living alone and eating healthy...how?

I tend to roast a whole chicken about once a week. It'll break down into a bunch of diff meals. I tend to eat the legs/thighs with veggies, wings for snacking. I'll use the breasts for either chicken salad during warm weather, but lately have been using them in omelets w/tomato/mushroom/onion/garlic. During the winter I use 'em in soup. If you can't eat the whole thing, freeze up a few pieces and have em as a last minute meal.

For vegetables, I only buy what I know I will eat over the next 4-5 days. On an avg week right now, 2 heads garlic, 6 onions, 4-6 heads broccoli, 6 roma tomatoes, a bag of cherry tomatoes, 1-2 bunches bok choy/other leafy greens, hot peppers, 2-4 zuchini. Fruit-wise, 2-4 apples, a few plums, peaches, etc. I live in CA, so we're blessed with weekly farmer's markets. I don't mess with canned fruits/veg, and only try to eat what is in season.

Plan your meals out. Now that I'm watching my nutrition pretty closely, it's not that tough. If you're focusing in on saving money, it's easiest done through buying what's on sale, then freezing by portion. I do that with chicken thighs/legs/breasts or buy a whole thing and break it down into pieces. Fish can freeze well, as long as it's good quality and hasn't degraded already. I don't like freezing steaks or red meat.

Hit the grocery store and avoid the aisles, shop around the perimeters of the store. I'm not a fan of eating the same foods 3 or more days in a row, I need change. So I'll usually make enough for 3 or 4 meals of whatever and switch it up. I don't cook as often because I eat out a lot (no fastfood/fat foods). Have things you can throw together in minutes like, sandwiches, salads, and always have different meats on deck. Pause. From sandwich meats to bacon to frozen chicken breasts and steaks. Stay with the 100% fruit juices, water, and coke.

Hit the grocery store and avoid the aisles, shop around the perimeters of the store. I'm not a fan of eating the same foods 3 or more days in a row, I need change. So I'll usually make enough for 3 or 4 meals of whatever and switch it up. I don't cook as often because I eat out a lot (no fastfood/fat foods). Have things you can throw together in minutes like, sandwiches, salads, and always have different meats on deck. Pause. From sandwich meats to bacon to frozen chicken breasts and steaks. Stay with the 100% fruit juices, water, and coke.

Originally Posted by USA Pride4Life

eek.gif
@ the mass in ya avy

Originally Posted by USA Pride4Life

eek.gif
@ the mass in ya avy

good looking out everyone. im going to try to find a farmers market around here and go to trader joes. looks like ill shop once a week.

quick ? can i freeze fresh veggies? if so how long?

good looking out everyone. im going to try to find a farmers market around here and go to trader joes. looks like ill shop once a week.

quick ? can i freeze fresh veggies? if so how long?

Diet and cooking healthy is one of the best things you could do as a bachelor. I recently went pseudovegetarian and cooking vegetarian food is sort of a relief for me.

-Buy a rice cooker
-Invest in spices (I have mostly ethnic stuff, mom dukes sent me that Nigerian pepper)
-Buy a recipe book

Cooking healthy saves money and makes you feel great.
pimp.gif

Well aside from exam weeks where you're pretty much forced to eat out but a rice cooker/vege steamer makes like eady.

Diet and cooking healthy is one of the best things you could do as a bachelor. I recently went pseudovegetarian and cooking vegetarian food is sort of a relief for me.

-Buy a rice cooker
-Invest in spices (I have mostly ethnic stuff, mom dukes sent me that Nigerian pepper)
-Buy a recipe book

Cooking healthy saves money and makes you feel great.
pimp.gif

Well aside from exam weeks where you're pretty much forced to eat out but a rice cooker/vege steamer makes like eady.

Originally Posted by airblaster503

Originally Posted by Club29

i cook enough food to last me a few days.

this way i can just put a meal together and pop it in the microwave.  

For me it´s so much easier than when I lived with my moms.
how many moms did you have?

Microwaving vegetables though takes all the vitamins out of them.  Heat them up in the oven and you should be good.

i dont microwave veggies. i i usually just make those fresh

Originally Posted by airblaster503

Originally Posted by Club29

i cook enough food to last me a few days.

this way i can just put a meal together and pop it in the microwave.  

For me it´s so much easier than when I lived with my moms.
how many moms did you have?

Microwaving vegetables though takes all the vitamins out of them.  Heat them up in the oven and you should be good.

i dont microwave veggies. i i usually just make those fresh

yea im not down with microwave veggies or those ones you heat up in a bag either.

yea im not down with microwave veggies or those ones you heat up in a bag either.

HEating veggies takes away their nutrients? How much so? I've been doing this since I started eating right. I buy  the frozen veggies/on the canned ones. 

HEating veggies takes away their nutrients? How much so? I've been doing this since I started eating right. I buy  the frozen veggies/on the canned ones. 

Back
Top Bottom