Let's Talk Unions Anyone Been Affiliated or Parted Ways?

Anyone apart of a union or been apart of a union and decided to part ways? I've been reading up on the perks: scholarships, increased pay (depending), job security. The cons seem to be related to promotions based on seniority and lack of opportunities the company would be willing to offer its employees.

I'm still trying to pull in different sites, but not too many say much of anything really.

I am a member of one of  the most powerful unions in the country. Big business/hedge fun managers are investing in a lot of money to break the unions. I love being a part of a union because it gives me protection, security , and I know I have a collective voice when I want to air my work-related grievances. Attacks on unions is an attack on democracy as without unions workers would be fired at will and treated like second-class citizens.

I'm part of 32bj in NYC. I'm very proud to be unionized and its a shame we don't have more union jobs.

How easy is it to join a union? I always heard of the perks but those in it whom i asked always said something along the lines of "i dont know, my dad got me in".

I am a member of one of  the most powerful unions in the country. Big business/hedge fun managers are investing in a lot of money to break the unions. I love being a part of a union because it gives me protection, security , and I know I have a collective voice when I want to air my work-related grievances. Attacks on unions is an attack on democracy as without unions workers would be fired at will and treated like second-class citizens.

What he said

depends on the union. i was part of one at safeway and the union didn't do ish.
im now part of one with boeing and i love it. automatic raises every 6 months + cost of living, security, better rules, democracy style work place

Sounds like the usual union rhetoric.

If you're lousy at your job you should be fired. Job protection
laugh.gif

Last edited:
x2 on the job protection. You dont know till you or one of your coworkers goes through it but where I use to work if it wasn't for the union the company would of gotten away with unjustly firing several people. While I do agree it does protect the lazy in some cases it does wonders in many others. Some companies will do whatever they want to protect their interest in lieu of respecting their employees rights.

Last edited:
Sounds like the usual union rhetoric.

If you're lousy at your job you should be fired. Job protection
laugh.gif
false sense of efficiency b.

you shouldn't be fired for maternity leave, you shouldn't be fired for handling problems at home with kids, being sick, having a decent break, etc.

unions are da ones that fought to get those rights for people.

outsourcing is whats REALLY killing da unions, same way certain topics GO into da thread about nothing and is slowing up da rest of general.

Union pros:

Legitimate leverage, by virtue of combined numbers and solidarity, to promote change when necessary

Better work conditions

Better wage

Employers can't abuse--(read: work them to death)-- employees as they undoubtedly would without unions

Buying power due to numbers: discounts, health insurance, car/mortgage loans.

Union cons:

Most unions eventually come to overrun their usefulness and then become factions for strong arming employers

Can push wages to levels that are not reasonable given the work being performed

May diminish worker productivity as people know they have union-backed job security

Last edited:
Union pros:

Legitimate leverage, by virtue of combined numbers and solidarity, to promote change when necessary
Better work conditions
Better wage
Employers can't abuse--(read: work them death)-- employees as they undoubtedly would without unions
Buying power due to numbers: discounts, health insurance, car/mortgage loans.

Union cons:

Most unions eventually come to overrun their usefulness and then become factions for strong arming employers
Can push wages to levels that are not reasonable given the work being performed
May diminish worker productivity as people know they have union-backed job security

True. I.e. USPS :smh:

True. I.e. USPS :smh:
Yeah, I know someone with USPS and I swear he should have been fired AT LEAST 3 separate times in the last 5 years. Stuff that would get you fired on the spot in the private industry. Union saved him every time.

UFCW 342 checking in :pimp:. Everything i want to say has been said. But its more of a positive thing having unions around, unless your a business owner :lol:

Back
Top Bottom