**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Lakers
It’s almost as if the destructively bad Russell Westbrook trade with Washington liberated the Lakers from just chasing after shiny objects and allowed them to operate like a real front office. Ever since, it’s been a series of shrewd decisions by L.A., starting with this summer’s choice to not go diving in after Kyrie Irving and instead bringing back most of the roster that went to last season’s Western Conference finals.

In a bout of unsexy team-building that nonetheless positions L.A. to contend in the West, the Lakers brought back D’Angelo Russell (two years, $35 million), Austin Reaves (four years, $56 million) and Rui Hachimura (three years, $51 million), which was largely expected. They helped themselves by grabbing point guard Gabe Vincent (three years, $33 million) to replace the departed Dennis Schröder and added stretch four Taurean Prince to replace the more offensively limited Troy Brown Jr.

The Lakers also took two shots by agreeing to minimum deals with a second-year player option for Cam Reddish and Jaxson Hayes. In particular, I would keep my eyes on Hayes, who gives them more athletic pop at backup five than they had a year ago.

One other note: It appears the Lakers set up their contracts to come exactly to the luxury-tax line and no further. If second-round pick Max Lewis signs for the minimum and the Lakers add another backup five on a minimum deal, they would have the required 14 players under contract and be right at the tax line.

Need Max Christie to show out so much today that we get another one of these by halftime

1688412807276.gif

Lakers
It’s almost as if the destructively bad Russell Westbrook trade with Washington liberated the Lakers from just chasing after shiny objects and allowed them to operate like a real front office. Ever since, it’s been a series of shrewd decisions by L.A., starting with this summer’s choice to not go diving in after Kyrie Irving and instead bringing back most of the roster that went to last season’s Western Conference finals.

In a bout of unsexy team-building that nonetheless positions L.A. to contend in the West, the Lakers brought back D’Angelo Russell (two years, $35 million), Austin Reaves (four years, $56 million) and Rui Hachimura (three years, $51 million), which was largely expected. They helped themselves by grabbing point guard Gabe Vincent (three years, $33 million) to replace the departed Dennis Schröder and added stretch four Taurean Prince to replace the more offensively limited Troy Brown Jr.

The Lakers also took two shots by agreeing to minimum deals with a second-year player option for Cam Reddish and Jaxson Hayes. In particular, I would keep my eyes on Hayes, who gives them more athletic pop at backup five than they had a year ago.

One other note: It appears the Lakers set up their contracts to come exactly to the luxury-tax line and no further. If second-round pick Max Lewis signs for the minimum and the Lakers add another backup five on a minimum deal, they would have the required 14 players under contract and be right at the tax line.

Tax line

Just as I have been saying. That’s an undercover win

Not that I care for ownerships money but avoid repeater tax means they don’t do something dumb next year or year after with money. Plus they stay as far away from hardcap as humanly possible in case a game changing trade that takes in more salary comes up so again…underrated aspect.

With that said, they aren’t using Beasley’s bird rights bc anything more than min is over tax situation. Also I wonder if they wait to see how Castleton plays bc his 950k salary would be seen as a huge plus if his replacement would be marginal improvement. Also I wonder if Tristan agrees to a non-guarenteed deal a la Howard in 2020 that it changes the math for the lakers in deciding Mo vs Tristan

Last edited:
Example number 862679 why people need to stop taking these ESPN personalities so seriously… they say things just to get reactions

Grizzlies a bigger threat over Lakers because they added Smart and old *** D Rose 😂

If they're healthy by the playoffs that's not a off the wall take at all. Smart is an upgrade over Brooks, maybe Rose is the mentor Ja needs and they get Adams and Clarke back, they're as formidable as anyone.

“I love what the Grizzles did”

Looks at 2024-25 salaries. Sees Desmond Bane’s expected salary. Closes laptop. Runs away.

I think they’re better because Brooks was a distraction. Addition by subtraction. But they actually still somehow increased their inefficiencies.

Defensively, they’re better with Smart. Still don’t think they’re the team to fear yet.

If they're healthy by the playoffs that's not a off the wall take at all. Smart is an upgrade over Brooks, maybe Rose is the mentor Ja needs and they get Adams and Clarke back, they're as formidable as anyone.
Memphis didn’t really do much to address their issues scoring in the half court or lack of wings… they can play a 3 guard lineup with Ja Bane Smart JJJ and Adam’s if they want but that doesn’t move me at all. They’re still not better than the Lakers

Not that they didn’t improve…but the greatest threat to the Nuggets in the west is ridiculous

One of the hindsight mistakes for lakers was trading for mo Bamba instead of Plumlee.
You think Mitch and MJ were gonna take Pat Beverley instead of Reggie Jackson?

Lakers had little to no chance to get Plumlee. Mitch probably hung up on Rob as soon as Rob offered Pat Bev and Juan Toscano as the centerpieces LOL

You think Mitch and MJ were gonna take Pat Beverley instead of Reggie Jackson?

Lakers had little to no chance to get Plumlee. Mitch probably hung up on Rob as soon as Rob offered Pat Bev and Juan Toscano as the centerpieces LOL
Reggie was waived. Hornets did it for the 2nd round pick.

Example number 862679 why people need to stop taking these ESPN personalities so seriously… they say things just to get reactions

Grizzlies a bigger threat over Lakers because they added Smart and old *** D Rose 😂

Now add the two key bigs Adams and Clarke for the postseason run, plus add Smart and Rose to that locker room, and what you get is a bonafide Western Conference contender.

The mere presence of Adams and Clarke automatically brings Jaren Jackson to another level as far as impact concerned.

But what the hell do we know, Adams could get hurt again, Smart could be just as much a distraction as Brooks and that could spell the end of MEM :lol:

Memphis gonna get off to a slow start
But if they’ll be a solid threat in the playoffs

Granted ja keeps the safety on :stoneface:

rose mentoring ja? 🤣 better chance of will smith mentoring ynw melly

I found out that when you’re a tax team- if you offer a 2 year vet minimum- then the league DOES NOT subsidize half of the tax money like they do for one year vet min deals.

So if lakers ultimately become a tax team later, then reddish and hayes 2 year vet min deals tax money is all paid by lakers. That means lakers really liked those two to offer them that second year and or they are nearly positive they ain’t doing taxes this year.

Suns basically gave most of their vet mins two yesr deals so Ishbia has humongous balls man.

Now add the two key bigs Adams and Clarke for the postseason run, plus add Smart and Rose to that locker room, and what you get is a bonafide Western Conference contender.

The mere presence of Adams and Clarke automatically brings Jaren Jackson to another level as far as impact concerned.
1688419197798.gif

None of that moves me at all… Lakers in 4

If we get the the finals and Milwaukee is there...they would have the advantage with the bigs....

Robin Lopez done being an on the court player, but I thought he would be a good vibes guy in the locker room. Can't really afford that though with AD and Bron being so injury prone.

Grizzles automatically lose Ja for 25 games off top. He’ll likely miss at least another 10 on top of that for rest and minor tweaks.

That’s as if Ja has a 2 months of the season.

Have no expectations for Reddish, but he should be working closely with DeMarre Carroll. Carroll was a limited player but carved out a 11 year career playing a role. Leave the isos to Rui and Phil Handy. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom