Just got my motorcycle permit Need bikers Input!

I just got my motorcycle permit and I am looking for my first bike. What do you guys recommened? I have ridin dirt bikes before but, i feel it wont be the samejust because more thing can happen on a street bike. Im looking into sports bikes like Kawasaki ninja 250 or 650. The new 08 250's are nice, but I havebeen told that maybe in a year I would want to upgrade to a better bike. So I figured to just get a 500cc and up bike. I prefer a new bike, but I wouldn'tmind a used bike. Theres a shop that has a New 07 kawasaki ninja 650 for $5499 which is a great deal! Any info/tips would be appreciated!

my bro bout a 98 yamaha r1 1000cc for 2000, but it broke after 2 months a could never fix it again. but i would reccomend something better than 500cc, thatslike riding a mini motorcycle trust me

GSXR600s are
pimp.gif

Im looking at late model 250cc ninjas. Their mpg is quite nice, though I wonder if 500cc's are that much lower.

Originally Posted by Cr8tiveRec21

GSXR600s are
pimp.gif

Yup. That was my first bike last summer. I suggest no super sport bikes over 600cc's. If you can handle a 600cc, it is a great beginner bike.

take the MSF class, it helps A LOT.

as far as your first bike, stick with a 250cc. i would've but decided on an R6.

remember, there are two kinds of riders...those who have fallen, and those who are going to fall. so ride safe.

-buy a used bike
-dress for the crash, not the weather
-take the msf course
-have fun

i will be getting my permit/liscense hopefully this summer, plan on gettitng an older model 250r/650r then upgrading later on

Thanks for the info! I am planning on taking a course call Team Oregon, the cool thing is if/when i pass it voids the test at dmv. Anymore info would beappreciated!

Lol, who the hell wants 250cc? I know more than a few ppl who got 1000s for first bikes like R1, gsxr 1000. Start with at least 600cc. You're gonna getbored and that's a waste of money.

^ I can tell you of multiple people who started on 600cc and put it into the ground in the first month. Do NOT listen to guys like this, please.

You have two options:

1) Master a 250cc engine and know the ins and outs of maneuvering a sport bike. THEN move into a 600cc and absolutely know what you are doing

or

2) Get a 600cc (or higher) and put the damn thing into the ground because it's too much power. Then spend the next 6 months "learning" bygradually being able to NOT lose control of the bike or kill yourself.

Of course, you could be one of the lucky ones who gets a 600cc (or higher) and does fine, but the do you think more people have bought a 250 and mastered itand done 100% fine on a 600cc or do you think more people have bought 600/1000cc "beginner bike" and gotten seriously hurt?

Just my .02

listen to baby dill...he's right.
I always tell people "it's your first bike, not your last"..
you can always sell it when you get bored and want to move up to a bigger cc bike once you're comfortable.

Getting a 1000cc bike as your first bike is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
smh.gif
squids.
Whatever you buy though...it should be used because the majority of people drop their first bike...and invest into some quality gear.

EDIT: I didn't see that you said you were interested in the 08 250r...I'm getting one in red soon...
pimp.gif

they're very high in demand so if you can get one..you won't have any prob reselling it for very near the original price you paid if you'reconcerned about losing money..

Anyone who suggests starting out on a liter is either a ******, or they don't actually ride themselves. It's funny how different our country looks tostarter bikes compared to the rest of the world. The "big bike, little @%*%" attitude is strictly an American phenomenon.

I started on a Kawasaki 250R. If you value going fast in corners and becoming a better rider, I would suggest to anyone to do the same (or a 500 at most).Between the cost of the bike itself, the resale after you're done with it, the mpg you get, and the cost of consumables (tires, pads, etc.), it's IMOthe perfect starter bike. I've taken out one of the new ones too, and aside from the seat being less comfortable, it's even more of an improvement.*Edit: And just reading back on what I said, the stock Dunlops are useless. It's the perfect starter bike once you trash those and get some real rubber.*

I'd say roughly 95% of the people I've encountered that started on 600's or higher can't ride for @%@%. The lower cc bikes have enough power toget a feel of the bike, they handle well enough to develop good technique, but they aren't fast enough to get you into a lot of trouble while you'reexperimenting. They still will, because you can low/highside or wreck on any bike, but it's less likely than it is on a modern 600+. People I know whostarted on 600's couldn't explore the limits of the bike, they learned nothing, and now they suck in the corners and have to rely on straightaways.They bought into the macho, "Anything under a 600's a @#*%% bike" $!!#@%##, and they're now basically posers.

And invest in good gear.

www.sportbikes.net/forums is a decent general mc forum; do some reading there.

The 250r seems like the best choice for me. I agree with babydill and JMaddness2345129 on suggesting getting a new 08 Kawasaki ninja 250R MSRP $3499. Ive readtons of reviews on this bike and have heard good things performace wise for a 250 it's enough power for a first time rider even expieranced riders likethis bike. The bike looks great style wise. Ill try mastering the 250 first even if it takes me awhile which I know it will, plus as long as I take care of itthe resell value should be very good. I don't need to much power on my first bike, I don't want it tobe my last bike. Thanks Guys and ill keep uupdated if I can even get my hands on a 250R , because I know there in high demand.

Not to thread-jack, but when u guys say your bound to drop/crash a bike; how bad is the crash usually?
if that question makes any sense?

yep, pretty much upgrade when you feel ready. i started with a gsxr 600 then progressed to a 750 and finally a r1 just for the hell of it. but when i hit thecanyons im back on the 750 because its more responsive and agile for my personal likings. whatever fits your bill

yamahas are light and nimble. gxrs are heavy and stable. whatever the bike youre riding, just respect it. please dont have those %+$+*+$ mohawks on yourhelmets or ride in shorts, it not only looks stupid but is stupid.

what kind of bike can i get for under 500? i really want to get a motorcycle but i already have a car so i really dont want to have to make payments on a biketoo while paying for a car

you wont be able to get anything in good running condition for 500, get a stack and you will be able to find some decent old cruisers.

Originally Posted by baby dill

^ I can tell you of multiple people who started on 600cc and put it into the ground in the first month. Do NOT listen to guys like this, please.

You have two options:

1) Master a 250cc engine and know the ins and outs of maneuvering a sport bike. THEN move into a 600cc and absolutely know what you are doing

or

2) Get a 600cc (or higher) and put the damn thing into the ground because it's too much power. Then spend the next 6 months "learning" by gradually being able to NOT lose control of the bike or kill yourself.

Of course, you could be one of the lucky ones who gets a 600cc (or higher) and does fine, but the do you think more people have bought a 250 and mastered it and done 100% fine on a 600cc or do you think more people have bought 600/1000cc "beginner bike" and gotten seriously hurt?

Just my .02
everyone drops they first so dont get brand new i guess. get a used 600. but the guy has dirt bike experience already too. im sure hell be ok.seriously who the hell rides around on 250ccs? i dont even see those on the streets. thats just my .02

not everyone drops there first bike, im 16 started on a yamaha r6 2006 50th anniversary edition bike and been riding for months now and havent droped it, yesstarting on a 250 is good but no everyone wants the same thing. The best thing i could see him doing is possibly getting to ride a 600 bike, and also a 250 andsee which one feels best to him.

Originally Posted by lurkin2long

Originally Posted by baby dill

You have two options:

or

2) Get a 600cc (or higher) and put the damn thing into the ground because it's too much power. Then spend the next 6 months "learning" by gradually being able to NOT lose control of the bike or kill yourself.

Of course, you could be one of the lucky ones who gets a 600cc (or higher) and does fine, but the do you think more people have bought a 250 and mastered it and done 100% fine on a 600cc or do you think more people have bought 600/1000cc "beginner bike" and gotten seriously hurt?

Just my .02
everyone drops they first so dont get brand new i guess. get a used 600. but the guy has dirt bike experience already too. im sure hell be ok. seriously who the hell rides around on 250ccs? i dont even see those on the streets. thats just my .02
If more people did that, I'm pretty sure there'd be alot less accidents. People wanna run before they learn to crawl.

Back
Top Bottom