Kobe advises '12 team would beat Dream Team

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Originally Posted by SN Souljah

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Reggie's up there in this category.

In the 1993-94 season when Jordan retired, a sophmore Latrell Sprewell made the all-NBA 1st team. A 28 year-old healty Reggier Miller who played all but 3 games that season didn't even make the all-NBA third team. People forget that at his very peak, Reggie Miller barely cracked a top 15 in the league list. He was an all-star 5 times in a 18 season career, a number too small considering the rep he has now. He made the all-NBA third team three times and that was it. Averaged around 3-3.5 rebounds and 3-3.5 assists. Everyone knows about the big shots he hit, and you'd be a moron not to want him on your team for the last shot. But over an entire game, he was overrated.

Reggie Miller was playing during the golden era of the nba. He dominated, several games, that mattered. Need I bring up 3 point stats?Only an all star 5 time?lol.....there are 15 players in the top 50 list that don't have that. Many appearances.

The entire Madison Square Garden would agree that he was dominant

Originally Posted by scoop99

Originally Posted by goukiteg

Originally Posted by solarius49

Originally Posted by TheGoldenChild

do you consider pippen a better defender than jordan?
absolutely, and a much better matchup size wise.  Pippen is the most versatile defender the NBA has seen.
11 All Defensive 1st Teams

4 All Defensive 2nd teams

2 All Defensive 3rd teams

plus he was 6'8, 210.  He would be giving up some weight, but he was incredibly strong and athletic.  Pippen is also the only player to record 200 steals and 100 blocks in the same season
Hakeem had 200+ Steals and Blocks in a single season.
And Jordan did it twice.

Except that he didn't. Nobody else did.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Originally Posted by SN Souljah

Originally Posted by prison mike

Kill yourself 10 times.

Reggie's up there in this category.

In the 1993-94 season when Jordan retired, a sophmore Latrell Sprewell made the all-NBA 1st team. A 28 year-old healty Reggier Miller who played all but 3 games that season didn't even make the all-NBA third team. People forget that at his very peak, Reggie Miller barely cracked a top 15 in the league list. He was an all-star 5 times in a 18 season career, a number too small considering the rep he has now. He made the all-NBA third team three times and that was it. Averaged around 3-3.5 rebounds and 3-3.5 assists. Everyone knows about the big shots he hit, and you'd be a moron not to want him on your team for the last shot. But over an entire game, he was overrated.

Reggie Miller was playing during the golden era of the nba. He dominated, several games, that mattered. Need I bring up 3 point stats?Only an all star 5 time?lol.....there are 15 players in the top 50 list that don't have that. Many appearances.

And there are way more than 15 who have as many or more all-star appearances outside of it. Also, I'd wager that a good chunk of those 15 played in the ABA for several years.

Being a 5 time all-star is definitely impressive. Just not for someone who is considered as legendary as Reggie Miller. Especially considering the fact that he was lucky enough to avoid injuries. He missed like 15-20 games over the entire 90s. He simply wasn't ever considered a truly elite player due to his one-dimensionality. I bet that the vast majority of people on this forum who haven't really followed basketball when Reggie played have no idea that you can easily name at least 10 players that were better than Reggie at ANY point of his career. I'm talking the very apex of his career, whenever you consider that to be. Probably more than 10. It's a travesty that he is remembered more than Mitch Richmond just for hitting some big shots, when Mitch was simply a better player.

And Jordan did it twice.

Except that he didn't. Nobody else did.
Except he did. Twice...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_records

[h2]
  • Most consecutive points in a regular season game
  • 26 by Carmelo Anthony, Denver Nuggets (vs. Minnesota Timberwolves), December 10, 2008
  • Largest attendance at a game
  • Regular season or Playoffs: 62,046 on March 27, 1998, Chicago Bulls at the Atlanta Hawks in the Georgia Dome. This was one of the last regular season games Michael Jordan played before his 2nd retirement.
  • Only player to record a double-triple-double (20+ in any 3 stats)
  • Wilt Chamberlain had 22 points, 25 rebounds, and 21 assists on February 4, 1968
  • Quadruple-doubles (10+ in any 4 stats)
  • Nate Thurmond, October 18, 1974, Chicago Bulls vs. Atlanta Hawks; 22 points, 14 rebounds, 13 assists, 12 blocks.
  • Alvin Robertson, February 18, 1986, San Antonio Spurs vs. Phoenix Suns; 20 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 steals.
  • Hakeem Olajuwon, March 29, 1990, Houston Rockets vs. Milwaukee Bucks; 18 points, 16 rebounds, 10 assists, 11 blocks.
  • David Robinson, February 17, 1994, San Antonio Spurs vs. Detroit Pistons; 34 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 blocks.
  • Only player to ever record two 40+ totals in the same game
  • Wilt Chamberlain (40+ for both points and rebounds, achieved eight times)
  • Only player to average 40+ and 50+ points in a season
  • Wilt Chamberlain
  • Most seasons with 40+ points per game
  • 2 by Wilt Chamberlain
  • Most consecutive seasons with 40+ points per game
  • 2 by Wilt Chamberlain
  • Most seasons with 30+ points per game
  • 8 by Michael Jordan
  • Most consecutive seasons with 30+ points per game
  • 7 by Wilt Chamberlain and Michael Jordan
  • Only player to average 30+ points, 20+ rebounds in a season
  • Wilt Chamberlain (7 times)
  • Most seasons with 30+ points, 20+ rebounds per game
  • 7 by Wilt Chamberlain
  • Most consecutive seasons with 30+ points, 20+ rebounds per game
  • 7 by Wilt Chamberlain
  • Most consecutive seasons with 20+ points, 10+ rebounds
  • 13 by Shaquille O'Neal
  • Most seasons with 20+ rebounds per game
  • 10 by Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain
  • Most consecutive seasons with 20+ rebounds per game
  • 10 by Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain
  • Only players to average 30+ points and 10+ assists in a season
  • Only player to lead the league in scoring and assists in the same season
  • Nate Archibald (Kansas City–Omaha Kings, 1972–73)
  • Most blocks by a guard (career)
  • 893 by Michael Jordan
  • Most blocks by a guard (season)
  • 131 by Michael Jordan in the 1987–88 season
  • Only players to record 200 steals and 100 blocks in the same season
  • Michael Jordan (Chicago Bulls, 1986–87, 1987–88)
    pimp.gif
  • Hakeem Olajuwon (Houston Rockets, 1988–89)
  • Scottie Pippen (Chicago Bulls, 1989–90)
[/h2]

Originally Posted by solarius49

absolutely, and a much better matchup size wise.  Pippen is the most versatile defender the NBA has seen.
11 All Defensive 1st Teams

4 All Defensive 2nd teams

2 All Defensive 3rd teams

plus he was 6'8, 210.  He would be giving up some weight, but he was incredibly strong and athletic.  Pippen is also the only player to record 200 steals and 100 blocks in the same season
And Jordan did it twice.

200+ blocks and 200+ steals is what he meant.  Olajuwon is the only player to ever accomplish that feat.

Originally Posted by ItsaBayThang

And Jordan did it twice.

200+ blocks and 200+ steals is what he meant.  Olajuwon is the only player to ever accomplish that feat.
Yeah my bad, I misunderstood that, at least you guys get to look at some amazing stats
roll.gif

Kobe also said that he and the Lakers were going to win the championship this year, this clown has been proven to be FRAUD status for the longest time now. 

Okay, take out Bird and Christian Laettner.

Ewing/Robinson destroys Tyson.

Don't even make me go there with the power forwards. Barkley and Malone will make Griffin/Melo/Durant cry

Ok, so people are saying Dream team can't defend the 2012 team. But the 2012 team can't guard the 1992 team. BUT the frontline is just too one sided for the 1992 team.

I really don't think it's that close of a contest

I'm on pg. 5 right now but ya'll are hanging your hats on Westbrook as the most athletic of this current squad, he doesn't even start on this team. You also know that he is a nut-case, he is one aggressive elbow from '92 Barkley from imploding. IMO, this isn't even the 2nd best Olympic team. '96 has that honor. 2012 couldn't even beat 2008's team. What about K.D. you say? I think we just saw the answer to that in this year's finals. Lebron shut him down. Kobe( mind you, is my favorite current player today) isn't guarding MJ in 92. MJ was in his prime, and had Westbrook's quickness in a 6'6" frame. We all know Kobe can't check Westbrook right now. Hell, 2012 Kobe would have problems with 2008 Kobe. So he is not checking Jordan. I know it's all hypothetical and it's an interesting conversation but I don't think this team has a chance. There isn't anyone on this squad that has anything for the front line of '92. They had 11 hall of famers,(don't forget Mullin) and yes he was that good, when he wasn't drunk. I think we aren't giving the Dream Team enough credit. Yes they blew away some pretty awful teams. But I also think they had the talent to play any way they needed to, to win in any situation. They didn't kill everyone with crazy athleticism, because they didn't need to. It doesn't mean they didn't have the ability to.

Having witnessed the 1992 Dream Team 20 years ago, it was obvious that every game was a lopsided game. As expected, lead was always 40+ pts. I'm pretty sure, they didn't play 100% full, championship performance. But imagine if they did.

Now, 1992 vs 2012.

Athleticism, basketball IQ, & experience were the core factors which people like me considered the winning points of the Dream team. In terms of athleticism, I give it the 2012 Team (I think Clyde couldn't make a Between the legs dunk like Griffin lol).. But mentally, Michael & others are on a different level.

Playoff & Championship experience wise, only Kobe & Lebron are legitimately qualified for the current team on one hand. KD's performance during the finals exposed the drawback of his youthfulness (inexperienced). On the other hand, MJ, Pippen, Magic & Bird have been tested to stand out among the best. After the Olympics, Barkley got his West Champ Ring. Clyde also got his ring, David too. Ewing also had his chance. The point is, they too were on the caliber of proving themselves to be champions after the Barcelona games.

Being a basketball fan for almost 25 years now, w/o looking at stats, I can clearly say which team has the upper hand. But I'm still thankful that the greats of before have their counterparts in today's game.

if i could combine the redeem team and the 2012 team and add rose... i think they can beat the dream team..

2012 < 2008. 2008 could beat 1992 probably in a 7 game series. Dwight can cause problems in defending Pat and David
but the real advantage of team 2012 is LeBron, Wade, Kobe (around Jordan's age and the league MVP) basically their wing
is awesome with a HOFer in Jason Kidd as the PG. c'mon. That would be a 6 game series AT LEAST.

And please, don't use the "league is soft nowadays and calls ticky tac fouls"
they will play under FIBA rules with FIBA refs, not in the NBA.

Team Select beat Team USA in a couple of scrimmages. Not one, but two or three times says Kyrie Irving. One was where Kyrie scored 11 of his teams 14 buckets. Magic would embarass this team if a 20 yr old Kyrie could.

Originally Posted by gllahone84

Originally Posted by DMan14

dudes take this way too seriously. what are we gonna argue next? ali vs. tyson
laugh.gif

I guess you don't remember the Bruce Lee vs. Tyson thread from years ago in General
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

if i could combine the redeem team and the 2012 team and add rose... i think they can beat the dream team..

well yea. you'd have two LeBrons, Melos, Durants, etc.

Originally Posted by Stillmatic23

Team Select beat Team USA in a couple of scrimmages. Not one, but two or three times says Kyrie Irving. One was where Kyrie scored 11 of his teams 14 buckets. Magic would embarass this team if a 20 yr old Kyrie could.
The Dream team lost to a college all star team in scrimmage too.

Back
Top Bottom