[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
as long as we make the playoffs next year and wiggins shoots some potentially game winning airballs we are on the right track 

I truly can't believe people want to sit and bash an entire class.

Wiggins can't.....
Jabari won't......
Embiid already.....
Randle isn't......
Smart looks.....
Exum would......

*fill in negative excuse*

Not a single prospect in the whole class is gonna make it I guess. They'll all bust.

None of them will benefit from NBA nutrisionists. Tape study. Unlimited practice restrictions. Coaching. Player tutelage. Trainers.

Naw. Skills will just stay handcuffed to their college levels.

Anthony Davis won the title his Freshman year. He's ten times better now, 2 years later than he was while winning that title.

The NBA is your job. Your life. Your paycheck.

They will develop guys. Sorry to burst some bubbles, these kids will turn into fine NBA players. And we (the Lakers) will help them. Be it Kobe-Wiggins, Kareem-Embiid, Magic-Exum, our franchise will develop who we take.

Why do you think it bothers me so much to hear people say Jabari's "red flags" aren't likely to be fixed?

Defensive issues are apparent, but like you said they're so young... To say he has almost 0 chance of improving is crazy to me.

Were on the same boat bro, I believe these kids can progress and improve WITH THE RIGHT COACHING.

I'm disappointed In the performances from these studs but it doesn't change my belief that anyone can improve.

Like dude said, LeBron couldn't shoot a rock into the ocean. Now look at him. Not Ray Allen by any means but the improvement is astounding.

Coaching.
Hard work.
Talent.
Success.

So what you guys think of Randles game??
Not what he will be lol but his actual game.

He reminds me of Gibson from the Bulls kinda ...a straight work horse and bully in the paint.

Randle has some Z-Bo in his game the way he bullies his way to the paint and rebounds. Much better athlete though. I think he has a perimeter game too, but Calipari isn't letting him use it.

I worry about his shortish wingspan and if he can continue bullying dudes like he has his whole career in the NBA.

I can't stand Randle.
I don't know how to explain why but I would not be happy with him, at all.

I'm not Tryna build my team around Z-Bo's younger brother.

Yeah I mean, I don't like him not showing up on the big stage today but....

If you're a GM and you pass up on him with the 4th pick it's highly likely you'll be collecting unemployment checks a few years after :lol:

I don't know Randle is very very active

He belongs on the Bulls. Could you imagine Randle learning from Thibbs and Noah and Taj.

Randle would have a great career with the Bulls

What do you guys see in Wiggins? I ask this as a person who doesn't watch college ball. Give me specifics in his game that shows he has potential to become a star. I've seen his highlights and have watched some of his recent games and I haven't seen much. A lot of his points come off of dunks/hustle plays. Haven't seen much isolation type scores. Defensively he looks amazing. 

Keep in mind this is coming from a person who never watches college ball because it seems like such a chore to me. I always do hear things like the offense in Kansas holding him back that's why he stands out in the perimeter etc. I haven't seen much aggression

Yeah I mean, I don't like him not showing up on the big stage today but....

If you're a GM and you pass up on him with the 4th pick it's highly likely you'll be collecting unemployment checks a few years after :lol:

I'm just saying if he shows out in the tourny, then he doesn't drop to 4 :wink:

What do you guys see in Wiggins? I ask this as a person who doesn't watch college ball. Give me specifics in his game that shows he has potential to become a star. I've seen his highlights and have watched some of his recent games and I haven't seen much. A lot of his points come off of dunks/hustle plays. Haven't seen much isolation type scores. Defensively he looks amazing. 

Keep in mind this is coming from a person who never watches college ball because it seems like such a chore to me. I always do hear things like the offense in Kansas holding him back that's why he stands out in the perimeter etc. I haven't seen much aggression

First off, iso stuff won't fly in a college zone, 35 second shot clock environment.

But Wiggins has shown all the tools. He fills every stat in the box score. He can pass, rebound, athletic enough to block shots, get steals and still find ways to score the ball.

His footwork could use polish (hi Kobe) and he can improve his handles. If he does that, good luck. He will get crazy.

His jumper certainly can grow, but he has solid form.Bron had an ugly elbow sideways thing as a kid, but he corrected it thru work. Wiggins form is good, now he just needs a thousand makes a day for a few summers, and he'll be ready.

Defensively he can play. Smart, quick feet, can bounce twice while you bounce once (think Shawn Marion)

Quick feet, bounce, long arms, passing ability, timing to block shots, you can't teach that stuff. He has it, now he just needs to live in a gym and hone it all.

I don't need Bron. If he gives me Paul George 2.0 with fewer white women, he'll be set.

And BTW, George only 23, that kid still improving too. That should tell you where Wiggins ceiling can go. Now its up to him to work for it.

First off, iso stuff won't fly in a college zone, 35 second shot clock environment.

But Wiggins has shown all the tools. He fills every stat in the box score. He can pass, rebound, athletic enough to block shots, get steals and still find ways to score the ball.

His footwork could use polish (hi Kobe) and he can improve his handles. If he does that, good luck. He will get crazy.

His jumper certainly can grow, but he has solid form.Bron had an ugly elbow sideways thing as a kid, but he corrected it thru work. Wiggins form is good, now he just needs a thousand makes a day for a few summers, and he'll be ready.

Defensively he can play. Smart, quick feet, can bounce twice while you bounce once (think Shawn Marion)

Quick feet, bounce, long arms, passing ability, timing to block shots, you can't teach that stuff. He has it, now he just needs to live in a gym and hone it all.

I don't need Bron. If he gives me Paul George 2.0 with fewer white women, he'll be set.

And BTW, George only 23, that kid still improving too. That should tell you where Wiggins ceiling can go. Now its up to him to work for it.
All great points. How valid is the criticism of him loafing around? He doesn't seem to really want it from the few games I've seen. Sure, you can say look at a Tim Duncan, but when he plays you can tell he wants it. Definitely know this is nitpicking, but his desire to want to be great will be huge at the next level. The game today, would it have been possible for him to just attempt to be more aggressive, take more shots, take over to an extent or is that not in the college game? He only took 6 shots and the previous game a lot of his shots were simply dunks. 

I see the tools there, I just hope his head is in it and he doesn't get too comfortable. Look at Randle in this game, he's aggressive. Same with Jabari. 

Last edited:
No way for me personally to know if he's a dog for it or not. Have to check that in interviews, workouts, and his former coaches.

If he has that ethic, his tool box is full and he can be great.
If he has that ethic, but his tool box wasn't full, he'd be limited.
If he doesn't have that ethic, but his tool box is full, he can be Vince Carter.

:lol:

On this episode of This Old House with Bob Vila, we will talk about toolboxes. Is yours full? Or do you have the work ethic to make up for it?

My initial point was more that we don't know what type of NBA players these guys are going to turn out to be. Bad performances in the tourney or a few games doesn't correlate to a bust (James Harden, KD) and great preformances doesn't correlate to great NBA stardom (Tyler, JJ).

It's just too many factors and differences between NBA basketball and NCAA to do that, but physical attributes of certain guys can be seen and projections can be made on that at the very least.

Ramona Shelburne and JA Adande think the Lakers will trade the pick.

My opinion: it's stupid. Because you won't even get Kevin Love or Kyrie for it. And even if we could... It's still stupid.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom