Kanye's Vanity vol. The Politics of Black Self-Love

:x @ the comparisons to Pac. Scary. As for Kanye himself, the music is what it is. Haven't even listened to Yeezus. Probably never will, for I was turned off years ago from Kanye. Have never understood the hype around him.

@cartune- mixing 1 or 2 songs about real **** with an album full of indoctrination. How is that helping? Seriously.
The majority of his work is mainly talking about himself and has no social message.
And Im not even saying that a rapper has to always be on some social righteousness.
But yall trying to make Kanye out to be some kind of pioneer for the people when he hasnt done half of the things that others have that came before him.

And you asked what other artists has done this.

How about Andre 3000, Cee-Lo Green, The Goodie M.O.B, Common, Mos Def, The Roots, Lauryn Hill, Erica Badu.
All of these artists' music is comprised mainly of lyrics that try to help reverse the hypnosis, with some more popular music mixed in to satisfy the labels.

To your other point of other lyricist helping on the album.
So Kanye had help on the lyrics, which were sub-par. Most of the album was produced by other people.
Then why is everyone giving Kanye so much props for creating this IMO terrible "experimental album?"
Now, I am more inclined to give Kanye a pass for Yeezus, seeing as other people did most the work on this album.

As for Pac...yes that's exactly how I feel about him. THUG LIFE tatted on your belly, spitting on reporters, but yet Brenda got a Baby, Changes, Rose from Concrete and many "nice" tracks, etc...thus I'm not a real fan of pac. He could write very well, yes, but he at times was pretty contradictory.
You might want to read up on what Tupac was about. There are alot of things hidden beneath the surface with Tupac. Take his THUG LIFE tattoo for example. T.H.U.G. L.I.F.E is an acronym that means. The Hate U Give Little Infants F's Everybody. It was meant to remind us that when we neglect our kids, it not only affects their life, but has longstanding and immeasurable effects on the community as a whole.

Did he make mistakes? Sure. And Im sure he was angry after getting set up too. But look through his catalog and you will see more gems in one album than in the last 3 or 4 Kanye albums combined.

Kanye has surpassed Tupac. I'm being dead serious.

I'm not talking musical talent, moreso his image in the hiphop game.
Pacs image in the hip hop game is widely regarded as arguably the best rapper EVER. I have NEVER heard Kanye being mentioned in that conversation. And I know you cant seriously be saying that Kanye is one of the greatest rappers to ever live are you?

"I hope that his Thug Life **** is really over. But on the real, if you gonna be a ************’ thug, you gots to live and die a thug, you know what I’m sayin’? There ain’t no jumpin’ in and out of thugism. If that’s what you choose to do, you gots to go out like that. I ain’t no thug. Only thugs I know is dead or in jail. Or about to be."

-Puffy, Vibe Magazine, March 1995
Crazy how Pac can switch between thug and social activist depending on how convenient it is for the Pac stan given the argument taking place.

Last edited:
The level of influence on the culture might be comparable but for me the major difference between Kanye and Pac is sincerity.

Ever since the 808's period it just seems like Kanye has been playing a series of characters.

I know you could flip it and say it's down to growth/development but there always seems to be a lot of bull **** involved.

Last edited:
Gotta disagree

Kanye tried to pull some kind of David Bowie move and it seems only his stanbase are the ones screaming "classic", "epic", etc

I'm very open minded, I despise Kanye the person but enjoy a majority of his music, this album is not a good album.

I always find it funny how the majority of NT turned on Drake but I guarantee that if Kanye made Take Care y'all would be saying how great it is.

I've never seen an artist slurped as much as Kanye on this board.
Man I can't rock with a dude spitting wack **** all throughout the album.

Experiment my ***...I thought he was suppose to be making GOOD music? 

i don't like his public personality or what he raps about a lot of the time (especially regarding women), but his artistic trajectory at least has been interesting to watch

Back
Top Bottom