Let's get this 2012 thing hashed out

iblink

Banned
Last night I was having a debate with a friend about Armageddon. I disagreed with her notion of 2012. She's a Christian, I'm agnostic.

I know I can get confusing in some of my threads/responses, so I'll break this down in premises. One question that I cannot get answered is this:shouldn't a Christian denounce notions of 2012, as it conflicts with their religion?

DISCLAIMER (I insist you all read this before you click the spoiler): This thread in not intended to criticize, chastise, or falsify any religion. It'sintent is to discover whether there is any truth to the idea of 2012.

Spoiler [+]
P1: The Mayan society was not one based upon a Christian deity, it was based upon multiple deities.

P2: Christianity is centered around a God who tells his worshipers to follow none other but himself

P3: To believe in the Mayan calender would suggest that you hold significant relevance for the calender, comparable to the relevance you hold for the bible; which teaches followers to accept no other Gods but him.

P4: To incorporate the two would mean that Christians are following a false idol, as the evidence from the Mayans is centered around a culture that idolized several deities who allowed for such predictions (like 2012) to be made.

P5: Having relevance for the calender would mean you hold relevance for Mayan deities.

Conclusion: Christians ought not to associate the theory of 2012 with the text found in Revelations.

Originally Posted by iBlink

Last night I was having a debate with a friend about Armageddon. I disagreed with her notion of 2012. She's a Christian, I'm agnostic.

I know I can get confusing in some of my threads/responses, so I'll break this down in premises. One question that I cannot get answered is this: shouldn't a Christian denounce notions of 2012, as it conflicts with their religion?

DISCLAIMER (I insist you all read this before you click the spoiler): This thread in not intended to criticize, chastise, or falsify any religion. It's intent is to discover whether there is any truth to the idea of 2012.

Spoiler [+]
P1: The Mayan society was not one based upon a Christian deity, it was based upon multiple deities.

P2: Christianity is centered around a God who tells his worshipers to follow none other but himself

P3: To believe in the Mayan calender would suggest that you hold significant relevance for the calender, comparable to the relevance you hold for the bible; which teaches followers to accept no other Gods but him.

P4: To incorporate the two would mean that Christians are following a false idol, as the evidence from the Mayans is centered around a culture that idolized several deities who allowed for such predictions (like 2012) to be made.

P5: Having relevance for the calender would mean you hold relevance for Mayan deities.

Conclusion: Christians ought not to associate the theory of 2012 with the text found in Revelations.
YEP YOUR FRIEND IS AN IDIOT

Is that sarcasm?

Not at all, your friend is an idiot and so are any other so-called Christians that are hopping on this bandwagon.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Is that sarcasm?

Not at all, your friend is an idiot and so are any other so-called Christians that are hopping on this bandwagon.

Beleive it or not peoples beleifs these days are progressive, people take different ideologies from other religions and cultures and incorperate it in theirown. If something seems right from a logical stand point to someone they'll believe it.

yea cause god said he was gonna come at the least expected moment or somethin like that.. everyone is expecting 2012 so god wouldnt come at that time. and thepeople who made that calender i think worshipped the sun so.....i could be wrong but i dont think its 2012 is real

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO CLEAR THIS UP ...

ITS ABOUT CHANGE OF TECHNOLOGY , OLD TIMES & WAY OF THINKING , ALIENS, & A SOLAR FLARE TO KNOCK OUT ALL POWER AROUND THE EARTH

SINCE WE ARE NOT FOCUSING ON THAT PROBLEM & WORRIED ABOUT DYING

BECAUSE THINK ABOUT IT

HOW LONG CAN WE LIVE LIKE THIS

ALIENS MUST FEEL BAD FOR US LIVING LIKE SLAVES ON SOMETHING GREATER THEN THOUGHT ...LIFE

I THINK THE POWER KNOCK SHOULD BE A GREAT THING THO

IT GIVES US A CHANCE TO START OVER AGAIN

AND THIS TIME WITH NEW ENERGY TO POWER UP THE EARTH

AND BRING IN NEW IDEAS WHICH WOULD KILL PLANS OF THE NWO IF DONE TODAY AT THIS TIME

THE PEOPLE SHALL DAMANED THE BETTER FOR THE FUTURE

EVOLTION IS CALLING US BY THE WAY ....WE BEEN EXTRA LATE ON A FEW UPGRADES

2012 = NEW HUMANS ...YOU CAN SAY THAT

Originally Posted by Nothin4ever

ITS ABOUT CHANGE OF TECHNOLOGY , OLD TIMES & WAY OF THINKING , ALIENS, & A SOLAR FLARE TO KNOCK OUT ALL POWER AROUND THE EARTH

BECAUSE THINK ABOUT IT

ALIENS MUST FEEL BAD FOR US LIVING LIKE SLAVES ON SOMETHING GREATER THEN THOUGHT ...LIFE

AND BRING IN NEW IDEAS WHICH WOULD KILL PLANS OF THE NWO IF DONE TODAY AT THIS TIME

I beleive you not becuase it is YOU becuase I've belived in this. You have no credibility anymore. Weren't you the dude who was so obsessed with thatalien landing? If it wasn't you disregard my prior statement.

I think Christians shouldn't embrace this theory because of this verse found in Matthew

Matthew 24:36
But of that day(end of the world) and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

So to say that world is going to end in 2012 would be to say you know something that only God Knows.

If you believe in the bible.

Originally Posted by Otis Dont Play That

Originally Posted by Nothin4ever

BECAUSE THINK ABOUT IT

I beleive you not becuase it is YOU becuase I've belived in this. You have no credibility anymore. Weren't you the dude who was so obsessed with that alien landing? If it wasn't you disregard my prior statement.
DONT GOT TO BELIEVE

JUST KNOW WHEN ITS TIME

DONT WONDER WHY U AINT LEAVE

Is that sarcasm?

Beleive it or not peoples beleifs these days are progressive, people take different ideologies from other religions and cultures and incorperate it in their own. If something seems right from a logical stand point to someone they'll believe it.
If you're a Christian believing and following pagan ideologies you're NOT a Christian.

what christian believes the world end at 2012?
nerd.gif

Is that sarcasm?

laugh.gif
you guys kills me. Every-time you guys are in here with your dividing posts, yet claim religion is the main cause of division.

Is that sarcasm?

Beleive it or not peoples beleifs these days are progressive, people take different ideologies from other religions and cultures and incorperate it in their own. If something seems right from a logical stand point to someone they'll believe it.
If you're a Christian believing and following pagan ideologies you're NOT a Christian.

That makes no sense, December 25th is a pagan date, doesn't mean you aren't a christian if you celebrate christmas.

I thought Christians believed that the world was gonna end sometime in the future, but not a specific year or day

I think your friend is more of an idiot than a Christians

Originally Posted by Cz7

I think Christians shouldn't embrace this theory because of this verse found in Matthew

Matthew 24:36
But of that day(end of the world) and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

So to say that world is going to end in 2012 would be to say you know something that only God Knows.

If you believe in the bible.
QFT.

I am not sure whether this was another attempt to make religious people look like idiots, or an actual debate about 2012. Seeing as though I could care lessabout the former I will address the latter. 2012 according to the Mayan calender already happened according to other calenders such as the chinese calenderect....Therfore only an eccentric, and egotistical society would believe that the mayans view of 2012 (which in the chinese calender happened hundreds of yearsago) is only our own and nobody else's. Second, there is no way there would be a film budgeted at 200 million dollars set to portray it if it were actuallytrue.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Is that sarcasm?

That makes no sense, December 25th is a pagan date, doesn't mean you aren't a christian if you celebrate christmas.
LOL everyone knows Dec 25th is an arbitrary date......no one knows when Jesus was born.

SMH @ me even being in this argument like I'm taking a side.....it's all ******$$##

Originally Posted by kix4kix

I am not sure whether this was another attempt to make religious people look like idiots, or an actual debate about 2012. Seeing as though I could care less about the former I will address the latter. 2012 according to the Mayan calender already happened according to other calenders such as the chinese calender ect....Therfore only an eccentric, and egotistical society would believe that the mayans view of 2012 (which in the chinese calender happened hundreds of years ago) is only our own and nobody else's. Second, there is no way there would be a film budgeted at 200 million dollars set to portray it if it were actually true.
QFT, someone already made a thread about why the notion of the world ending in 2012 is ridiculous. The mayan calender is different from thecalender we use today.

Back
Top Bottom