Looking back at MLB Predictions Vol. at the midway now

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Damn, that's right. I forgot about the Rays. Well, I guess as of last year we can say the East was tougher, but Toronto is gonna fall off. There pitching isn't what it used to be. This year the toughest division in the AL is up for grabs.
Well, yea, their pitching fell off, but I still think they'll manage to win 80-90 games.

95 wins in the AL East might not be enough for the division anymore.

Toronto's pitching isn't what it used to be? The hell are yall talkin about?
laugh.gif
They had the lowest team ERA in baseball by almost a quarter of a runlast year... It wasn't even close...
laugh.gif
The only guy they lost was AJ Burnett... It's gonna slip some, but it's still gonna be damn good andthey've got some good arms in their farm system... Toronto won't compete in the East, but it ain't gonna be for lack of pitching...

Anyways...

AL East - Tampa Bay
AL Central - Minnesota
AL West - Oakland*
AL Wild Card - New York

* Wouldn't be surprised if any of the four teams won... Worst division in baseball...

NL East - Philadelphia
NL Central - Chicago
NL West - Arizona
NL Wild Card - New York

Originally Posted by JoRDaN201

Originally Posted by rc49ers

Why is everyone picking the dodgers to win the west?

Give me Lincecum. And use Colgate!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You guys don't have the offense to win the NL West.
i think you guys are forgetting a certain team.....
NewArizonadbacks.jpg

t1_jupton_icon.jpg
p1.webb.jpg
danharenappaulconnors.jpg
9jnIZfPT.jpg
capt.ecf82a6ad48841e790b3497486d689a2.astros_diamondbacks_baseball_azrd104.jpg
conorjacksonap2.jpg

im not worried about the dodgers

AL East - Tampa Bay
AL Central - Chicago
AL West - Angels
AL Wild Card - New York

NL East - Philadelphia
NL Central - Chicago
NL West - Arizona
NL Wild Card - Florida

Originally Posted by rc49ers

Why is everyone picking the dodgers to win the west?
because its the nl west and there the best average team in a crappy divison. that being said they got in the playoffs and made some noiselast year so who knows what can happen if they win the divison again

AL East - Tampa Bay
AL Central - Cleveland
AL West - Anaheim
AL Wild Card - Boston

NL East - Philadelphia
NL Central - St. Louis
NL West - Los Angeles
NL Wild Card - Florida

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

but Toronto is gonna fall off. There pitching isn't what it used to be.
No?

Starters: Halladay, Marcum, McGowan, Litsch
Bullpen: Ryan, League, Downs, Carlson

Yeah, I left out that AJ Burnett was a huge part of that rotation, and those pitchers will move up one spot in the rotation and in effect will lose some value(I believe). What I originally wanted to mention was that the pitching isn't effective enough to make up for a sub par lineup. In total, the Torontopitching staff will disappoint this year, and don't include Ryan on the list of great pitchers just yet. Closers have a short life span in the league andhe spent most of last year on the DL.

The lineups they face in the AL East will ruin their ERA this year.

Quote me if you'd like. I'll be right.
laugh.gif

They had the lowest team ERA in baseball by almost a quarter of a run last year
If I recall correctly, the Blue Jays also played in the AL East last season.

I understand this, but the Yankees are even tougher and so are the Rays (more experienced). The Sox are the Sox. It's ok, I know you don't see it, butI do.

They won't reduplicate what they did last year. Mark my words KLJ.

I'm interested to see how Quentin bounces back from that broken wrist...

Dude had a breakout season last year...

HR #s
2006 w/ ARZ: 9
2007 w/ ARZ: 5
2008 w/ CWS: 36
eek.gif

Granted, he only played 57 major league games in 2006 and 81 in 2007 but still...talk about a breakout year. If he had played during September last year hepotentially could've gotten to 45
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by JPZx

Hmmm...I don't know about the Sox (not just saying this because of Stringer) because it seems like they've gotten worse this off-season on account of clearing cap. Their departures include Javier Vazquez, Nick Swisher, Joe Crede, Juan Uribe, and Ken Griffey Jr. who all contributed something to the Sox winning the AL Central. None of them played major parts, but all of them contributed.

They weren't even expected to contend last year, and if you consider the fact that they haven't done much to improve (best off-season addition being Bartolo Colon
sick.gif
) I really don't consider them contenders. Obviously, I could be wrong, but we'll see..

The three teams I think have the best shot are the Indians, Twins, and Tigers (in that order). Who I think will win? The Twins and I'm trying to keep all bias aside. We finally have a legitimate 3B who has a glove and a bat, signed Luis Ayala who's had some very good years, and now it looks like we're targeting Juan Cruz. We need to keep Crede healthy though..

So I agree, the AL Central is up for grabs but I don't think the White Sox are one of the teams that could take it...like I said, I think the Twins will be at the top after 162 but I expect it to be a close race all Summer long
smokin.gif

Javier Vazquez= addition by subtraction, son cant pitch in any kind of moment. Nick Swisher= Nice presance, but Paul Konerko having a complete, full seasonshould help. its actually good that hes gone if Paul plays good the whole season, cause he would be stuck on the bench. Ken Griffey Jr = Great player andperson, but he hit 3 HR's in a white sox uni while he batted like 275, I will pass on that type of season. Juan Uribe= loved his D at 3rd, but he stillcant hit for nothing. If Fields bats 260 again in a full season, he will get double the RBI's, and HR's that Uribe provided. Joe Crede= I wish he washealthy last year. But I dont think that he will out perform Fields this season. Orlando Cab= I am happy we got rid of him. They trimed payroll and will getbetter. TCQ should hit 45 this year, Alexei will run more often, and hit more Hr's too, Fields if healthy will be an improvement over what we got at 3rdlast season. Paul, will be hopefully healthy, Thome will be Thome. Gordon Beckham will be at 2b by June, Dye should have another good season. Mark Buehrle ,should have a better season, Lance Broadway will replace Javy at 5th starter and prob be better, Floyd, and Danks should improve. The pen needs to stayhealthy.

They had the lowest team ERA in baseball by almost a quarter of a run last year
If I recall correctly, the Blue Jays also played in the AL East last season.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I don't understand the notion that they're gonna just completely fall off on the mound either... It makes no sense whatsoever...

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

^ Carlos Quentin had all the makings of a one year wonder.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif
What's so damn funny?

A statement made out of pure ignorance

Well he does. Look at the numbers. That or steroids?

Man, I'm getting roasted tonight. Ya'll will see.

By the way I'm talking more so about the starting rotation than anything. You have Halladay who was the obvious catalyst at 20-11 with a 2.74 ERA. He willprobably have similar numbers. Even though you're taking out Burnett who had the second highest ERA among the starters, you're taking away a huge cogin the rotation not to mention Shaun Marcum out for the year who was the third pitcher. That's two of your top 3 starters gone. You move everybody up onespot. They are asked to do much more.

Only Litsch had a decent year, but his K/BB ratio was 3/1. That's alright, but not so good especially against the AL East.

Who else is there? A bunch of unproven arms and an injury proned Clement? What am I missing? They won't repeat what they did.

AL West: Angels (Nobody else in the division is close to them)
AL East: Bo Sox (Really like what they have done this offseason)
AL Central: Tigers (Toss up here, but I like the Tigers offense)
WC: Tampa or NY

NL West: Dodgers (If Manny signs)
NL East: Philly
NL Central: Cincinnati (Best pitching staff in the division, just need to score some runs)
WC: Cubs, with the Mets choking during the final week

I don't really know about the awards yet.

Originally Posted by jdcurt2

NL Central: Cincinnati (Best pitching staff in the division, just need to score some runs)

I don't mean to argue this, but what have they done this off-season?

Sign Smoltz and Penny? AJ + Burnett>>> Smoltz + Penny

Correct me if I'm wrong

Originally Posted by jdcurt2

if you guys are going to clown on me, ya gotta roast this dude too for thinking the Reds are going to win the division. equal opportunityroasting.

Originally Posted by JaysForDays

if you guys are going to clown on me, ya gotta roast this dude too for thinking the Reds are going to win the division. equal opportunity roasting.
It makes more sense than saying that the Nats would be going to the WS.

And that Dukes will hit as many HR's as he has kids.

And that Milledge is a star OF.

And that Zimmerman is better than Wright.

And that............

The list goes on.

Back
Top Bottom