Kobe advises '12 team would beat Dream Team

Why is this so far fetched? the 12 team has the advantage in size, strength, and athleticism.. Y'all really expect Bird to check LeBron?  
laugh.gif
 C'mon

i hate this mismatched era comparisons as well... No one on the 92 is gaurdin Bron or KD... Period.

theyd shoot over Jordan all day... Pip is long but not long enough to see KDs jumper

idk man.

Originally Posted by Any Given Sunday89

Why is this so far fetched? the 12 team has the advantage in size, strength, and athleticism.. Y'all really expect Bird to check LeBron?  
laugh.gif
 C'mon

and....which PG do you expect to check Magic Johnson?
and you REALLY expect Tyson Chandler and Dwight to check David Robinson and the Dream in their primes?  How old are yall?

92 Team would win due to having the better big men, IMO. But it's closer than people want to admit.

I did a spreadsheet back in our ezboard days; it compared the amount of championships, conference titles, scoring titles, assist titles, rebounding titles, 1st team nods, all-defense nods, ROTY awards, & MVPs were on the '92 team compared to '96.

What I thought that would do was show how '92 crapped all over '96. What it ended up doing was showing me that the gap is closer than I thought. I still got '92 over '96, but I don't argue too much w/ folks who say '96.

But any other year? Nah, chill w/ that.

Originally Posted by solarius49

laugh.gif
 C'mon

You think LeBron is incapable of guarding Magic?

solarius49:
Any Given Sunday89:
laugh.gif
 C'mon

and you REALLY expect Tyson Chandler and Dwight to check David Robinson and the Dream in their primes?  How old are yall?

I'm definitely on your side of the fence, but Dream was '96.

Well...whats tricky is that while the Dream Team on paper had 11 Hall of Famers, at that exact time period some of the players were either injured (Stockton with a broken leg) or past their primes (Bird being done and Magic with HIV and out of the league) but with prime Jordan and Barkley. And this year's Olympic team has the best player on Earth in Lebron and a young emerging Durant to go along with two of the best Pt Guards in CP-3 and D-Will. So I dont think its as lopsided a battle as some of the Dream Teamers and others would have you believe.

But I put the edge on the era of basketball being better played, size with Malone, Robinson and Ewing, and the best ever Jordan being better then anyone on the 2012 team. While Jordan coasted through the 92 Olympics, Id put money on him exploding if actually needed and no one on the 2012 squad could stop him. Also the Doberman combo of Jordan and Pippen being sicked on Lebron, Durant or whatever perimeter player could do major damage.

Originally Posted by 7thAve btn 31stN33rd St

laugh.gif
 C'mon

He absolutely is capable, so while he is guarding Magic, I'm assuming there is still a PG on the floor.  So between DWill, Russ, and Paul, who is guarding Scottie Pippen, Larry Bird or Chris Mullin?

And Larry past his prime?  He still averaged 20/10 in 92

The 08 team would get the dream team.

Far superior athletically and just as skilled, if not more skilled.

A line up of Kobe, Chris Paul, Lebron, Melo, and Dwight Howard? Throw in Wade too? I'm taking them. Lebron or Kobe would fair pretty well against Jordan, Scottie, Magic, Bird, Drexler, etc. defensively better than the vice versa of that IMO
The perimeter would be heavily dependent on Jordan. Lebron would be able to check all of those guys, and none of those guys can legitimately check Bron. (Except for Jordan, however Jordan is too small to me for bron) 

12' would get them too.

He absolutely is capable, so while he is guarding Magic, I'm assuming there is still a PG on the floor.  So between DWill, Russ, and Paul, who is guarding Scottie Pippen, Larry Bird or Chris Mullin?

Why do you have to have a PG? Why can't LeBron be the PG and they run with a big line up?

1 - Bron
2- Kobe
3- Durant
4- Blake
5- Chandler

Dwight
Bynum

Lebron
Durant
Melo
Iggy
Blake or Love

Kobe
Paul
Russ
Wade
Deron

Vs

Ewing
David

Bird
Pip
Bark
Malone
Latener

Magic
MJ
Stockton
Mullin
Drex

If it was a 7 game series, 92 might win in 7, but it would be much closer than people assume.  I'm not messin with the whole Tyson Chandler stuff, if the 12 best from this year, vs the 12 best from 92  (maybe does somethin with Latener then) and it would work well.  I actually think the 08 team could have done it even more if you could get KG in there, and maybe Ray and Pierce, bump out guys like Russ and Durant.  Either way, having a team with Paul, Dwight, Lebron, Kobe, KG........um, that's pretty good. 
laugh.gif

That's not far-fetched to say.

Bron, KD, Russ, Cp3 and Kobe.
sick.gif
Miss match nightmares.

They would be a problem for anybody. I don't care if you are the dream team.

Now I cannot say in full confidence they would beat the dream team just because of MJ. Dude was just a different type of beast.
30t6p3b.gif

Why do you have to have a PG? Why can't LeBron be the PG and they run with a big line up?

1 - Bron
2- Kobe
3- Durant
4- Blake
5- Chandler
You dont HAVE to, but I'm just rolling with the way the lineups would most likely be put on the floor IMO.  Do you expect Lebron to be the PG in the Olympics
but lets play Devils Advocate

Bron vs Magic

Kobe vs Jordan = they cancel each other (really dont wanna get into that conversation)

Durant vs Pippen = Pippen shuts Durant down

Blake vs Karl Malone = No competition, Karl Malone is far too versatile and would torch Blake, as would Barkley

Chandler vs Ewing = Ewing would destroy him.

My bad I put Hakeem before because Im over here reading this article lol my bad guys

So the only match up I'm not too sure about is Bron vs Magic.  I think Bron would get the best of him, but like I said, I honestly expect Team USA to start a PG.  If they didnt play a PG, that would take away 3 of the most dynamic players on team USA (Paul, DWill and Russy)

Well if we're just bumping guys out instead of sticking w/ the actual roster, then can we replace Laettner (Latener?
laugh.gif
) w/ either Zeke or Nique?

The athleticism difference between the dream team era and now is really not that big. And the dream team had extremely athletic players who all were much more fundamentally sound than pretty much everyone on this team. Fundamentals beat athleticism 9 times out of 10. So no, I don't see this game being won by the current team. 

I love how now MJ is the only person that mattered.

Like it was him & a bunch of dudes who were, you know, decent I guess.
laugh.gif

Like all of a sudden, a roster full of dudes who DID win championships & scoring titles is greater than a roster of folks who have the athletic ability to dominate every year, but haven't yet because... ummm... they just haven't decided to yet.
laugh.gif
And no, I'm not even talking about Bron. He's a monster, and I'm a fan. But dudes are talking about Melo & Dwight & Durant & others like they have super impressive NBA resumes. No, they have super impressive highlights, but the titles... where they at? Only dudes w/ bling in '12 are Kobe & Bron. And how do you won titles? By ripping the hearts out of 4 of the best teams in the league. Only 2 people in '12 have gone down that road, and only one has done it multiple times... but they're going to beat a roster of Bird, Pippen, Jordan, & Magic, who had ask played 'the best of the best' en route to a ring and came out on top multiple times each?

Kobe vs Jordan = they cancel each other (really dont wanna get into that conversation)
nah. this is a 29 year old jordan vs a 34 year old kobe.

they aren't cancelling each other out

Back
Top Bottom