Lets talk about the TSA. Yay or Nay?

Originally Posted by odog24

Originally Posted by theone2401

The tsa was created so the we the people can feel safer and trust our country with trying to make us more secure
its more of a psychological thing to make us feel that after 2001 our country changed and is more secure

But its illegal
laugh.gif
whats illegal???
nerd.gif

Sorry, the TSA is "legal" in the same way that it is "legal" for a cop to pull you over and search your car for no reason. It happens and you cant do anything about it so therefore legal.

But its illegal
laugh.gif
whats illegal???
nerd.gif

Sorry, the TSA is "legal" in the same way that it is "legal" for a cop to pull you over and search your car for no reason. It happens and you cant do anything about it so therefore legal.
So you mean its immoral and not justified?
i agree. 

in my opinion it serves no real purpose other than creating jobs which is why im not against it. i think close to 150,000 or 200,000 jobs were created because of the TSA and I think thats the only thing positive about it

Originally Posted by 59 Piffy

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

I have flown like 8 times since this whole TSA bruhaha and never been patted down. I don't see what the big deal is.

Do people really want to get on a plane with 200 people who haven't been through any type of security checks?

What most people want, is a profiling system where high risk people (read: Muslims) have to go through it and nobody else. Problem is, then when something happens they are still going to want to be mad and blame the security.
you werent patted down, but you were irradiated when you went through the human microwaves

hope you like cancer brah
Wrong.
There are two types of whole body security scanners at airports which are very different than the baggage scanners. Millimeter Wave Scanners use radio waves which are not ionizing (i.e. do not induce cancer). Backscatter Wave Scanners use very weak x-rays at a dose of less than 10 microrem per scan (0.0001 mSv)[sup]19[/sup]. 

For comparison it would take;
    80 airport security scans to equal 1 day of natural background radiation
    200 airport security scans to equal the radiation from a 7 hour flight
    1000 airport security scans to equal one chest x-ray

http://www.xrayrisk.com/faq.php#q17

As a person who works for Tsa I never understand the being groped complaint people have. I never want to touch anyone I do as much as possible to avoid touching people we have the scanner in order to avoid touching people yet people show up and refuse to walk through it and would rather be touched.... People make it seem as if we take joy in patting you down on a summer day when u reek of musk and alcohol as so many show up smelling of.

Originally Posted by Bandit Country

It's the inconsistencies that really bother me. Boarding with a bag full of contact solution at JFK, only to be forced to throw it away when returning home, is absurd.

Those idiots at Miami international threw my cetaphil away.
30t6p3b.gif
+##%* like $15 a bottle!

Originally Posted by thisizdray

As a person who works for Tsa I never understand the being groped complaint people have. I never want to touch anyone I do as much as possible to avoid touching people we have the scanner in order to avoid touching people yet people show up and refuse to walk through it and would rather be touched.... People make it seem as if we take joy in patting you down on a summer day when u reek of musk and alcohol as so many show up smelling of.
I've never had a problem with TSA but Id imagine that most of their workers feel this way. I know I wouldn't want to touch complete strangers.

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

I have flown like 8 times since this whole TSA bruhaha and never been patted down. I don't see what the big deal is.

Do people really want to get on a plane with 200 people who haven't been through any type of security checks?

What most people want, is a profiling system where high risk people (read: Muslims) have to go through it and nobody else. Problem is, then when something happens they are still going to want to be mad and blame the security.

this
i flown a few times too with my family and never been pat down or seen any issues when i was at the airport
laugh.gif

just walked through a metal detector told me to remove what i had and put it on the tray that was it

Originally Posted by thisizdray

Didn't you file an application knowing that you were going to be molesting people? The county I live in, the commission is trying to ban them in the Ft. Lauderdale Int'l airport.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Cancer concerns mount over TSA body scanners[/h1]
By Ken Kaye and Brittany Wallman,

Sun Sentinel

Updated: 7:42 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 25, 2011

Airport body scanners like those used in Fort Lauderdale and Orlando may pose a significant cancer threat, particularly to those over age 65 and women genetically at risk of breast cancer, some medical experts warn.

Because the scanners' lose dose of radiation penetrates just below skin level, it could imperil the lens of the eye, the thyroid and a woman's breasts, said Dr. Edward Dauer, head of radiology at Florida Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale.

"I think it's potentially a real danger to the public," he said, noting that even a small dose could be risky for people predisposed to cancer. "This is an additional exposure."

The Transportation Security Administration insists the scanners are safe and cites independent studies, saying the radiation levels are far below acceptable limits. Still, a growing chorus of scientists and doctors say that even a small dose of radiation could pose unnecessary danger.

The scanners in question use backscatter technology to create an image of a passenger, enabling security officers to see whether dangerous items are hidden beneath clothing. The problem, Dauer said, is the machines emit ionizing radiation.

"Ionizing means it knocks the electrons out of your body, which breaks your DNA chain, which can cause death or cancer," he said.

The TSA has installed about 250 of the scanners at 40 U.S. airports, including 10 Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. Backscatter machines also can be found in the Los Angeles, Chicago and Boston airports and at New York's JFK.

The agency also uses more than 540 millimeter-wave scanners, considered a safer option because they don't rely on radiation. Those machines are in use at Miami and Palm Beach international airports.

After a PBS/ProPublica investigation found the backscatter scanners could cause six to 100 cancer cases per year among U.S. passengers, European authorities prohibited their use at all European airports.

That prompted a renewed wave of concern in the United States.

"Why would you buy a machine that emits radiation if you could buy one that didn't?" said Broward County Mayor John Rodstrom, a frequent flier who makes it a point to avoid the scanners.

At Rodstrom's urging, the Broward County Commission asked the TSA to consider removing backscatter scanners from the Fort Lauderdale airport – unless the agency can prove the machines are safe.

TSA: Scanners safe

From the moment the machines were introduced in Fort Lauderdale, in May 2010, the TSA asserted they are safe for all passengers, emitting less radiation than the amount travelers receive during two minutes of flying in an airliner.

"The safety and security of the traveling public is TSA's number-one priority, and TSA would not use technology that could jeopardize the health of passengers or our employees," agency spokeswoman Sari Koshetz said.

However, comparing the scanners' radiation to that received during an airline flight is "misleading," according to a group of scientists from the University of California, San Francisco.

They said the cosmic radiation that infiltrates airliners is absorbed by the whole body and is thus less dangerous than the low-level radiation of the scanners, which permeates only the skin and underlying tissues. In addition to Dauer's concerns, they said blood and male testicles could be endangered.

In a letter to the Obama administration, John Sedat, a professor emeritus in biochemistry and head of the University of California group, said scanner radiation poses a particular risk to those over age 65 and intensifies the danger to people who already have cancer or HIV. He said the risk to children, adolescents and pregnant women needs to be better evaluated.

The group further fears that if a device within the scanners – used to regulate the amount of radiation emitted – malfunctions, a passenger could be hit with a dangerous dose.

"Because this device can scan a human in a few seconds, the X-ray beam is very intense," Sedat said in the letter. "Any glitch in power … that stops the device could cause an intense radiation dose to a single spot on the skin."

http://www.palmbeachpost....dy-scanners-2056442.html

I always found these scanners funny an quite illegal according Health Practice laws. Only licensed health care professional are able to operate xrays, and these people have no license, certification, or even adequate experience to operate these things. On top of it, and as a clinician who has an Xray machine in a separate part of the office with special walls due to radiation, you people are around them all day for hours. Radiologists aren't even around them as much as these people.

Back
Top Bottom