living alone and eating healthy...how?

Ive always had a couple roomates. So we would take turns/share the fruits and veggies and what not. Now living alone all I am eating is frozen junk or canned stuff. Everytime i buy something perishable it goes bad in a couple of days. The only way i can get my moneys worth is eating the same meal like 2 or 3 days in a row before it spoils.

to the people who live solo how do you eat healthy? do you go to the grocery store everyday for your fresh food?

Ive always had a couple roomates. So we would take turns/share the fruits and veggies and what not. Now living alone all I am eating is frozen junk or canned stuff. Everytime i buy something perishable it goes bad in a couple of days. The only way i can get my moneys worth is eating the same meal like 2 or 3 days in a row before it spoils.

to the people who live solo how do you eat healthy? do you go to the grocery store everyday for your fresh food?

It's tough man. I feel you on the food spoiling too fast, my damn milk doesn't last me 3 bowls of cereal before it spoils. That's why I buy pints. As far as vergtibles and other perishable stuff, I store it safely. Go every week, buy $40 worth of neccesities and eat it promptly.

It's tough man. I feel you on the food spoiling too fast, my damn milk doesn't last me 3 bowls of cereal before it spoils. That's why I buy pints. As far as vergtibles and other perishable stuff, I store it safely. Go every week, buy $40 worth of neccesities and eat it promptly.

For me it´s so much easier than when I lived with my moms.
Now I only buy healthy food = I only eat healthy food.

go the jared route my mans. subway 5 days out the week
pimp.gif

i cook enough food to last me a few days.

this way i can just put a meal together and pop it in the microwave.  

how many moms did you have?

Now I only buy healthy food = I only eat healthy food.

Carrots, Apples, Bananas,  & Trailmixes (Peanuts/Almonds/Raisins/Craisins) are the only types of snacks i eat.. they all last at least a week for me. 
the only canned goods i stock up on are tuna, chicken, & salmon..

Carrots, Apples, Bananas,  & Trailmixes (Peanuts/Almonds/Raisins/Craisins) are the only types of snacks i eat.. they all last at least a week for me. 
the only canned goods i stock up on are tuna, chicken, & salmon..

Frozen chicken breasts, oatmeal, eggs, whole grain bread. Have some cans of tuna to switch it up your protein. I don't really eat veggie's so I don't know what to tell you bout the fresh green tip.

Frozen chicken breasts, oatmeal, eggs, whole grain bread. Have some cans of tuna to switch it up your protein. I don't really eat veggie's so I don't know what to tell you bout the fresh green tip.

Originally Posted by CJ003

Frozen and canned food isn't all bad. Canned chicken and tuna are good. Canned veggies are all right. Same with frozen veggies.

If you're eating like frozen pizzas and tv dinners then get off that. Buy some meat and fish and throw it in the freezer. It'll stay fresh for a long time. Make sure you fridge is set at the right temp and put bread in their too. Buy whole wheat cereal and bread. Stay away from fruit drinks. V8 is OK. It's not that hard to eat healthy. 

Originally Posted by CJ003

Frozen and canned food isn't all bad. Canned chicken and tuna are good. Canned veggies are all right. Same with frozen veggies.

If you're eating like frozen pizzas and tv dinners then get off that. Buy some meat and fish and throw it in the freezer. It'll stay fresh for a long time. Make sure you fridge is set at the right temp and put bread in their too. Buy whole wheat cereal and bread. Stay away from fruit drinks. V8 is OK. It's not that hard to eat healthy. 

Originally Posted by Fatherless Child

...just sayin'...

Originally Posted by Fatherless Child

...just sayin'...

My buddies make fun of me for eating these, but I love those frozen dinners called "healthy choices" or whatever they are... smart ones too. They are often on sale for around $2 and their paninis are cash. The pasta stuff can be good too. Two of 'em are good for a meal.
I also found this awesome salad bar at my grocery store this summer... load up a big thing of salad and like 20 different toppings for $4.99 a pound... usually shook out to $3 or 4 for a single salad. I always put organic dressing on that thing, too. 

My buddies make fun of me for eating these, but I love those frozen dinners called "healthy choices" or whatever they are... smart ones too. They are often on sale for around $2 and their paninis are cash. The pasta stuff can be good too. Two of 'em are good for a meal.
I also found this awesome salad bar at my grocery store this summer... load up a big thing of salad and like 20 different toppings for $4.99 a pound... usually shook out to $3 or 4 for a single salad. I always put organic dressing on that thing, too. 

Originally Posted by Club29

Microwaving vegetables though takes all the vitamins out of them.  Heat them up in the oven and you should be good.

Originally Posted by Club29

Microwaving vegetables though takes all the vitamins out of them.  Heat them up in the oven and you should be good.

I tend to roast a whole chicken about once a week. It'll break down into a bunch of diff meals. I tend to eat the legs/thighs with veggies, wings for snacking. I'll use the breasts for either chicken salad during warm weather, but lately have been using them in omelets w/tomato/mushroom/onion/garlic. During the winter I use 'em in soup. If you can't eat the whole thing, freeze up a few pieces and have em as a last minute meal.

For vegetables, I only buy what I know I will eat over the next 4-5 days. On an avg week right now, 2 heads garlic, 6 onions, 4-6 heads broccoli, 6 roma tomatoes, a bag of cherry tomatoes, 1-2 bunches bok choy/other leafy greens, hot peppers, 2-4 zuchini. Fruit-wise, 2-4 apples, a few plums, peaches, etc. I live in CA, so we're blessed with weekly farmer's markets. I don't mess with canned fruits/veg, and only try to eat what is in season.

Plan your meals out. Now that I'm watching my nutrition pretty closely, it's not that tough. If you're focusing in on saving money, it's easiest done through buying what's on sale, then freezing by portion. I do that with chicken thighs/legs/breasts or buy a whole thing and break it down into pieces. Fish can freeze well, as long as it's good quality and hasn't degraded already. I don't like freezing steaks or red meat.

Back
Top Bottom