**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

All the Lakers wanted was a 2nd rd pick for Nick. Nobody wanted to give it up. Do not do it. This year is an anomaly. Last time he had a contract year he shot 39% from 3. Then promptly went back to 37% and 33% and that was on less attempts.

Like I said I'm fine having him back on a 1 year overpay to see if this season isn't a fluke.
while the percentages are fact

he was also playing under byron, not luke who has let him be him. completely new system that allows guys to chuck it

like i said, his production is bound to dip, but his shooting is a commodity

while the percentages are fact
he was also playing under byron, not luke who has let him be him. completely new system that allows guys to chuck it
like i said, his production is bound to dip, but his shooting is a commodity

He's been in the league 11 years if he finishes this year over 40% from 3 it'll be only the 3rd time his career and 1st since 2010. His shooting is a commodity, not at a premium long term cost though especially with the other deals we have right now.

Still haven't heard any ideas on how to replace him

Reading comprehension I already said I'm fine bringing him back next year on a 1 year deal. You don't have to replace him for next year, plus get to evaluate if he'll be consistent.

Do wonder with D'Lo, Randle and PG all sharing the same agent it creates a situation where the agent doesn't want D'Lo and/or Randle to be marginalized (with their first big pay days looming)and PG wants his Bird Rights with the Lakers, he just initiates a trade between the Lakers and Pacers over the summer.

And if/when it's a 3 year deal then what? You're gonna be begging for Mitch to come back

I'll rail against the deal just as I did Mosgov or Deng. I'm not married to a front office and have to defend every stupid thing they do like some people.

Do wonder with D'Lo, Randle and PG all sharing the same agent it creates a situation where the agent doesn't want D'Lo and/or Randle to be marginalized (with their first big pay days looming)and PG wants his Bird Rights with the Lakers, he just initiates a trade between the Lakers and Pacers over the summer.

He better not. That's Melo all over again. Bird isn't gonna give him away, and trading away Ingram/Top 3/Clarkson for PG is just a waste of potential. I know he wants his bird rights and all that, but he's gotta be smarter than that. If he wants to win someday, gutting the team he's tryin to move to is not the answer.

At that point if PG lets Bird know he's out and only wants to go to LA, Bird doesn't operate from a position of leverage anymore and can't really ask for the moon. That's when you come in and fleece him. You offer the lesser pieces in Randle and Clarkson and maybe try to attach an expiring deal while keeping your core of D'Lo/top 3/BI/Zu/Nance. You don't gut the team and PG13 wins as well. That's something an agent would likely do so in expecting them to explore that possibility this summer. And it also will look better as we go into FA to already have him I tow.

At that point if PG lets Bird know he's out and only wants to go to LA, Bird doesn't operate from a position of leverage anymore and can't really ask for the moon. That's when you come in and fleece him. You offer the lesser pieces in Randle and Clarkson and maybe try to attach an expiring deal while keeping your core of D'Lo/top 3/BI/Zu/Nance. You don't gut the team and PG13 wins as well. That's something an agent would likely do so in expecting them to explore that possibility this summer. And it also will look better as we go into FA to already have him I tow.

That's what Melo did, 2 months before he could have signed, still cost the Knicks heavily.

And what expiring do we have to offer Bird? Corey Brewer? Clarkson has 3 more years after this one, Bird doesn't want that. So if it's Randle, you're going to just give him away to get a guy you can sign a year later? (with the same agent for both?)

Bird is asking for Ingram and/or the Top 3. Bird is smart enough to know it would be better to bottom out completely and let George walk than take on lesser middling parts that stick him in mediocrity forever.

Last edited:
That's what Melo did, 2 months before he could have signed, still cost the Knicks heavily.

And what expiring do we have to offer Bird? Corey Brewer? Clarkson has 3 more years after this one, Bird doesn't want that. So if it's Randle, you're going to just give him away to get a guy you can sign a year later? (with the same agent for both?)

Bird is asking for Ingram and/or the Top 3. Bird is smart enough to know it would be better to bottom out completely and let George walk than take on lesser middling parts that stick him in mediocrity forever.

We'll see. Indiana is a small market. Not sure the fanbase will take bottoming out with getting nothing in return. They can acquire young talent to build around Turner and still be bad enough to have a top pick. That would seem to be a better play. Randle is not a deal breaker especially with him having to start getting paid big money after next season and I like Nance better anyway as being a lower usage but still effective player.

I mean if we're going by what was rumored yesterday a package of Bradley/Crowder or Smart looks eerily similar to Clarkson/Randle and if PG gives him the ultimatum we won't have to give a top pick to get him, the HOU pick may be enough.

Ideally you're right in a prefect world we could wait, but unlike Melo there's still a lot of young talent and the top end guys still on the Lakers unlike the Knicks.

Last edited:

We'll see. Indiana is a small market. Not sure the fanbase will take bottoming out with getting nothing in return. They can acquire young talent to build around Turner and still be bad enough to have a top pick. That would seem to be a better play. Randle is not a deal breaker especially with him having to start getting paid big money after next season and I like Nance better anyway as being a lower usage but still effective player.

Right, hear ya on the fanbase, but you're Bird.

Lakers want to keep DLo, Clarkson, Randle, BI, and Top 3. (I assume Zubac as well)

MAYBE they would part with Nance and Houston pick. Throw in Black I guess. You might start there if you're Bird.

You don't want Moz or Deng.

You don't want Brewer.

2020 would be the earliest pick you can offer on top of Nance/Houston pick.

Are you taking that, as Bird?

I haven't even got to the need more money to balance the trade part of the equation yet.

Black, Nance, Houston pick in 2017, and our 2020 pick. (plus gonna need some more money, likely Brewer I suppose)

You doin that, as Bird?

And remember, as Magic, you're still giving away this depth for no real reason. You could simply sign George, and keep all these bench assets. Glue guys, injury protections, etc.

I think the focus on keeping the young guys breaks down like this:
Untouchables
BI
Top 3
D'Lo
Zu

Touchables
Nance
Clarkson
Randle

They aren't going to try and bring in only PG13 whether it's this summer or next. They're going to try and get someone else too.

Clarkson is making real money now (although it be somewhat of a bargain). Randle will be shortly. If we didn't have those Mosgov and Deng deals I'd be 100% on board with you but alas this is the hand we've been dealt.

Last edited:
I think the focus on keeping the young guys breaks down like this:
Untouchables
BI
Top 3
D'Lo
Zu

Touchables
Nance
Clarkson
Randle

They aren't going to try and bring in only PG13 whether it's this summer or next. They're going to try and get someone else too.

Clarkson is making real money now (although it be somewhat of a bargain). Randle will be shortly. If we didn't have those Mosgov and Deng deals I'd be 100% on board with you but alas this is the hand we've been dealt.

I agree, when/if we do land PG, I do agree they will try to flip 2-3 for another star. We're on the same page there. I personally feel you gotta have PG in hand first tho, but not by dealing for him, because they you deal MORE parts, for the 2nd player. One of em gotta come for free, ya know? (free being a huge 4 year contract, but I mean at least no one having to go out in exchange)

But you're not us and you're not gonna defend bad moves..

Have they done any in the past week? No. And if something similar goes down where we get to keep all our untouchables and get a star, I seriously doubt the masses will perceive that as a bad move. I can almost bet the same ones defending the deals from this past summer will though.

I agree, when/if we do land PG, I do agree they will try to flip 2-3 for another star. We're on the same page there. I personally feel you gotta have PG in hand first tho, but not by dealing for him, because they you deal MORE parts, for the 2nd player. One of em gotta come for free, ya know? (free being a huge 4 year contract, but I mean at least no one having to go out in exchange)

We're really looking at the same thing though just in reverse. My thinking is this. You get PG 1st, it's easier to get a Westbrook/Boogie, etc to come as the free agent. And you still have your main core guys either way.

Also having PG's Bird rights given our current cap situation going into next summer is advantageous. As will dealing Randle before he reaches RFA.

Last edited:
pmatic pmatic or essential1 essential1

Where would I look to find the potential starting salaries/cap holds of PG13, Randle, Westbrook, Cousins etc. in 2018?

Last edited:
Have they done any in the past week? No. And if something similar goes down where we get to keep all our untouchables and get a star, I seriously doubt the masses will perceive that as a bad move. I can almost bet the same ones defending the deals from this past summer will though.

Remind me your stance on trading for cousins at the deadline?

Back
Top Bottom