Jordan Wearability

Hi NT fam. This will be pretty interesting.

After a long period of hiatus, I am now back in the sneaker game and I have decided to treat myself with my longtime grails.
And the list includes a DS pair of Air Jordan 4 Lightning from 2006. I don't get kicks to store and look at them with pride as they were trophies. I wear them. So I would want wear to wear that pair as much as possible. But given it's nearly 13 years old AND it's DS, I am not sure they will survive past the 2nd wear... I am afraid they will crumble. But I don't know... And I truly want them. I am also about to purchase a used pair of Tokyo 5s and I have the same misgiving (to a lesser extent tho, given they are definitely not as old as the aforementioned Lightning 4s and they have been worn a couple times).

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to get them now and will I be able to rock them without worrying much about them crumbling under my feet?

Also I would want to take advantage of the topic to discuss the lifespan of Jordans, and establish a list of wearable/unwearable Js according to the model and the release year.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Decent thread potential here imo. 06s are risky though. I never had em but from my past pairs of the period of time, paint chipping is a definite.

Aight! Thanks. Paint chipping would definitely not be a problem for me. Would be normal given the age of the shoe. Repainting is still a viable and pretty simple option in case it gets a bit too ugly lol

A DS pair of 06 lightning 4’s will definitely chip and the V’s will crumble. Wore my olive V’s a few weeks ago and they’re toast.

anyone know if the 2001 retro 1's are safe to wear?

i have the blk/red colorway and have worn them less than 10 times since i got them the day they released

i have the blk/red colorway and have worn them less than 10 times since i got them the day they released
I think so. At most you may get sole separation. But easy fix.

The Tokyo Vs should be fine (I'm not sure about how bad the paint chipping was on those though.)

The Lightning IVs are a definite risk.

Jordan 1s will probably never have sole separation cause the rubber outsole is stitched to the upper. Most kicks like 4s and 5s the outsole is glued to the upper and use a polyurethane midsole that cause cracking and deterioration when kept for decades or poor storage.

I have a pair of the navy/silver 2001's and they are holding up pretty well. Only issues are with the wings jewel on the side of the shoe, they've yellowed and one almost came completely loose from the shoe. A little Crazy Glue and they were good as new.

From my experience, you're lucky to get more than 10-12 years with polyurethane midsoles. Phylon/ EVA doesn't crumble, sole separation happens but that can be fixed.

Jordan 1s are rubber, they're good to go. Jordans 2-9 are polyurethane. 10 and up are phylon, also good to go.

Yeah... Thanks fam! That's exactly what I was thinking. I wouldn't get much wear out of it if I copped them. However, I was thinking about going for a midsole swap. What do you think about it? Would you recommend such a move? Any pros and cons I should be aware of?

To my knowledge, you're good. 1s' are indestructible compared to the later models.

Yeah... Thanks fam! That's exactly what I was thinking. I wouldn't get much wear out of it if I copped them. However, I was thinking about going for a midsole swap. What do you think about it? Would you recommend such a move? Any pros and cons I should be aware of?

Pros: You'd have wearable Lightning IVs

Cons: Between buying the Lightnings, picking up a donor, and finding a quality restorer to do the job it could get costly.

Be careful with the durabuck swooshes. They will definitely start chipping if you handle them wrong. Other than that you probably never need to worry about those.

I wouldn't do it. It's like buying a used car you know is going to blow up as soon as you drive it... but it has a sweet paint job. Just wait and hope they retro. After all, how pissed would you be after investing all that into then just for them to be rereleased... plenty of dope newer shoes out there for less IMO.

Cool Thread. I plant to watch this closely. I wear the most recent BC3's to work daily and they are quick durable. Yes theres some cracks from the ususal and they don't look as pristine as the day I UNDS'd but they are a comfy option. I think Jordan 1's the only thing that can kill them is the sole's wearing off them. Otherwise they can expect a long lifespan.

My '99s are still wearable. Honestly, you'd be taking a chance either way. That's the issue with buying a lot of the older retros.

I wouldn't do it. It's like buying a used car you know is going to blow up as soon as you drive it... but it has a sweet paint job. Just wait and hope they retro. After all, how pissed would you be after investing all that into then just for them to be rereleased... plenty of dope newer shoes out there for less IMO.

what kind of used cars have you been getting? lol

My '99s are still wearable. Honestly, you'd be taking a chance either way. That's the issue with buying a lot of the older retros.

I’m not saying you’re lying but your 99 IV’s are still wearable??? That’s amazing!

Does anybody know if worn 2006 Jordan 4s are starting to separate ?

I saw a picture on Instagram of the lightning 4s with separation and I don’t want to have that happen to my pair

Back
Top Bottom