Kant vs. Mill, school me vol. dumb it down

Trying to figure these two guys out but can't focus. Got an in-class essay in the morn. Anyone have to read this stuff and can explain it on the simple? Specifically how does kant use reason and how does mill defend the principle of utility? 

Trying to figure these two guys out but can't focus. Got an in-class essay in the morn. Anyone have to read this stuff and can explain it on the simple? Specifically how does kant use reason and how does mill defend the principle of utility? 

Step-by-step graphic comparing the philosophies of Kant and JSM
Spoiler [+]

113902292.jpg

Step-by-step graphic comparing the philosophies of Kant and JSM
Spoiler [+]

113902292.jpg

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

Cue the Willy Wonka "you must be new here" pic.
Dont post that often but been here since 05. I wouldn't consider 6 years new...
and the graphic next post down doesn't work

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

Cue the Willy Wonka "you must be new here" pic.
Dont post that often but been here since 05. I wouldn't consider 6 years new...
and the graphic next post down doesn't work

Don't think you're really going to understand Kant very well unless you've read Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Morals... there's a lot that I don't remember about perfect and imperfect duties....

Kant's take on moral philosophy revolves around the Categorical Imperative. The concept is pretty much a tool used to determine whether or not an action can be deemed morally acceptable.

"Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law."

In my very limited understanding of it, you take a moral proposition/maxim and universalize it. Most familiar example I can think of is lying. You make it so that whenever a person communicates, that person is lying. This would be deemed an unacceptable action. Why? The purpose of communication is the dissemination of information. When lying is condoned, we are unable to determine the truth of the information being communicated. Lying renders communication useless and is therefore not morally desirable.

You can kind of take it as "do unto others....," but his entire moral philosophy encompasses much more than this.

After that, there's talk of perfect and imperfect duties and it just becomes a serious mindf***... Unless you're taking a course on Kantian Ethics, I doubt you need to know much more than the categorical imperative.

Don't know much about Mill, never did any extensive "required" reading for Utilitarianism... What I do know is that he subscribes to the principle that the action which should be deemed morally acceptable/desirable is the action that will bring about the greatest utility or happiness...

Hopefully something I said helps somewhat... I haven't written or read anything related to either of these guys in a while.

If you haven't already checked out Standford's Encyclopedia of Philosophy:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/mill/#MorUti

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kant-moral/

Don't think you're really going to understand Kant very well unless you've read Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Morals... there's a lot that I don't remember about perfect and imperfect duties....

Kant's take on moral philosophy revolves around the Categorical Imperative. The concept is pretty much a tool used to determine whether or not an action can be deemed morally acceptable.

"Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law."

In my very limited understanding of it, you take a moral proposition/maxim and universalize it. Most familiar example I can think of is lying. You make it so that whenever a person communicates, that person is lying. This would be deemed an unacceptable action. Why? The purpose of communication is the dissemination of information. When lying is condoned, we are unable to determine the truth of the information being communicated. Lying renders communication useless and is therefore not morally desirable.

You can kind of take it as "do unto others....," but his entire moral philosophy encompasses much more than this.

After that, there's talk of perfect and imperfect duties and it just becomes a serious mindf***... Unless you're taking a course on Kantian Ethics, I doubt you need to know much more than the categorical imperative.

Don't know much about Mill, never did any extensive "required" reading for Utilitarianism... What I do know is that he subscribes to the principle that the action which should be deemed morally acceptable/desirable is the action that will bring about the greatest utility or happiness...

Hopefully something I said helps somewhat... I haven't written or read anything related to either of these guys in a while.

If you haven't already checked out Standford's Encyclopedia of Philosophy:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/mill/#MorUti

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kant-moral/

Fam lets be serious. There's no way you're going to learn all of Kant's and Mill's philosophical views to compare and contrast them to each other.

Mill made up utilitarianism though and I disagree with it on it's core idea; the greatest quality of happiness for the greatest quantity." Sounds good but it's blanketed for all things, so say you're gonna destroy a forest so that your community survives, if there's more animals in the forest their happiness trumps human lives.

I remember spending a great deal of time trying to get over on Kant's moral contradiction proposition
pimp.gif

Fam lets be serious. There's no way you're going to learn all of Kant's and Mill's philosophical views to compare and contrast them to each other.

Mill made up utilitarianism though and I disagree with it on it's core idea; the greatest quality of happiness for the greatest quantity." Sounds good but it's blanketed for all things, so say you're gonna destroy a forest so that your community survives, if there's more animals in the forest their happiness trumps human lives.

I remember spending a great deal of time trying to get over on Kant's moral contradiction proposition
pimp.gif

kant is more deontological and supports the catergorical imperative/maxims. mill is more utilitarian aka maximizing goodness. just research those two views and you can do pages worth of compare and contrast.

kant is more deontological and supports the catergorical imperative/maxims. mill is more utilitarian aka maximizing goodness. just research those two views and you can do pages worth of compare and contrast.

Back
Top Bottom