Joshua Cribbs doesn't think he will be re-signed.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

someone is gonan sign him for megabucks, and try and get a return on their investment by using him at WR a lot more and he will be rendered ineffective at both receiver and Kick return

thats what always happens

^ He most definitely ain't a WR. I completely agree on that. But he is also BY FAR our best gunner on special teams/biggest leader on theteam/MVP...
smh.gif

If someone wants to fork over more than he's worth...eh, I still want him no matter what unless some dumb +@% is willing to give up the house.
grin.gif

[table][tr][td]What Does Cribbs Want?
premium.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
682590.jpg

[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]
By TheOBR.com

Posted Jan 6, 2010
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

http://cle.scout.com/2/935628.html# http://cle.scout.com/2/935628.html#email-a-friend-window http://cle.scout.com/a.z?s=149&p=10&c=935628&refid=4781 | More

On Wednesday night, the slow-burning Cribbs contract saga exploded in flames as his representatives took their case to the media. But what will it really take to bring Cribbs back to Berea? John Taylor has the answer.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]

Earlier this evening, in what appears to be a decided attempt to put the issue at the forefront of the minds of Browns fans, Josh Cribbs contract situation suddenly flared up into a public firefight.

At about the same time as stories reflecting the Cribbs camp's unhappiness appeared in the Associated Press, Fox Sports, ESPN, and the Cleveland Plain Dealer, both Josh Cribbs and agent J.R.Rickert started twittering:

Cribbs: "Thanks everyone, I love playing for the browns & put my all in to it, but it doesn't look good 4me at this point on returning..."

Cribbs: "I don't believe I made the to do list for the team in 2010...."

Rickert: "I do not understand how Dawn Aponte and Mike Holmgren can defend their position, but they are alienating one of their best players."

Rickert: "1.4 per year is NOT even in the top 10 in the league for kick returners.....Are you kidding me or what??"

Rickert: "This is one the best special teams players in the history of the game and a player who has the ability to be a game changer at any moment"

The stories and tweets had their intended effect, as the Browns fanbase quickly exploded with frustration at the team's inability to sign the exciting record-setting returner. Other media outlets quickly followed suit, putting a threatened holdout on center stage in time for evening newscasts.

Browns fans have been through these sorts of things before in the post-expansion era, with Jamir Miller and Dennis Northcutt, for example, both taking contract fights public. After all, going public is one of the few recourses players have when they feel they are being paid under their value. In both of the above cases, after much furor and angry words in the press, the sides got back together and worked out a deal.

WIth that in mind, we attempted this evening to get both sides of the story, here's what the OBR's John Taylor told subscribers in our Insider Blog and Ask the Insiders forums:
  • The Cribbs situation is officially a very, very serious one.
  • Josh Cribbs is not -- let me repeat that, with emphasis: IS NOT -- looking for Devin Hester-type money. FYI, Hester's deal averages in the neighborhood of $5.5 million.

• If the Browns offered a deal that averaged in the neighborhood $2.5-$3 million per season, plus some bonuses/incentives thrown in, that would be in the ballpark of what Cribbs is looking for.
  • The Browns indeed offered Cribbs a deal that averages $1.4 million per season. It is their final, final offer. Or, as Dawn Aponte summed up the Browns' stance for now and in the future, "it'll be the same offer tomorrow, the same offer in March, and the same offer in September." Aponte's statements, emails and calls she has made in this situation the last week have been with the full authority of Mike Holmgren.
  • Cribbs feels "deeply disrespected" over how he's been treated and lied to over the past two+ years. He has been told by Phil Savage, Romeo Crennel, Randy Lerner, George Kokinis and Eric Mangini that he will be taken care of. He was also told that Mike Holmgren would "treat him fairly". This latest offer is a slap in the face according to Cribbs, especially the stance that their low-ball offer is also their final offer.
  • If the Browns do not come off their current position, Cribbs "will not step foot back in that facility. Ever."
  • If the Browns do not come off their current position, Cribbs will push for a trade on the first day of the league year in March, provided the Browns give them permission to speak to other teams. If not, if he is not given permission to shop himself, he will continue to stay away from the team and not participate in any OTAs or minicamps. Or training camp for that matter.
  • Just to tidy up this topic, Cribbs made $620,000 in 2009 and is scheduled to make $720,000 in 2010 according to NFLPA documents. His current contract runs through the 2012 season.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

someone is gonan sign him for megabucks, and try and get a return on their investment by using him at WR a lot more and he will be rendered ineffective at both receiver and Kick return

teams are just gonna stop kicking to him

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

I firmly believe that he's sort of bluffing this trade demand to worry the Browns.

He said it himself, he wants to be a Brown for life. He WILL get the money he deserves..

When it's all set and done, he will be paid

Why in the world would he want the Browns to up their offer? Their low-balling is a huge gift to him! Demand a trade to a better team! He'll definitely getthe modest money he's demanding from someone else!

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

teams are just gonna stop kicking to him

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

Originally Posted by OwensStr8Clownin

The 49ers need this. Please 49ers make this happen!,

49ers always need something don't they?
After watching Battle muff punts all season, a punt/kick returner is definitely tops on the list. Still wondering why they ever cut Allen Rossumand let Battle return punts while they still had Michael Spurlock on the team.

He needs to stop crying.

A) He looks worse daily by doing so

B) He has no leverage

C) He needs to allow the staff to get settled in. Holmgren's been on the job 3 days and there isn't even a GM in place

Relax Cribbs, you'll get yours when the time's right.

^the guy just blew up this season, why isnt the time right for him right now?

The season just ended
laugh.gif

There is a regime transition going on right now.

He won't be playing another NFL game for almost 5-6 months. Let the offseason run it's course.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/01/cleveland_browns_wr_josh_cribb_2.html

Cleveland Browns WR Josh Cribbs cleans out locker, feels like "it's over.''

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns Pro Bowl all-purpose star Josh Cribbs cleaned out his locker in Berea today, said his good-byes and told The Plain Dealer he feels likehe's played his last down of football for the Cleveland Browns.
"I said good-bye to some people on the medical staff, some of the equipment guys and the coaches,'' he said. "I wished the coaches luckand told them I hoped they kept their job. But it absolutely felt like the last time I'd be setting foot inside the building. I feel like it's over forme in Cleveland.''

Cribbs said he was thrilled that Browns coach Eric Mangini kept his job, and said he felt like he contributed to that decision.

"I'd like to think that some of my play over those last four games helped those guys keep their jobs, including my two kickoff returns fortouchdowns against Kansas City,'' he said. "I wonder how many jobs would've been lost if I hadn't laid it on the line for them everysingle week?''

Cribbs said the Browns' $1.4 million a year offer feels "like I've been betrayed and stabbed in the back. I'm not just insulted by thenumber, but by the fact they consider me just a kick returner. I'm so much more than that.''

Cribbs said based on the "take it or leave it offer'' he's not at all optimistic about being back and that he'll most likely demand atrade in the near future.

"There's no way I'll play another down for the Browns without the new contract,'' he said. "They won't let me sit, because Ihave value. They'd be forced to trade me.''

Cribbs said "I'm shocked they make me an offer like that after all I've done for this team. They told me to be the good soldier and prove it onthe field and I did that. I can't be told to wait again. I just don't see it happening now.''

Cribbs' agents said Wednesday that Cribbs will leave the team by the start of the league year March 4 if his contract is not re-done. They were miffedthat several messages to Dawn Aponte, vice president of football administration, and new president Mike Holmgren were not returned, even when given a deadlineof 5 p.m Tuesday to do so.

As for Holmgren retaining Mangini, Cribbs said, "that's a good decision by Mike Holmgren. He's the right man for the job. Guys have started tobuy into his system. I feel like a good football mind would know that coach Mangini has this team going in the right direction. I can't see another coachcoming in here and creating the impact that he's done so far. I feel like that's a job well done right there.''

Considering he has almost beaten the Steelers himself the past few years, it would be nice to see him go somewhere else

He said it himself, he wants to be a Brown for life. He WILL get the money he deserves..
Players say that a lot, I mean if he doesn't get the contract he wants, he won't stay for less. Hometown discounts rarely exist, andshouldn't

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

^the guy just blew up this season, why isnt the time right for him right now?
He didn't blow up this season...he's been doing this for years (save the Wildcat stuff). He just got more national recognition thisseason.

I have a hard time believing a deal won't be done...Just Pay The %%##!@+ MAN. It's not THAT hard.
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom