Just got to Austin.. here for a week

how old are you?

6th street is cool if you are young and just want to get wasted ( a bunch of college kids and dirty bars)
all the locals hang out on the east side
nice shops and restaurants at the Domain (for grown folks)

restaurants -
franklins bbq (if you feel like waking up really early and waiting in line till they open but probably the best brisket you will ever have)
terry blacks (bbq)
gordoughs
hop doddy's (burgers and shakes..shakes are a must with the meal)
gus's fried chicken
be more pacific
torchy's
24 hour diner (best chicken and waffles in austin) - i love this place especially after a night of drinking

the thing about austin is there is a lot of non-chain restaurants so you can discover a lot of places...you will see there are so many

If you love beer , pinthouse pizza is a must. Their pizza is amazing and their home brew, electric jellyfish, will be some of the greatest things you’ve ever tasted.

how old are you?

6th street is cool if you are young and just want to get wasted ( a bunch of college kids and dirty bars)
all the locals hang out on the east side
nice shops and restaurants at the Domain (for grown folks)

restaurants -
franklins bbq (if you feel like waking up really early and waiting in line till they open but probably the best brisket you will ever have)
terry blacks (bbq)
gordoughs
hop doddy's (burgers and shakes..shakes are a must with the meal)
gus's fried chicken
be more pacific
torchy's
24 hour diner (best chicken and waffles in austin) - i love this place especially after a night of drinking

the thing about austin is there is a lot of non-chain restaurants so you can discover a lot of places...you will see there are so many

I'm mid 30's and thanks for the suggestions!

Food:
Via 313
Tumble 22
Ramen Tatsu-Ya
Tommy Want Wingy
Counter Cafe
Halal Bros
Franklin Barbecue
La Barbecue
Pluckers
Sawyer and Co.
Yellow Jacket
Black Sheep Lodge
Black’s Barbecue (not to be confused with terry black’s)

Bars:
Craft Pride
Lustre Pearl
Radio Coffee and Beer (also has a good taco truck)
Hotel Vegas
The Liberty
Violet Crown

You can go see the Trail of Lights while you’re in town since it’s going on right now. If you’re down for the exercise, Mt. Bonnell and the 360 bridge overlook are pretty dope spots to see.

Franklin’s has reopened. You can also check out La Barbecue if you don’t want to wait as long. If you have a car, Salt Lick is worth the trip for the experience (dripping springs isn’t that far).

Torchy’s is always good. Another taco option is Veracruz All Natural.

Homeboy that said 24 Diner is giving good advice, food is legit.

I’d suggest some good Thai and/or Asian food trucks, but I don’t know where you’re from we don’t got shut on a lot of bigger cities.

The Domain sucks, don’t waste your time unless you’re staying up there.

East side or Rainey street are my preferred areas to go out. Dirty 6th is a steaming pile with a lot of knuckle heads just looking for trouble.

My wife loves Container Bar, I can’t stand it. Prefer Clive across the street, plus my boy got the hook up there. Blackheart is also good if you enjoy whiskey.

Tommy Want Wingy is good, but they’re price increases have killed it for me.

I've lived here for a year now and I'm still taking notes in this thread.

Restaurants
Gus's is good, but I'm not crazy about it.
Tommy want wingy is good, but not as good as my boy hyped it up to be.
Co-sign on tochy's, I've only had the chips and queso and that alone is worth the trip.
My boy says little barrel and brown is the best fried chicken, but to me
THE ABSOLUTE BEST FRIED CHICKEN I'VE EVER HAD IN MY LIFE IS AT CULINARY DROPOUT IN THE DOMAIN. I can not stress to you enough how good it is. I almost got mad bc I felt like they were trying to perpetuate racism by making me enjoy fried chicken that much. I've been there four times and I have to get that dish.
Dogwood in the domain has some good food too, it's more known as a nightlife spot. The Jalapeño Mac is good and surprisingly filling.
Mangias deep dish pizza is :wow: :smh: :pimp: esp if you're drunk
P Terry's is definitely good, I love their ketchup, I drown my burgers in it.
Hopdoddys is a dope, BE SURE to get truffle fries. Trust.
I read somewhere that via 313 is the best pizza spot in TX, it was def good, but I honestly enjoy the pizza on 6th street more.
Can't believe I still haven't been to Franklin's. I've heard nothing but rave reviews.
I drive for uber eats so there's soooo many restaurants here that I want to try.

NIghtlife
Basically everything jape said ab 6th, except west 6th is a little more nicer. Kung fu is cool out there, green light JUMPS on the weekends. Jam packed. Ask for the Capri sun pouch at the bar. Get two. Trust me.
I live across from the domain, so I go there too damn much. The vibe has changed a lot within the past few months. My gripe used to be that the dj's sucked, but now they play MUCH more rap/hood music and I've noticed that it caused the dynamic to change from about 85% white and 15% black to about 65%white and 35% black.

Kung fu is laid back, more like a college bar feel.
Dogwood is a little more upscale, spacious, two stories, open space.

77 is pretty upscale, they're like the only place that enforces any type of dress code.

If vanilla is your flavor, you will not be disappointed with any of the Austin nightlife.

Hoop Scene
I ball, but I don't play too often. There's a court around the corner from me and cats get busy out there on Sundays, on Amherst by Duval.

I lived on Duval right across from the Domain for 2 years before moving south. Best choice I’ve made in my 6 years here. The Domain has gotten way too hectic for me, but if you live close it is the best option. Cops have increased their presence out there though.

Rock Rose is basically West 6th up North in a condensed space. I actually know one of the owners of Kung Fu, dude is an investment banker that moved here from NYC.

Has Homeslice been mentioned yet? Via 313 is good if you Detroit style deep dish, but Homeslice is better for New York style pie.

If you want decent fried chicken that isn’t overpriced, hit up Lucy’s. They’ve got one off South Congress, another on Burnet, and another take away spot on south Lamar.

Plush on the corner of Red River and 7th plays good old school rap and r&b, but I can’t remember if they do it on Friday or Saturday. My ex used to frequent that place and she’s a huge POS, so I avoid it like the plague.

Torchys = life!!

Op where are you from? If you’re not from the south, go ahead and stop into whataburger too.

tr1ll tr1ll from DC. I've eaten at via313(pizza crust is great). Tried to eat at Frank's, but was pretty packed. I might go bang on some cats at 24hour fitness later. Thread is gold! Thanks!

Just got here yesterday. Already hit up a lot of food spots. I might go try these wings tonight.

Back
Top Bottom