**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Down 0-2 to the defending champs, also from the western conference?
*2004 has entered the chat*

Yep. Back then GP finally put Tony Parker on his back. We need someone like zero points Gabe or Spencer to clobber Murray and get ejected. Send a message like we did to Tony Parker :lol: (I’m kidding)

Let's just take a gander at Mile Malone, shall we? :nerd:

Screenshot_20240424-125343.png

Below .500
Below .500 (fired)
Below .500
Below .500

Suddenly 10 games above .500 (but still missed playoffs)

Been a top tier team ever since.

Anyone care to guess the year Jokic and Murray became full time starters? :nerd: (at age 22 and 20, respectively)

I guess Mike really "figured out" all his timeout usages, and rotations and such. :wink:

People thought the Kings were outta their mind when they fired Malone. And he had the young Nuggets in the playoff race by his second year (lost to the Thunder on the last day of the season on that ridiculous Westbrook buzzer beater).

People thought the Kings were outta their mind when they fired Malone. And he had the young Nuggets in the playoff race by his second year (lost to the Thunder on the last day of the season on that ridiculous Westbrook buzzer beater).

Yup yup.

10 years an asst, 4 straight years w a losing record, and nothin but winning since.

Wonder what he improved on, suddenly.

Big mystery. Hope I figure it out someday..... :D

Coaching means nothing that's why Del Harris won with Kobe and Shaq...oh wait

or

Stan Van Gundy took Wade and Shaq to the promised land...my bad that was Riles.

Coaching 'can' absolutely be the difference when teams of similar talent matchup and/or teams of slightly lesser talent can be schemed to an advantage at times.

To say it has no effect on the game is being disingenuous CP. Obviously the players and overall talent is what drives most success, but it's more than just a suit. We've seen a number of examples of teams actively underachieving with great talent b/c a coach can't make adjustments or push the right buttons for the team. Doc Rivers being a prime example with how so many of his former players talk about him. It matters.

On the margins, is the head coach a positive/neutral or negative?

I have no problem admitting the personnel/talent can dictate the outcome of a team's outlook, but the margins absolutely matter.

Edit:

Personally, I'm not going to lay this series on Ham if the team loses. But the season is on him for failing to optimize the talent and leading the un-serious basketball.

Last edited:
Coaching means nothing that's why Del Harris won with Kobe and Shaq...oh wait

You mean, rookie 18 year old Kobe? :rofl:

Malone record right there WITH Baby Jokic and Baby Murray. Once they grow up a lil the same suit starts winning.

Del stays on the sidelines and 20-21-22 Kobe comes along, Del suddenly becomes a better coach. Magically.

Put Mike Malone on the Pistons tomorrow, I bet everything I have we can beat the Pistons. :lol:

Doc Rivers being a prime example with how so many of his former players talk about him. It matters.

Great example. He won a title vs Phil Jackson.

All he needed was to add Prime KG and Ray Allen along with Prime Paul Pierce, suddenly Doc was a Championship head coach. Same suit he was before and after that group.

Thank you for helping me make my point. 👍

On the margins, is the head coach a positive/neutral or negative?

I have no problem admitting the personnel/talent can dictate the outcome of a team's outlook, but the margins absolutely matter.

Edit:

Personally, I'm not going to lay this series on Ham if the team loses. But the season is on him for failing to optimize the talent and leading the un-serious basketball.

Mike Brown
MDA
Byron
Luke
Vogel
Ham

Laker fans been blaming suits every single season since 2011.

That 2011 season, I remember thinking what a magical playoff run that Dallas Head Coach had. Beating LA, OKC, and the Heat. He was simply incredible. Historic even.

You mean, rookie 18 year old Kobe? :rofl:

Malone record right there WITH Baby Jokic and Baby Murray. Once they grow up a lil the same suit starts winning.

Del stays on the sidelines and 20-21-22 Kobe comes along, Del suddenly becomes a better coach. Magically.

Put Mike Malone on the Pistons tomorrow, I bet everything I have we can beat the Pistons. :lol:

Disregard the fact that Kobe hated Harris for not playing him which again kinda leans to P's point of the margins. Something as simple as recognizing talent and giving them more opportunity or to be inexplicably married to a marginal player when someone clearly is a better fit for the team overall, it can be the difference between success and failure. Harris had the guy for 3 seasons. Or hell Magic and Paul Westphal, like it's well documented within this very franchise.

We both agree talent is what matters the most, which is why your analogy with the Pistons doesn't work; their terrible. But coaching absolutely can be the difference between a team sustaining success and not being as far along as you should be.

Westphal literally won a Championship. :lol:

And I am not blaming a coach for not playing a teenager. Christ, teenage LeBron missed the playoffs for two years before he grew up.

Wemby is about to fold the God damn sport, and he ain't sniff the playoffs.

2 years from now "suddenly" Pop will be great at coaching again. :rofl: :rofl:

Westphal literally won a Championship. :lol:

And I am not blaming a coach for not playing a teenager. Christ, teenage LeBron missed the playoffs for two years before he grew up.

Wemby is about to fold the God damn sport, and he ain't sniff the playoffs.

2 years from now "suddenly" Pop will be great at coaching again. :rofl: :rofl:

Being a good or great coach isn't a 1 year deal man c'mon same way as having one great season doesn't make a player an all timer.

Mike Malone led Monday nights game for 44 seconds and won.
Darvin Ham led Monday nights game for 45+ minutes and lost.

Steve Kerr was winning playoff games from his couch in 2022.

#Margins

I wish Ham margin'd Bron to make a wide open 3 or Murray to not sink another fadeaway over AD at the buzzer. Malone was genius not calling a timeout or even running a set play....... :lol:

It's all result based narratives. Tis'all.

Let's just take a gander at Mile Malone, shall we? :nerd:

Screenshot_20240424-125343.png

Below .500
Below .500 (fired)
Below .500
Below .500

Suddenly 10 games above .500 (but still missed playoffs)

Been a top tier team ever since.

Anyone care to guess the year Jokic and Murray became full time starters? :nerd: (at age 22 and 20, respectively)

I guess Mike really "figured out" all his timeout usages, and rotations and such. :wink:
1713993136213.png

Keep an eye on this tomorrow night and you tell me if it ain’t PRIMARILY coaching with this Lakers team

I said it sounded like frustration with the boneheaded plays from Dlo, Rui, Prince and Austin in the 4th… LOL and I am the king of saying that exact thing when I play ball with guys who do stupid shhhht. When the wanna-be Curry guys who’s jumpers are more Vando-like pull up from 30 in a pickup run “hey is this what we doing?” That’s a warning that you ain’t getting a pass from me if that happens again.

Back
Top Bottom