|| LocK Dis Up ||

How Many Games Do You Project The Lakers Will Win This Season?

• 15-20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 21-25

• 26-30

• 31-35

• 36-40

• 41-45

• 46-50

• 51-55

• 56-73

• They Will Break the NBA Record with 74+ Wins

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I already know the response to this, and why, but I gotta get this off my chest and off my mind.

When Jerry West left to Memphis, I remember reading that a major part of the reason was that he has never seen an organization cater so much to the whims of one player, and he wanted no part of that, so he bailed.

Response: "Whatever, Ska. :lol: Dude loves Kobe. He drafted him."

Why: No links.
I don't remember this at all.

The long standing rumor has been he and Phil did not get along (I believe Jerry did not like the Phil-Jeanie relationship). Plus he was happy to finally see the Shaq-Kobe tandem bring the Lakers a championship, so it was his time to step down from the Lakers and let Mitch take over.

Question: how would I go about trying to get something signed before or after the game?

Question: how would I go about trying to get something signed before or after the game?
Pay a little kid to go up to the players.
laugh.gif
holler at john black

The long standing rumor has been he and Phil did not get along (I believe Jerry did not like the Phil-Jeanie relationship). Plus he was happy to finally see the Shaq-Kobe tandem bring the Lakers a championship, so it was his time to step down from the Lakers and let Mitch take over.

Right? That sounds made up about him disagreeing about the handling of Kobe. The known thing is that he and Phil didn't get along at all. They've both even spoken about it publicly how they couldn't work together and Jerry said Phil had 0 respect for him. But naw, it's Kobe's fault. :lol:

The Los Angeles Times asks West, “You write that coach Phil Jackson ‘absolutely had no respect’ for you, and that as your ‘incredible feeling for the Lakers began to wane’ in the late 1990s, in hindsight, you ‘would have left shortly after (Jackson) arrived,’ in 1999. Why was that relationship so bad?
"I told (Lakers owner) Jerry Buss to hire him,” West responded. “The only thing I cared about was winning, but you want a relationship with your coach. There was no relationship. You felt, ‘This is not the way we've operated, and we've won without him.' You can't win without great players. As good as Phil is, he might improve a team with bad players, but he wasn't going to win. I felt underappreciated by leadership, and leadership is ownership. As we left the Forum to Staples Center, I'd say, 'What am I doing here? What am I doing to myself?' Destructive feelings, a different drama every day. Leaving was the biggest relief of my life. They had just won a championship, and would win two more. It was time for me to go."

Last edited:

Right? That sounds made up about him disagreeing about the handling of Kobe. The known thing is that he and Phil didn't get along at all. They've both even spoken about it publicly how they couldn't work together and Jerry said Phil had 0 respect for him. But naw, it's Kobe's fault. :lol:

The Los Angeles Times asks West, “You write that coach Phil Jackson ‘absolutely had no respect’ for you, and that as your ‘incredible feeling for the Lakers began to wane’ in the late 1990s, in hindsight, you ‘would have left shortly after (Jackson) arrived,’ in 1999. Why was that relationship so bad?
"I told (Lakers owner) Jerry Buss to hire him,” West responded. “The only thing I cared about was winning, but you want a relationship with your coach. There was no relationship. You felt, ‘This is not the way we've operated, and we've won without him.' You can't win without great players. As good as Phil is, he might improve a team with bad players, but he wasn't going to win. I felt underappreciated by leadership, and leadership is ownership. As we left the Forum to Staples Center, I'd say, 'What am I doing here? What am I doing to myself?' Destructive feelings, a different drama every day. Leaving was the biggest relief of my life. They had just won a championship, and would win two more. It was time for me to go."

Damn the Lakers catering to that "one player"

How could Kobe run Jerry West outta LA :lol:

Making up stuff as usual.

In other news we have the highest road attendance in the league even above GS at 99.6%

I already know the response to this, and why, but I gotta get this off my chest and off my mind.

When Jerry West left to Memphis, I remember reading that a major part of the reason was that he has never seen an organization cater so much to the whims of one player, and he wanted no part of that, so he bailed.

Response: "Whatever, Ska. :lol: Dude loves Kobe. He drafted him."

Why: No links.

Good luck with this one brother, you're on your own. :lol:

There's absolutely zero way West thought, or said that about Kobe. The Lakers gave Magic Johnson a "lifetime" 25 year contract, after his second season in the NBA. AND fired the coach for him.

Jerry later chased Shaq to no end, to the tune of at minimum signing Shaq for at least one dollar more than Zo, just so Shaq could say he got more. Jerry even traded two young players to make that happen.

If that isn't a franchise catering to players, above and beyond, I don't know what to tell you.

West may or may not have liked Kobe all that much, but I know for a fact he didn't leave because of that kid. **** Kobe wasn't even much of an issue yet in 2000. West left right after title #1, what had Kobe done, or demanded that would have forced Jerry West to leave? :lol:

I need to see what you read. Lemme guess at it, Bill Simmons write it? Zo? Maybe Antidope? :lol:

I remember it was online, and definitely could have been Simmons for all I remember. :lol:

Wait, no, I'm just making it up. That's what I do, if you let some tell it. Just make stuff up. :lol:

When I have more time, I'll try to search for something, anything. It's ENTIRELY possible I misinterpreted something, but I ain't making nothing up. I know that. I know my vitriol towards Kobe was the second highest at that time, so it's possible Jerry said "I prefer blondes" and I took it way differently. :lol:

I'll look. Cause I remember thinking this whole time that JW didn't like Kobe because of some article I read regarding why he booked to Memphis.

Last edited:
I read somewhere a loooooong time ago that the stress of winning was why Jerry left. Like, he would have to leave Staples and would listen to games in his car because he couldn't handle watching it in person anymore.

Or are we going to go with the theories/rumors instead...?

Not sure how West would leave because of Kobe.. They hadn't really made any concessions for him.

Other than trading Eddie Jones, yes he was an All Star, but so was Glen Rice.. They traded Eddie Jones, to get better in a different position and allow Kobe to play. At the time, Kobe was emerging as better than Eddie Jones, and almost a full 7 years younger, and playing 10 mpg less the season before.

Not sure that is really a concession, as opposed to making a smart decision.

Last edited:
Jerry West left after the 2000 championship because he was burnt out and tired of the stress of running the Lakers.

He said in interviews over the years that it got to the point where he couldn't watch the Laker games and during Game 6 of the 2000 Finals he went to watch a movie and didn't check on the game.

I hear some people saying, “Kobe should just step aside.” That he’s hurting the development of our younger players. He’s not. It’s funny to me, because he’s the third leading scorer in NBA history. You’re gonna tell him which shots to take and not to take? C’mon. This is what Kobe does. For me, it’s the biggest honor to be on the same court, to call him a teammate. I don’t look at it as, Aw, man! He’s stunting my growth! I try to learn as much as I can from him. On the bench. On the court. In the locker room. I’m listening to every little tidbit of knowledge he gives out.

Source:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/nba-rookie-diary-larry-nance-jr-lakers/

Someone tell Byron to please just shut up!

Why he talking about how to approach the upcoming free agency when he knows he won't be here
And on top of that nobody want to listen to what he got to say. He does more harm than good to players in the league

Then he says about 75% of meeting will be about basketball :smh: someone shoot me

Someone tell Byron to please just shut up!

Why he talking about how to approach the upcoming free agency when he knows he won't be here
And on top of that nobody want to listen to what he got to say. He does more harm than good to players in the league

Then he says about 75% of meeting will be about basketball :smh: someone shoot me
Re:
@BaxterHolmes Byron said Lakers failed business-heavy FA meeting with LaMarcus Aldridge taught them that future meetings should be 75% basketball.
:rofl:

75%?!?!? Try 100% you doofus.

I read somewhere a loooooong time ago that the stress of winning was why Jerry left. Like, he would have to leave Staples and would listen to games in his car because he couldn't handle watching it in person anymore.

Or are we going to go with the theories/rumors instead...?
Difference between what you just typed and what I typed a couple days ago is that I really did read what I was presenting; you literally just made that up.

If you want to pretend like you didn't, that's fine, but making something up and asking if rumors are a point of discussion now because of something someone else said that really did happen is literally comparing apples to orangutans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom