**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Magic Is scheduled to be on First Take next week for all star weekend.

Why? He didn’t even say anything outta pocket and what’s 50k to them?

The money isn't the point. Which executive on any other team do you hear talking about other players? This dumb *** got popped twice. It just shows he doesn't know the rules.

Magic Is scheduled to be on First Take next week for all star weekend.

giphy.gif

Might as well just fine players and coaches for praising other players

Daryl Morey and Phil Jackson were always commenting on other players but no one blinked an eye

Just another witch hunt

The money isn't the point. Which executive on any other team do you hear talking about other players? This dumb *** got popped twice. It just shows he doesn't know the rules.

Kerr was fined for the same thing in the past. It probably happens more than it’s reported. Not that big of a deal. When it’s real tampering, you’ll have a complaint.

When did Phil get fined for talking about Bron?

Ireland was just saying how he’s interviewed Cuban, Gentry and many other coaches and GMs who praised Kobe Bryant when he played. They showered him with praise. How is this different?

They should just rest Zo until after the all star break at this point, my goodness

The only valid opinions on this tampering thing are the opinions of those that know specifically and exactly what the rules are, exactly how the rules are worded.

If you don't know, then you saying the league is overreacting or it's unfair or it's ridiculous, your opinion is null and void.

If I have a rule that ZERO profanity is allowed on my website and that is clearly stated, and I delete someone's account for saying 'damn', that would very well be called overreacting... and that would be inaccurate. It could be said that's ridiculous, but it is not unfair according to the rules. Calling it ridiculous simply means you don't like the rule, but you not liking a rule doesn't make it unfair.

I agree that what Magic said is EXTREMELY tame, but I don't know how the rule is written.

111. What is tampering?
Tampering is when a player or team directly or indirectly entices, induces or persuades anybody (player, general manager, etc.) who is under contract with another team in order to negotiate for their services. The NBA may impose suspensions and/or fines up to $50,000 if tampering is discovered, however the league's practice has been to wait until a team lodges a complaint before investigating (but that's not to say they don't continue to monitor the league and won't take action independently if they discover that tampering has occurred). Here are some examples:

• The Miami Heat were discovered to have tampered with Pat Riley in 1995 by negotiating with Riley while he was the head coach of the New York Knicks. The Heat "settled," and avoided league-imposed penalties, by compensating the Knicks with $1 million and their first round draft pick in 1996.
  • The league fined three teams (Hawks, Kings and Rockets) because of team statements to the media, team emails to prospective season ticket purchasers, and articles posted on team websites related to players under contract with other teams, but who would become free agents that summer. For example, Kings coach Michael Malone stated in a press conference that "Chris Paul would look pretty good in a Sacramento Kings uniform."
You may have noticed that when general managers and other team personnel talk to the press, they are careful to avoid talking about specific players who play for other teams. They do this in order to avoid tampering. The only allowed response when talking about players under contract with other teams is to decline comment.

Player-to-player tampering is considered to be a relatively common occurrence, and while technically illegal, it is rarely addressed by the league. For instance during the 2016 playoffs, Mavericks player Chandler Parsons referred to Rockets player Dwight Howard saying, "[. . .] I think he can still be a player in this league. And I think he's going to leave Houston, so why not come here?" Former Commissioner David Stern clarified in 2012 that such player-to-player recruitment is generally "not tampering or collusion that is prohibited."
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q111

magic just need to shut the **** up. they gon troll him to say something and hes too dumb to notice and ooopps... 50 k fine

Hmmm this comment was made
Yet no fine

But yes, there’s no witch hunt going on
I don't think that Magic is being given a fair shake in his comments as a GM, but I don't think that every example of unfairness is a witch hunt.

I don't think that Magic is being given a fair shake in his comments as a GM, but I don't think that every example of unfairness is a witch hunt.
He’s not the GM though
He is president of Basketball operations
He should be held to an even higher standard

Back
Top Bottom