, all of the brands have talked for years about making inroads into servicing the women’s business and they continue to fail, which has allowed brands like Lululemon to come in and steal market share,” NPD’s Matt Powell told the Business Journal.

Miller said Jordan is working on a “women’s-only” model of the Air Jordan, that will only be made up to women’s size 12 (a men’s 10.5).

“Over the years we’ve got a lot of girls and women who love our brand and we’ve shown them no love in return,” Miller said. “Now we have realized that we’ve got to really focus on doing products specifically for girls and women and we’ve got some really cool stuff coming out. We’ve got a shoe coming that I’m sure a lot of guys are going to want but it doesn’t go up to their size.”

Related to this demand-creation, too, is the speed at which Jordan can design and put new models to market. Current industry wisdom suggests that given today’s fast-moving consumer, the longer the lag time between when a shoe is designed and when it hits the shelf, the less likely it is to be on-trend. This has driven all of the brands, including Nike, into a race to speed up production times.
But Miller said creating the annual Air Jordan – and most other shoes – still takes the traditional 18 months.

“The main cycle for making a new shoe takes about a year and a half, actually,” Miller said. “So right now, we’re in the process of finalizing the (Air Jordan) 33, which doesn’t come out until October of next year. We work pretty well in advance when it comes to designing shoes, and it’s pretty much that way with all of the shoes.”

Miller also acknowledged that the Jordan Brand has lost its exclusivity, and it’s hoping to get it back.

Industry analysts have long criticized the flood of Nike shoes in the U.S. retail market. The “stack them high and let them fly” credo no longer applies to athletic footwear, they contend.

Instead, the limited release model – customers used to sleep overnight in front of their local sneaker stores, fueling massive, but now-dying, after-market sales – will still drive business.

Those after-market sales, Miller said, used to help the brand gauge whether a shoe was hot. Models that sold out on day one and went for several thousand dollars over retail price that night on eBay were deemed successful, for instance

But now that the market has been over-saturated, that after-market is “not as robust as it was maybe a year ago,” Miller said.

“Once of the issues we’re dealing with right now is we’ve put a few too many shoes to market,” Miller said. “We’re actually in the process of making sure that we get back to that market where it’s a pull market, where people are looking for product and there’s scarcity because that’s how we built our brand.”

The Miller program drew a record attendance for the #StumptownTalks event. The free program, developed by Lincoln High grad Michael Ioffe, features Portland business community leaders as speakers.

https://www.bizjournals.com/portlan...jordan-brands-larry-millers-insider-look.html

Last edited:
“Once of the issues we’re dealing with right now is we’ve put a few too many shoes to market,” Miller said. “We’re actually in the process of making sure that we get back to that market where it’s a pull market, where people are looking for product and there’s scarcity because that’s how we built our brand.”

I think limiting the number of releases is better than a ton of releases with scarce numbers. But seems that is the way they are going.

Great read, but it appears they’re looking to take 6 steps back instead of moving forward. They had a members only webpage for Jordan years ago (Jumpman23.com/Air Jordan Flight Club)? That’s how the Thunder & lightning pack, lasers & Eminems were only able to be purchased? And back in the early 2000’s they had women exclusives that went up to a size 12 (mens 10.5) Violet 10’s, Ice green 10’s, Carolina (Melo) 12’s and so many other kicks.

Last edited:
Great read, but it appears they’re looking to take 6 steps back instead of moving forward. They had a members only webpage for Jordan years ago (Jumpman23.com/Air Jordan Flight Club)? That’s how the Thunder & lightning pack, lasers & Eminems were only able to be purchased? And back in the early 2000’s they had women exclusives that went up to a size 12 (mens 10.5) Violet 10’s, Ice green 10’s, Carolina (Melo) 12’s and so many other kicks.

We ollllllllld!

Harbor 3 still top 2 3s ever for me.

They gonna piss off the old folks for the sake of children but these kids only want limited, expensive stuff.

Nike+ dont really look out .
I dont forsee Brand J apps looking out either.

Limited means resellers will once again manipulate the supply. Not that they ever stopped , it just hasnt been difficult to get any gr or limited gr's for the past couple yrs, in terms of Retro Js that is.

They aint ever been loyal us, so this is typical.

I understand its a business, but itd be nice to have a business that many of us have supported for yrs, to show some sort of appreciation for their long term consumers via a loyalty program or something.

Last edited:
still tryna understand why people say a DIVISION
of nike
regardless it being its own brand
its still a division of nike
how is it struggling

They have to figure out how to stay connected with the people thats been with the brand for a while?? Really?
The easiest job ever turning in to something impossible because one wants to make 500% profit every release.
And now here we are, 2017, and the legacy has gone from fort knox status to rock bottom in barely 20 years..at
Least in the eyes of the hardcore fanbase. We all understand, its a business, its about makin money. .
But there are different ways of doing so. Longevity vs hype. Its time to choose JB , either continue this destructive
Journey and forget all about history/heritage ..just focus on the new generation, or get serious about your retro catalog (both kicks and gear) , at least if you want to keep the fanbase who grew up watching him play. You can still throw out cheap new
Flyweave junk on the side. .but it would be unwise to completely dump the type of product that took you to the top.

Hope y`all enjoyed this year while it lasted. Easy cops for nearly all shoes, and if you had to pay resale, it was still pretty cheap.

I can understand cutting back on some of these hideous retro + colorways that ended up rotting on shelves. I get that.

Absolutely no excuse to limit a classic that they know everyone will want. That's what pisses me off.

Congratulations, hypebeast. It looks like you've won.

Jordan should've raised prices to luxury brand levels to control supply, BUT ALSO increase quality levels of da aforementioned so people would feel like they're getting what da MSRP's worth.

mfers been screaming this on NT for a MINUTE b. I don’t give a damn about price point just give me high quality extremely accurate retros.

Those women's shoes went up to a 14 men's 12.5

Having bought so many retros in the late 90's/early 2000's it's clear they're capable of good quality. Now there's no reason for me to pay $200+ for an uncomfortable shoe with shiny plastic leather, no matter how much I like the model. That's why I stopped buying. I felt like they cared back then, then it became too obvious it was more about higher production with cheap material.

I think most of us would agree that the best way forward for the consumer would be to limit the amount of releases but have the numbers for each release in abundance. Whatever they do, I hope they keep the xi easily attainable.

Last edited:
mfers been screaming this on NT for a MINUTE b. I don’t give a damn about price point just give me high quality extremely accurate retros.

when JB gives ya quality ya don't care about it, look at da Motorsport IV's....plush *** leather, but because they weren't limited da beast zzzzzz

deading all that random jumpman+ models in wack colors would certainly raise da prestige a few notches.

when JB gives ya quality ya don't care about it, look at da Motorsport IV's....plush *** leather, but because they weren't limited da beast zzzzzz

deading all that random jumpman+ models in wack colors would certainly raise da prestige a few notches.
Yeah they make some great retro+ models
Then dilute it with the trash ones :smh:
Them citrus 7’s are one of the best

The biggest problem with JB IMO, we cannot keep up with the brand anymore. Look on how many drops they have in a year? Way too many. From 2000 to 2011, there would be no more than two drops a month (especially from 2000-2007 when it was more like a single drop). Now, we get 2 or more drops per week. As a result, we passed on more drops that we would normally buy. During the 2000-2007 run, I brought pretty much everything I wanted. Now, I still keep buying, but I do miss countless releases I like because it would really break my wallet.

A big thing that is worth mentioning about JB is their price increasing exponentially. Now it cost me $190 or $220 depending if OG branding or AJ11 model (not including tax) compared to $100 to $150 we were paying at the time.

I enjoyed getting shoes with ease, not the camping out nonsense. Since JB wants to cater to the reseller as it seems, I would go back to getting shoes I missed out in the last few years.

How are they gonna make up for the lost revenue when they limit the retros next year? Nike will be pushing for constant revenue growth year after year. Are they gonna try to sell more team Jordan’s? Or what?

How are they gonna make up for the lost revenue when they limit the retros next year? Nike will be pushing for constant revenue growth year after year. Are they gonna try to sell more team Jordan’s? Or what?

I have a feeling they "limit" supply on RD, then every couple months restocks year round...

Back
Top Bottom