Journalism aint no joke...smh

So im a senior in college doing an internship at a local newspaper in baltimore where i attend school... so i was assigned to cover a story at a hoteldowntown. Guests had been complaining about bed bugs and other filth, so i had to do a story... I met the manager , and before i could interview him he triedto butter me up asking questions about traffic and if i had trouble finding the place... I just complained about the increasing costs of gas....smh this ninjahad the nerve to say he would cover the costs and proceeded to give me $500 for gas.....smh the normal me woulda been like eeeeekkks!!! the reporter me had toturn it down due to ethics and creditablity.....bribing reporters for a good story...tisk .. sad thing is that these type of things occur on the governmentallevel...thats why many stories get hidden from the public...

larger version of your avy?
pimp.gif

naah u cant do that.. cus either way i woulda been wrong for taking the cash....i wasnt tryna end my career before it even started for 500 bucks thats too liteto kill my dreams lol

Do you have any regrets besides seeing the corruption? I seriously was thinking of getting back into Journalism for my major.

No i like it actually, i like the perks, the press pass just walkin into places without paying, and of course the beasts who all wanna make up some reason foryou to write an article about them. Its cool if you can write about a subject of your interest. I love it...i want to eventually become a news anchor...but thehard part is interviewing someone who is hysterical because their kid just got offed or something and your standing there with ur pen n pad trying to askquestions...other than that its cool if you can work with deadlines ..i like the rush

becuase even if i took the $ and wrote the same bad story, if it were to get out, there would be an issue. like the press basically takes an oath to conducttheir actions based on morals and ethics. Although he didnt say what the money was for you and i both know that gas isnt 500 bucks... and had i took the moneythats probably when he would have tried to negoitiate... but i didnt even let it go that far

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Originally Posted by iMaPyT

at a local newspaper in baltimore where i attend school... so i was assigned to cover a story at a hotel downtown.

scotttempleton.jpg

???

laugh.gif
..I think you the right thing by not taking the bribe and keepingyour journalistic integrity. I know a couple people who are journalism major. (I'm myself, TV Production major) I had to take journalism class, it was coolclass even though I dropped it
ohwell.gif
and I got to take it again nextsummer.

Morgan State Univ, the Baltimore Examiner...

ChromeDW: eeekks tv production...i need to learn that... i kno how to edit but im not good at working the camera...i was gonna ask for sum tips...but udropped..sheesh

That's what's up man..im starting school soon and im looking to be a journalist..I got a couple questions man,1st.were you an english or a journalismmajor?secondly,is there a way where you can be specific about what u want to write?I would like to be a sports columnist if that's at all possible.

During my career as a journalist I have come across endless scandals, backhanded deals, bribes, corruption and people backtracking on their accounts ofsituations (luckily I like to keep everything backed up in electronic storage) that I've become sickened at the amount of liars and cheaters that exist notonly in my community, but in my state as well.
sick.gif

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

why cant u take the money and write a true story?

Because it's completely against the code of journalism ethics and most of us like to keep our jobs and our ethics intact.

Originally Posted by Bruce Uppercut

Because it's completely against the code of journalism ethics and most of us like to keep our jobs and our ethics intact.

im not tryin sound like prick but is this code - dont take money or dont take money at the loss of my ethics

Originally Posted by Bruce Uppercut

im not tryin sound like prick but is this code - dont take money or dont take money at the loss of my ethics
Don't take bribes. That's absolutely against the code of ethics in journalism.

VA757VA: i think the best idea is to major in English with a minor or concentration in journalism.... normally you cant choose in college what subject or"beat" you want to write for....but seek internships that cater to sports. I personally major in broadcast journalism, which is diff fromjournalism...i eventually want to be on tv news...but i would have to learn how to be a reporter first....soo im writing as of now

waaay harder than you think!!! i had to do a news piece the other day...it took me about 10mins to say a 40 sec line....i was nervous....i cudnt get it rightuntil the camera man turned his back.. b/c i felt awkward with him jus staring... i kept laughing and effing up....i said a perfect line then walked off of theset by mistake...had to re-do it...takes a lot of practice grrr! lol

Back
Top Bottom