|| LocK Dis Up ||

How Many Games Do You Project The Lakers Will Win This Season?

• 15-20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 21-25

• 26-30

• 31-35

• 36-40

• 41-45

• 46-50

• 51-55

• 56-73

• They Will Break the NBA Record with 74+ Wins

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Man Up: My story about life, love, basketball, and how if I knew why we came out with low energy to start the game I would have fixed it"

Jerry West: Luke Walton needs more talented Lakers roster

The history of the Los Angeles Lakers is passion ablaze in purple — Mardi Gras in sneakers. It’s Magic, coast to coast. It’s Kareem’s goggles and Cooper’s socks. It’s Worthy wriggling in the paint. It’s Kobe off the dribble.

It’s Phil Jackson lowering blood pressure and raising expectations. It’s Jack Nicholson peering courtside.

Zero guarantees await Luke Walton, however, when he wades into the heart of Los Angeles to forge an NBA reclamation project of the highest order, re-imagining a franchise wrapped in pedigree no one outside of Boston’s Celtics can truly understand.

When it was time to consider a Lakers-sized coaching leap, the San Diegan bent the ear of the man best equipped to untangle what he’s leaving behind at Golden State and inheriting with a team that’s a sad shell of its Showtime self.

“It’s going to be a challenge,” Jerry West, a Lakers legend and current board executive with the reigning champion Warriors, told the Union-Tribune. “He’s the fifth coach they’ve had in six years. It tells me there’s probably not the talent there you need to allow a coach success.

“That’s what you have to have more than anything, players. You just can’t win with young 18- and 19-year-olds, unless it’s LeBron James or someone like that.”

West, who is so basketball revered that the NBA logo is modeled after him, counseled Walton about the Lakers.

Walton played on a pair of championship teams in Los Angeles, so he knows the city and team while remaining in the comfort zone of his native Southern California. His coaching star glistened when he steered Golden State to a 39-4 start this season after back surgery sidelined Steve Kerr.

Others who likely would fare well coaching Steph Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green: Gary Busey, your kid’s youth soccer coach, the propped-up guy from the movie “Weekend at Bernie’s” and a stapler. That’s a dandy oversimplification, of course — but sprinkled with truth.

In L.A., Walton will be forced to coach … early, often and always. There’s nothing cushy about inheriting a 17-win team working on its fifth coach since Phil Jackson said see ya’ in 2011. The sideline ashes include Mike Brown, Bernie Bickerstaff’s Lakers cup of coaching coffee, Mike D’Antoni and Lakers icon Byron Scott.

At 36, Walton’s set to become the youngest coach in the league.

So, is he up to the task? None of us know, really. That includes West. Walton, after all, doesn’t get to bring Curry, Thompson and Green with him.

“I think if he can get players with that kind of attitude (at Golden State), I think you’ll see big improvement,” said West, reminding that the Warriors built a title run on defense and selflessness illustrated by a league-leading assist total this season.

“But they do need more talent on that team.”

Compiling the Western Conference’s worst record means the Walton-led Lakers, pending draft lottery looniness, are positioned to add a top-tier talent like Duke’s Brandon Ingram or Oklahoma’s Buddy Hield. Magic Johnson urged via Twitter that the franchise needs free-agency aggressiveness, too, starting with a full-court press on Oklahoma City’s Kevin Durant.

And now, for the first time in two decades, it’s not a place defined by Kobe Bryant. The canvas is clean, easel and brush at Walton’s ready.

West identified another potential advantage.

“He’s such a refreshing person, engaging. I think he’ll bring a different vibe there,” said West, 77. “He’s just really pleasant and easy to be around. In a long, grueling 82-game schedule, with all the highs and lows, I think he’ll probably be able to weather that well.

“In the NBA today, with so many young players, that will probably pay a lot of dividends most people don’t understand.”

Others, like FOX Sports Radio’s Colin Cowherd, criticized the hire. Cowherd argued the team needs experience on the bench — like Stan Van Gundy, Brad Stevens and Erik Spoelstra.

West countered that a fresh approach could be a plus, pointing to Atlanta’s Mike Budenholzer. The 46-year-old was named last season’s NBA coach of the year. The Hawks are his first job after serving as Gregg Popovich’s assistant at San Antonio.

No head coaching experience. Worked in a winning system. Took over a team lacking superstars.

Sound familiar?

“You can’t live in the past. If you’re living in the past, that’s a nightmare,” West said. “You have to understand game is changing, the rules are changing, the tempo has changed, everything has changed. You have to have some guys who have a modern approach to the game.”

There’s the interim coaching experience of this season to lean on. If D’Angelo Russell is blowing up the locker room by videotaping teammates — hypothetically, of course — Walton can drop a story about how Curry’s work ethic, the grit and toughness of Green, the blossoming game of Thompson.

West predicted that the Lakers will model the ball-movement traits perfected by Golden State.

“They’ll try to play like us, I guarantee you that,” West said.

That would be a smart place to start.

Source:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...n-lakers-jerry-west-warriors/2/?#article-copy

Billion, trillion, fafillion dollars. 
roll.gif

If Miami is eliminated by Toronto, I highly doubt Whiteside will be kept. Riley will look to make a big splash, and he can't do that if he is to pay Wade & Whiteside. Wade may give some pay cut, but it won't be like Duncan or Dirk. Nor should it be based on how well he played, and giving them pay cuts in the past to field teams and win titles. If they trade McBob as a salary dump. They have $45mil in cap space, and have to sign Wade first has a $30mil cap hold. And they have to sign Whiteside before a FA as well because they do not own his Bird Rights.

Unless Bosh retires, then he'd have the money to pay Wade, Whiteside & sign a name. But if that happens, what's the chances that a name wants to go to Miami, and whether Whiteside will still consider Miami.

I'm fully aboard the Whiteside & DeRozan train.
*Unless KD shows some actual willingness to leave. Or if Batum wants to come play here, but I'd just be adding them to Whiteside & DeRozan.

Those would be the only signings. Almost the rest of the cap space would go to Clarkson. And try to position ourselves for a max contract in 2017.

Last edited:
I think riles will have to pay whiteside, as insurance if bosh comes back and misses more games in the future.
He knows whiteside is immature and will sign with whoever banks up the bricks truck first, his agent will make sure of that. He's not the type to wait, he wants what's coming to him

Don't think they'd force bosh to retire being that he's been on record saying he wants to play, the loyalty factor will definitely come into play and he's already shown his by staying there

Last edited:
Does it matter?

What if Whiteside doesnt want to be second fiddle to a guy who is unreliable? Because he was. Maybe he could be pissed that they had him come off the bench.

Nonetheless, if Riley wants to keep Whiteside. There is no place for that team to go but down.

If they had Whiteside's bird rights then yeah, he'd stay in Miami. But considering they don't and Wade will want respectable money, Riley almost has to go for broke and try to make a bigger signing.

Last edited:
Maybe they're thinking of Ray McCallum cuz we ain't gettin CJ, or Devon Booker for that matter

Lakers fans smh

Had a terrible dream we lost the pick. Spent my morning bummed out until I snapped out of it [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128546[/emoji]

I was totally serious about looking at CJ McCollum.

I wasn't making a comment on how we're getting giddy over guys once they get hot in the playoffs.

Nope, I was definitely suggesting McCollum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom