Law help: so my grandma passed few months ago, my aunt took all the inherits..

thanks for all the advice guys.
reason I'm not going directly to a lawyer, is afterall, she's still family. Lawyer would be last resort, but I just really wanted to see what the options were.
I don't live in the states, but it seems generally the rule seems to be the same all over the world (passing away without a will- without a spouse, children should get even amount of inheritance)

Originally Posted by leonard109

reason I'm not going directly to a lawyer, is afterall, she's still family. Lawyer would be last resort, but I just really wanted to see what the options were.
I don't live in the states, but it seems generally the rule seems to be the same all over the world (passing away without a will- without a spouse, children should get even amount of inheritance)

you don't have to take legal action, but a lawyer will tell you what the options are.

Originally Posted by leonard109

you don't have to take legal action, but a lawyer will tell you what the options are.

I don't think NT legal advice threads should be totally discouraged. Be it because of discomfort with formal meetings, that the NTer is young, or any of myriad reasons, it can never hurt to ask. If nothing else, it can help the OP have some sort of insight or direction for when they do go meet with a lawyer.

I don't think NT legal advice threads should be totally discouraged. Be it because of discomfort with formal meetings, that the NTer is young, or any of myriad reasons, it can never hurt to ask. If nothing else, it can help the OP have some sort of insight or direction for when they do go meet with a lawyer.

Where was the money? At a bank? If she had accounts at a bank and your aunt was the sole beneficiary, then thats that. A will wouldnt even help in that specific situation. If the money was in her sock drawer or in some other vehicle then I dont know.

Where was the money? At a bank? If she had accounts at a bank and your aunt was the sole beneficiary, then thats that. A will wouldnt even help in that specific situation. If the money was in her sock drawer or in some other vehicle then I dont know.

Russilthagod to russtheg to realrubirosa. Damb. Anywho, take her to court. She just sounds shady by divvying up the money like that.

Russilthagod to russtheg to realrubirosa. Damb. Anywho, take her to court. She just sounds shady by divvying up the money like that.

It's gonna get real ugly. Talk to her first, see what the deal was and why she did it, and if she doesn't budge then hit up a lawyer and sue her. Hopefully for your own benefit you know exactly what your grandmother's assets were (bank records and what not) and how much your sister took slash split, that way you could lessen the possible conning.

It's gonna get real ugly. Talk to her first, see what the deal was and why she did it, and if she doesn't budge then hit up a lawyer and sue her. Hopefully for your own benefit you know exactly what your grandmother's assets were (bank records and what not) and how much your sister took slash split, that way you could lessen the possible conning.

I'm not a law student but this is from my point of view.  
30t6p3b.gif
 this +#+! happened to my mom in like 2001. her sister did everything like sell off the property to business estate people that wanted to demolish the house (that they had for like 50 years) without even consulting with my mom. then she gave away my grandma's kimono that had short sleeves designed for single women (traditional thing) to a married friend of hers who wouldn't even wear it anymore. She just ruined family heirlooms because she was the closest to the whole thing. 

My mom was very upset because she couldn't do anything to stop her since there was no will written. My grandma said the noble thing is to discuss it peacefully but of course that didn't happen. Later my aunt upgraded my grandma's tombstone without asking my mom for her opinion and then demanded the money. This was 10 years ago when my parents couldn't afford the cost of what it was ($3,000 equivalent in yen) and so she couldn't pay. 

You will be in an ugly situation if you take it into court, and things won't be the same. I won't say whether it is worth it or not to your side of the family, but if you look at what my mom went through which is the same thing as your dad's situation, she just took a bad L and kept it moving. Everything is okay now even though my mom is a little salty about what her sister does. My aunt did send me $400 for my HS grad present.

It's whatever is worth your family dude. If you are willing to duke it out in court and pay law fees for that, then by all means, go ahead, but I wouldn't do it if you had no other problems with your aunt before.

I'm not a law student but this is from my point of view.  
30t6p3b.gif
 this +#+! happened to my mom in like 2001. her sister did everything like sell off the property to business estate people that wanted to demolish the house (that they had for like 50 years) without even consulting with my mom. then she gave away my grandma's kimono that had short sleeves designed for single women (traditional thing) to a married friend of hers who wouldn't even wear it anymore. She just ruined family heirlooms because she was the closest to the whole thing. 

My mom was very upset because she couldn't do anything to stop her since there was no will written. My grandma said the noble thing is to discuss it peacefully but of course that didn't happen. Later my aunt upgraded my grandma's tombstone without asking my mom for her opinion and then demanded the money. This was 10 years ago when my parents couldn't afford the cost of what it was ($3,000 equivalent in yen) and so she couldn't pay. 

You will be in an ugly situation if you take it into court, and things won't be the same. I won't say whether it is worth it or not to your side of the family, but if you look at what my mom went through which is the same thing as your dad's situation, she just took a bad L and kept it moving. Everything is okay now even though my mom is a little salty about what her sister does. My aunt did send me $400 for my HS grad present.

It's whatever is worth your family dude. If you are willing to duke it out in court and pay law fees for that, then by all means, go ahead, but I wouldn't do it if you had no other problems with your aunt before.

Originally Posted by RealRubirosa

StaXX wrote:
Russ what happened to your old name? 

I got tired of it. I had a name before that one, too, but I got tired of that one, too. Rubirosa is a pop culture character with the same birthday as me who I read a biography about and found his life something to aspire towards... In some regards.
So you arent the real rubirosa? 
nerd.gif

StaXX wrote:

I got tired of it. I had a name before that one, too, but I got tired of that one, too. Rubirosa is a pop culture character with the same birthday as me who I read a biography about and found his life something to aspire towards... In some regards.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by JayHood23

StaXX wrote:

nerd.gif

Exposed. Damb, at Frank remembering all my SNs. Didn't think people would even notice.

Originally Posted by JayHood23

StaXX wrote:

nerd.gif

Exposed. Damb, at Frank remembering all my SNs. Didn't think people would even notice.

Back
Top Bottom