Jordan heads, I need your opinions for an A+.

Nostalgia for sure. I had to have everything with MJ's face on it. From cereal boxes, to sleeping bags, and the shoes. I was lucky enough to have parents that could afford this stuff. I even picked Jordan for my confirmation name. lol

age 34

Age 30 tomorrow (11-11-11)

I grew up watching MJ actually play in all these shoes so there is a DEFINITE nostaligic aspect it - especially for original color retros from the Bulls era.

But the retro sales are heavily driven by people way younger than myself. Back in the 80's and 90's -if you had on the newest Jordans, you had automatic fashion sense. They were the hottest shoes in the world. Plus they werent cheap - many kids has to have their parents for them, and not everyone could afford them.

The children from the Original era are now adults, which creates a cross-section of people who are knowledgeable of the product with the financial ability to obtain it.

And, the current youth are driving sales because retro Jordans are now what the originals were - the latest, hottest shoe.

same 2 reasons as our other fam here... 

One is the nostalgia factor... growin' up and watching MJ in his prime... awesome experience. Wearing J's for me is like being transported back in time... back to the days when everything was all fun.

Second, well the fact that I wasn't able to have a single pair of J's when I was young. So promised myself to get some once I can buy them on my own. And cop I did... goodluck on the paper fam...

age 29
i buy because i love shoes, they remind me of a simpler time and they look great for casual fashion too, and also because i couldnt afford them until about 5 years ago

I bought original Jordans because MJ was the best player and I played basketball a lot. I have notice the further time goes the less I buy and the more loafers and such is what I buy. I guess it is because of quality and lack of creativity because most shoes that come out are terrible colorways or I've owned them multiple times already.

So much history in here. My hypothesis is turning out to be true
smile.gif
All of your responses are helping me gather accurate data on this, which will make it so much easier when I have to present it to the skeptics. Thank you guys so much, and keep it rolling!

im with everyone else, today's prices are a business aspect that Jordan knows will still bring people back time and time again. Alot memories attached to some shoes, and being a life-long TARHEEL fan, it was easy to follow him and whatever shoe came out next! good luck bro on your grade!

I started wearing Air Jordans in high school (1985) and owned most of the numbered models through the AJ XVI.  I worked for NIKE Basketball retail, sports marketing, and research and development.  At one point I owned (and played in) about 150 pairs of player exclusives and promotional make-ups.  That being said, I haven't purchased a current Jordan Brand shoe in almost a decade.  The Wade and Melo lines are awful, the hybrids are garbage, and everything else is a cheap imitation of a once powerful brand.  NIKE Basketball is killing Brand Jordan in both form and function. 

I buy them too hoop in i know i wasnt old enough to see what mj but when i watch his highlights it just makes me feel like i can do all he did and wearing his shoes gives me the power too do what he did even though i know it wont

Nostalgia. Always saw the "big" kids wearing these sneakers that were amazing yet untouchable to me. I was also a huge MJ fan growing up, so that played into it. For instance, even if a Lebron or Kobe design appealed to me I would never buy because I'm not fan of either of them.

Age 27 been wearing Jordan since I was like 8 or 9. I still buy Jordan's because they were something I cherished when I was younger and still do today.

I am tryin to complete my collection. But the second i get a new pair of retro's i'm already on the hunt for my next pair. It's an addiction. I'm 22

Part nostalgia.... Part love of shoe... Part most J's are timeless in design, they just don't make shoes that look as good as these some 20+ years later

I love sneakers and Jordans are some of the best looking shoes out there. Plus I'm a fan of basketball and have watched highlights of Jordan's playing days which has made me appreciate his game and his shoes.

Nostalgia.. MJ fan.. never had a pair when I was a kid... my parents can't afford it back then so I end up just lookin on other kids rockin J's.

age 29

i was privileged to see jordan play live, both as a bull and a wizard. the way he played and his competitiveness was unmatched and uncanny.

im officially retiring the shoe game by the end of the year, because i have collected jordans since i was 17. so now it's time for me to move on to the next phase of my life.
smile.gif

I always thought the JB forum was mostly teenagers -pleasantly surprised to see dudes in their 20s and 30s, even 40s.

For me it was nostalgia and nostalgia alone.
Exclusivity doesn't concern me one bit, in fact it actually annoys me. I hate all this limited nonsense. However the quality and aesthetics of the shoes has decreased so much over the past two years that the brand is now dead to me, I have retired from Jordans completely and although I still love and wear the ones I already own, I'll never buy a pair of new release Jordans again.
I'd rather go without than settle for sub-standard shoes just so I can say I have the latest pair.

Age 34

I would like to thank those who participated in this thread to the fullest. Got an A+ as expected as you guys helped confirm my hypothesis. By using a virtual community, my prof determined that the results I received were as accurate as one could get given Niketalk's microculture, and the insight provided through your responses helped me differentiate through age cohorts. Nostalgia was the main reason respondents purchased retro Jordans.
smile.gif
Thank you Niketalk

Nostalgia, definitely. When I was young I couldn't get Jordans like I can now. I loved them all, the design, which was ahead of its time even then, and also MJ, the player that made the shoe great. Only Jordan could create such a shoe culture, I don't think any other athlete will have the opportunity to do what Jordan has done with his shoe brand. Think of the demand now in his life... Now imagine what it will be like in the future when he's gone. So to answer it's a combination of Michael the legend and what he did wearing those shoes, the story behind them and then it's the shoe itself, the design and the statement it makes...

Nostalgia, definitely. When I was young I couldn't get Jordans like I can now. I loved them all, the design, which was ahead of its time even then, and also MJ, the player that made the shoe great. Only Jordan could create such a shoe culture, I don't think any other athlete will have the opportunity to do what Jordan has done with his shoe brand. Think of the demand now in his life... Now imagine what it will be like in the future when he's gone. So to answer it's a combination of Michael the legend and what he did wearing those shoes, the story behind them and then it's the shoe itself, the design and the statement it makes...

I buy jordans because I always had a love for shoes since I was young, but I was also told not to buy them because of the price. Now that I have my own money, nothing's stopping me. Being a basketball fan was also a factor. If I saw some dude wearing some custom made J's I would usually flip. I'm not too picky when it comes to retros, but it's just whatever looks good to me. If I had a choice between an OG and a retro, I'd go for the retro because I don't have to fear of it crumbling as I walk.

Part of it is the association with the man Jordan himself; the GOAT. Another part is the factor of exclusivity and status; you have to put in some effort (and a lot of money) to build your collection. However, the most important reason why I collect is the love of sneaker design, and Tinker's masterpieces are the ultimate objects of possession in sneaker collecting. I have loved shoes since I was a kid, but there's definitely something special about Jordans that no SB Dunk colorway can outdo.

Every sneaker collector isn't a real collector without owning ones. As of today, I have three ('11 TB IIIs, '07 Pea Pods VIIIs, and '11 Concord XIs) Js that are somewhat part of my swagger. Not only I buy them for fashion, I also buy them mainly because of its heritage which is timeless. Imagine drawing your dream sneakers, composing of materials any materials had never used, then suddenly you thought "Too impossible"; Tinker Hatfield made every person's dream shoe in Air Jordan. Patent leather, nubuck, multi-lacing system, you name it. The way he executed those elements turned out to be very well.

Mike made it fly, while Tinker made it aesthetically better than ever. That's for sure. AJ all day.

Nostalgia and Love of the shoes. I couldn't afford to buy them when i was in JHS and HS so once the retro's of  99's started dropping I was hooked all over again and never looked back. As far as buying them today its more so cause i can't wear the first retros that dropped due to the shoe falling apart. Yes quality is trash now and i do miss the nike air but it reminds me of younger days.

Age 32

Back
Top Bottom