**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

We have 90,000+ deaths with people semi following stay at home orders.

Now we about to re-open things, and the numbers are about to blow up. This is really, really, really stupid. :frown: :smh:
Yup. 90k deaths now. 135k by Aug 1. And 1M+ by the end of it all. Reopening things is incredibly foolish and reckless.

However most of my frustration is directed at state/federal governments. America continues to be a clownshow with no national plan in place on PPE, contact tracing, testing etc. You have idiotic states like AZ and FL who are moving to/have reopened many high risk areas/businesses like fitness centers, restaurants, public pools etc.

Resuming sports is not advisable and I personally don’t think the risk/reward is there. Risking people’s health and the health of their families for entertainment? Really?

But with that being said, we need to open up low-risk areas to facilitate herd immunity. A vaccine isn’t coming. And the Fed gov is incompetent and has thrown in the towel on stopping the spread. Reopening the NBa, although not smart, poses much less potential mortality than reopening barbershops, salons, gyms, restaurants etc.

So while I disagree with resuming sports play at this moment — not until we have robust national testing and contact tracing in place and a Rt under 1— it isn’t necessarily the worst thing if we’re tryna get to herd immunity (estimated only 5% of population has been infected. FAR from the 70% we need to reach herd immunity).

Yup. 90k deaths now. 135k by Aug 1. And 1M+ by the end of it all. Reopening things is incredibly foolish and reckless.

However most of my frustration is directed at state/federal governments. America continues to be a clownshow with no national plan in place on PPE, contact tracing, testing etc. You have idiotic states like AZ and FL who are moving to/have reopened many high risk areas/businesses like fitness centers, restaurants, public pools etc.

Resuming sports is not advisable and I personally don’t think the risk/reward is there. Risking people’s health and the health of their families for entertainment? Really?

But with that being said, we need to open up low-risk areas to facilitate herd immunity. A vaccine isn’t coming. And the Fed gov is incompetent and has thrown in the towel on stopping the spread. Reopening the NBa, although not smart, poses much less potential mortality than reopening barbershops, salons, gyms, restaurants etc.

So while I disagree with resuming sports play at this moment — not until we have robust national testing and contact tracing in place and a Rt under 1— it isn’t necessarily the worst thing if we’re tryna get to herd immunity (estimated only 5% of population has been infected. FAR from the 70% we need to reach herd immunity).

you think we’ll see a million deaths in this country? Lol we’re at 90K now and it’s slowed down considerably

you think we’ll see a million deaths in this country? Lol we’re at 90K now and it’s slowed down considerably
Ya I didn’t wanna say anything lol. How you go from 90 to 135 in 2 months and then have exponential increase thereafter til a vaccine is expected about a year from onset (December -feb ish)

or maybe the 1 million was worldwide.
Still. Great post regardless

Yeah it’s possible. It’s a heuristic for the whole epidemic, not just the calendar-year

If herd immunity (~70% infected) comes before a vaccine then I believe (based on current data) we’ll see upwards of 1M deaths.

Current case fatality rate is 5.96% meaning for every 100 identified cases, 6 die. However I believe (and this is entirely my assumption) that we have about 10x underreporting of cases due to lack of testing.

So in actuality it’s probably closer to 1000 (100 x 10 underreporting factor) cases and 6 deaths for an infection fatality rate of 0.596%.

If 70% of population (230M) gets it then you could expect .596% to die or 1.36M.

Of course, if you believe that 10x figure is too high, more will be expected to die. If you think 10x is too low, you can expect less deaths.

Last edited:
GettyImages-1126529133.jpg

Yeah it’s possible. It’s a heuristic for the whole epidemic, not just the calendar-year

If herd immunity (~70% infected) comes before a vaccine then I believe (based on current data) we’ll see upwards of 1M deaths.

Current case fatality rate is 5.96% meaning for every 100 identified cases, 6 die. However I believe (and this is entirely my assumption) that we have about 10x underreporting of cases due to lack of testing.

So in actuality it’s probably closer to 1000 (100 x 10 underreporting factor) cases and 6 deaths for an infection fatality rate of 0.596%.

If 70% of population (230M) gets it then you could expect .596% to die or 1.36M.

Of course, if you believe that 10x figure is too high, more will be expected to die. If you think 10x is too low, you can expect less deaths.

images

I haven't lived in Cali since 2013 and haven't listened to KROQ since middle school but this makes me sad to read.

Yeah man they did everyone dirty there on the morning show. Fired them all without warning. I used to listen everyday.

Birth of a dynasty chapters 3 & 4 are playing right now on the Lakers channel Spectrum Sportnet.

Watching Phil, Kobe, Shaq, Jalen Rose, and Gary Vitti talk about game 2 2000 Finals when JRose admits to intentionally stepping under jump shot and caused Kobe's bad ankle sprain that caused him to miss Game 3.

Last edited:
I remember studying for exams in grad school and watching video mixtapes of Kobe’s highlights to get motivated before my long study sessions

more than an athlete for sure.
|l

Last edited:
We don't know how it's going to look once the season starts back up but it seems as if they are going to keep seeding the same and maybe do some sort of play in for the 8th seed.

I hope the standings stay. We wouldn't see the Clippers till the WCF and have kinda of an easier road to the WCF.

Back
Top Bottom