Jordan IV Military Blue - May 4, 2024

I don’t even care about industrial military’s anymore, I cant get over the Jim jones thing 🤣

It aint even that deep. Jim Jones just a household name in my book, forget sneakers and all that.

Naaah ya'll giving Jim waaaay too much credit. :lol:

If someone doesn't listen to Hip Hop I can absolutely see how they have no clue who he is. They prob think u talking about Jonestown Jim.

Jim is not some A-list rapper in society. Respectfully. :lol:

To be clear, I think the systematic and constant erasure of the significant contribution of Black people on America - and even global - culture is terrible for a number of reasons.

Ask an average Eastern European who made the first “Techno” songs…

My only point is that it’s senseless to get up tight about kids liking shoes but not knowing who any particular rapper is.

Because kids have liked shoes for forever.

Nah.. he said the point he was trying to make was that things don’t exist in a vacuum until they do. He supported that in that post. IDK who said there is only one entry point.. lol but hip hop/black culture had a significant hand in it more than any other and to that effect.. I’m seeing a lottt of resistance and warping on here :lol:
I don’t think you’re seeing that much warping of anything. Turns out hip hop wasn’t an entry point for us. And it makes sense. A lot of older sneakerheads came into it thru playing basketball itself.

My entry point into a full hip-hop album was funny enough BaD. It was a random connection too cause I’d be hearing Bristol Motel on this hip-hop radio station in Chicago circa 1993. I had already seen the AJ1 in one of those year by year kids photo books of MJ and was obsessed with the shoe when I found the CD at Circuit City. So when L was wearing THE shoes I knew I’d found my rapper. At least until his first Shark movie 😑

The LA Gear?! I see the ads for them all the time on IG! If they release the Olajuwon pair or the Joe Montana LA gear hiking boots, I might have to scoop them.
GR LA Gear was trash. Only the LA Lights were popping in the halls of JES. It was harder to cop those from the local K-Mart than it is to get most Js now.

Btw do y’all really think the average person under 30 should know who Jim Jones is? I say that as someone who considers Diplomatic Immunity an all time classic and in my personal top 5 favorite albums. He came a long way but let’s not act like he wasn’t getting clowned when he first started rapping alongside Cam’ron and Juelz. We’re not exactly talking about Biggie or Jay-Z here. He was never top tier or super mainstream.

Under 30 for sure, we gotta lower that age some.

If someone doesn't listen to Hip Hop I can absolutely see how they have no clue who he is. They prob think u talking about Jonestown Jim.

Im a NYer so I mean, probably biased. His affiliation with Dipset though boosts his popularaity but Jim aint an A-lister by any stretch though you right. :lol:

First pair of J’s for me was black Infared 6’s in 91’. My introduction to hip hop came in early 93’ with a little album called The Chronic, growing up in a suburb of LA as a white kid. So nope, hip hop was not an entry point for me into the sneaker world.

1710816253985.gif

Basketball was my life as a kid. All Chicago teams were #1 growing up. I took to MJ and the bulls through Wheaties boxes. Started watching the games, loved shoes period. That's how it took off for me. Chicago and basketball. That's all it was. Everyone has a different story.

Basketball was my life as a kid. All Chicago teams were #1 growing up. I took to MJ and the bulls through Wheaties boxes. Started watching the games, loved shoes period. That's how it took off for me. Chicago and basketball. That's all it was. Everyone has a different story.
This is the perspective I’d love to see front and center on a legitimate sneaker show. Cause there are a lot of us who have this same story. And not a lot of representation these days. Some of these guys just aren’t old enough to have that experience even if they’ve been doing it 20 years.

Yeah, not everyone is from NYC. It's a bit wild to not know who Jim Jones is now, but I sure wasn't listening to Dipset back in the day and am only familiar with them in a general sense now. I'm from the midwest and it was Chicago and basketball and skateboarding for me, at least where my interest in sneakers comes in.

I was listening to hip hop since elementary school, but back in the day it was whatever tape or CD you could buy once in a great while, what your friends had that you could swap and share, a song you heard in a skate video, or what information you could get from magazines and the rare TV appearance on a late night show or something. Me and my friends were for some reason all into Wu-Tang (and whatever was connected to them) and then almost exclusively west coast stuff. Most east coast and south stuff wasn't even on our radar. I looped back around and dialed in to a lot more east coast and southern stuff once Napster and Kazaa and **** made music more accessible, but a good portion of that stuff (especially the earlier southern stuff) is a little lost on me since I don't have the nostalgia for it and got into stuff that was more down the line. I also listen to a lot of stuff outside of hip-hop, so I might not have dived as deep as some.

I keep seeing the thread jump and I keep hoping it's more pictures.

Nope...more books on stuff that doesn't matter.

I just want my pair. That's all.

I don't think anyone is giving Jim credit for anything.

We realize that not knowing who Jim is says a lot about the current state of people into sneakers NOW.

Even Brendan Dunne and Welty know who Jim Jones is. :lol:

I don't think anyone is giving Jim credit for anything.

Of course they're giving Jim credit. They're assuming general-pop people know who he is. :lol: That's exactly putting him on a type of celebrity pedestal.

Jim started the movement away from baggy clothes and throwbacks/sports apparel as early as 2004.

He started wearing the fitted stuff/rock star type clothes. There are receipts.

The Affliction/Ed Hardy era? When every dude in the club had ripped jeans and rhinestones on his shirt? :sick:
Fitted clothes has been in style since then, pretty much 20 years. His wave also wiped out all the throwback-headband era and the Hip-Hop brands like Rocawear etc, that effect has also lasted since then too.

We can say Jones has had a lasting effect on Hip-Hop fashion.

I believe there was one particular lyric in 2003 that catapulted the shift away from jerseys. And it wasn’t Jim. But like with everything, the trends themselves never start in the music or with the musicians. They just get amplified by them. Jerseys and baggy clothes were way over saturated and destined to end regardless.

Back
Top Bottom