Letting a stranger give you a haircut? Yay or Nay?

I'm asking because I've been away at school for about a month now and I haven't really looked for a barber yet. My roommate has some clippers offered to give me a haircut tomorrow. I usually get a 1.5 all around. Just to be safe, I'm gonna tell him to give me a 2. I'm not gonna let him do the line-up though. I figure you can't mess up just the cutting part, right? Any tips or advice?
Excuse the randomness, but I figured I could get some help here.

I'm asking because I've been away at school for about a month now and I haven't really looked for a barber yet. My roommate has some clippers offered to give me a haircut tomorrow. I usually get a 1.5 all around. Just to be safe, I'm gonna tell him to give me a 2. I'm not gonna let him do the line-up though. I figure you can't mess up just the cutting part, right? Any tips or advice?
Excuse the randomness, but I figured I could get some help here.

You take a risk everytime you get somebody new to cut your hair. Every new barber is a stranger
laugh.gif

If he messes you up it'll always grow back.

You take a risk everytime you get somebody new to cut your hair. Every new barber is a stranger
laugh.gif

If he messes you up it'll always grow back.

Why don't you just do it yourself bruh?....When I had short hair, I'd just shave it myself with a #1 all around over and over again until it was all even....took about 20 minutes.

Why don't you just do it yourself bruh?....When I had short hair, I'd just shave it myself with a #1 all around over and over again until it was all even....took about 20 minutes.

Originally Posted by VietStar

This. It saves so much money and it's fast. People think buzzing their own hair is hard but it's not.

Originally Posted by VietStar

This. It saves so much money and it's fast. People think buzzing their own hair is hard but it's not.

He's gotta be a serious idiot if he cant shave you head with clippers. Just stick the guard on and keep shaving til its even. 
laugh.gif
 Shoudnt take more than 10 min.

He's gotta be a serious idiot if he cant shave you head with clippers. Just stick the guard on and keep shaving til its even. 
laugh.gif
 Shoudnt take more than 10 min.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

shaving a head doesn't require skill.

Yes it does. If you have no knowledge of "with the grain" or "against the grain", you're going to end up with an uneven cut.

Human hair grows in all types of directions. Different parts of your head may have hair that grows in different directions. So, "against the grain" for one part may not necessarily be "against the grain" for another. You're going to have to make sure that he shaves in all directions (which is what barbers do) , if you want an even cut.

Most people don't know this but going with the grain leaves you wtih an uneven cut. You're much better off getting a higher number cut and going against the grain to get the equivalent, even cut.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

shaving a head doesn't require skill.

Yes it does. If you have no knowledge of "with the grain" or "against the grain", you're going to end up with an uneven cut.

Human hair grows in all types of directions. Different parts of your head may have hair that grows in different directions. So, "against the grain" for one part may not necessarily be "against the grain" for another. You're going to have to make sure that he shaves in all directions (which is what barbers do) , if you want an even cut.

Most people don't know this but going with the grain leaves you wtih an uneven cut. You're much better off getting a higher number cut and going against the grain to get the equivalent, even cut.

I've only had literally 3 different people in my life cut my hair. the only reason I even have had that many is because I moved and it was a necessity. I ask around and do research first, and make sure I go to a reputible barber. once you know you got a good one there is just no reason to go anywhere else. as for you roomy, I'd say give him a shot with a 2 all across. that is pretty hard to mess up, but I wouldn't let him fade it up.

Back
Top Bottom